wakey

Have to love the 535d....

Popped over to the local VW dealership today for a test drive in a new Golf R estate. Good deal being pre reg etc etc.

Car looked really smart and the boot was just what I need ie no lip.

Then came the test drive; youngish sales chap encouraged my to put my foot down a little to see how well it accelerates.

I'm not exaggerating whatsoever but the in gear performance fell way short of the 535d shove. I had to try it a few times just to make sure the 'box was dropping down to a lower gear.

I know the R would leave the 535d on the traffic light grand pix but to be honest that's not my thing - too old for that nonsense. For daily driving its the in gear shove that I enjoy.

I went with the intent and optimism to buy but the thought of finding 30k to buy it left me cold. My 140k mile car felt in a different league for what I need.

So as I suspected if I am to get an estate it's going to have to be an F11 535d unless a nice E61 comes up.

So I guess the point of this thread is to sing the praises of these great cars and their storming engines!

We went to Newcastle from Barnsley a couple of weeks ago and I lost count of the number of R's that we saw, also becoming the choice of the chav around here.

The problem with the Golf R is that you can get them on really good lease deal which equates to the masses being able to afford them. I know we b***h and moan about the old E60/E61, im guilty of it. I moan about my 535D E61 constantly but everytime I clock it parked outside the house i think yeah what a car!! it looks fantastic and goes like a stabbed rat. 

It was the R estate that I looked at so maybe not as conspicuous as the hatch but I agree there are lots of young lads razzing around in them most likely on lease deals

This is my first 5 series and even with more performance, I don't think I could go back to a hatchback. It's the difference between 'can't wait to get out' and 'don't want to get out' after a 2 hour drive.

Something I've noticed about the R is that they appear to have quad exhausts, yet if you look closer, only two of the pipes show any signs of use....:huh:

Something I've noticed about the R is that they appear to have quad exhausts, yet if you look closer, only two of the pipes show any signs of use....:huh:

I noticed that very thing this morning even pointed it out the mate i was with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, dj1233 said:

the other 2 pipes start working when the car is in for an MOT . . . . . . ;)

:lol:

Hi,

If your 535d is standard and you really enjoy it's mid range acceleration and 'shove', get a stage 1 re-map and you'll be even more astonished !  ;)

The only issue there is when you are using the loud pedal more 'spiritedly', the already relatively mediocre fuel consumption figure...  gets worse !

Cheers, Dennis!

At least the 535D`s have two real exhausts! I imagine the Golf R to be a lot of fun on the twisty stuff and there is a company up here newr me DTUK that are fundamentally a diesel / petrol tuner providing tuning boxes and pedal boxes, they claim that they have a Golf R that can do 0-60 under 4 seconds. I have one of their boxes on the mine and it has transformed the car. Fuel consumption is lsightly better albeit not a lot, but driving one of these fuel consumption isnt top of the list!

14 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

If your 535d is standard and you really enjoy it's mid range acceleration and 'shove', get a stage 1 re-map and you'll be even more astonished !  ;)

The only issue there is when you are using the loud pedal more 'spiritedly', the already relatively mediocre fuel consumption figure...  gets worse !

Cheers, Dennis!

+1 for the remap. It will feel like a totally different beast :wink: