Ram Rod

Does anyone know a really good BMW service department?

All I hear is members moaning about one BMW franchise or another, but is there one out there which gives really exceptional customer service? Because of the long service intervals, I would be prepared to drive a long way for a good garage especially one that looks after forum members.

I must admit when I tried to book my first service in the UK with a BMW franchise, the few I rang seemed to be inundated with work, so in the end had it done in France although less convenient. They seemed to do a good job though.

Of course, an independent may be better. What is your experience?

London Park Lane, but their service branches are in Battersea. They are the only two that are not franchises. They even drop you off at Stockwell station once you drop your car off, and pick you up at the same spot when it's time to collect.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, marquisofraspberry said:

Park Lane is where I've had the best treatment/service, also really handy if you have a day out in London planned, no parking charges. Next best is Worcester. Chandlers Ford,Salisbury and Hook have all been mediocre.

I didn't like chandlers ford either. Anyone tried snows Portsmouth I'm looking to try them towards the end of the month.

Edited by sams255

That's a good tip about Park Lane. Thanks.

It's the one on Stewart's Lane I went to. I was very lucky in the sense I had a major service due and a service pack I didn't even realise I had until 2 weeks prior. Saved around £550-600. I always pop the bonnet and check everything after a service and I can say I was happy with the job, and the level of service they provided. You do feel like you're part of some 'special club' whilst in the waiting area, and I got to have a look at the new 7 Series whilst I was at it. It was a good day out

Oh, they also film around your car when you come in to cover themselves against any scratches etc. I chose them because this is my first BMW and I've read so many bad reviews of BMW franchises I only wanted to go direct. I wish they would scrap this franchise nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Ram Rod said:

That's a good tip about Park Lane. Thanks.

Careful where you park though as the front of their building is outside the congestion charge zone, the rear is in the zone! Might be best to ask about this at booking time.

I've always had good treatment from Cotswold BMW. I always used the Gloucester branch but now they have a massive flagship branch near M5 Jn 11. Looking forward to visiting it.

Rybrook Worcester have always been spot on although I would be tempted to try Cotswold also as they sponsor alot of forums and Ed puts alot of effort in to it. 

On 04/10/2017 at 12:11 PM, marquisofraspberry said:

Careful where you park though as the front of their building is outside the congestion charge zone, the rear is in the zone! Might be best to ask about this at booking time.

Thanks for the tip. Mr car has a French registration and have driven through London free of charge.....so far

The trouble with the OP's question is that it is subjective.  What is "good"? 

Some will tell you it's the "free" coffee, the "free" wi-fi, the nice seats the very attractive receptionist or the lovely service advisor.  Some will like the air-conditioned 2-storey showroom with the opportunity to sit in an M5, M2, X6 whatever,  and free brochures on stuff they're not going to buy.

I'm simple.  For me it's the following:

1.  When I phone up for a service, they answer within 20 seconds.

2.  They fit the service in within a week of me calling them 

3.  They quote the price in advance so that I can get competitive quotes and then decide where I go.

4.  They offer a "service while I wait" which takes 2 hours or less.

5.  They provide a place where I can work for those 2 hours.

6.  They do what it says they do.  I've been in BMWs for at least a decade and nearly 200,000 miles and have always used BMW dealers.  I still have to check after each service that they have indeed changed the oil, the oil filter and pollen filters.  I always mark replaceable components with something only I know before I go in.  About 70% of the time they they replace them all.  And they still do not drop the oil out of the sump plug, they suck it up the dipstick tube leaving all the c**p in the engine.  I know this because I have "dash" cams installed where you would not expect...  

BMW UK take note (Come on , I can dream, as if BMW UK ever read these posts...).  The franchise model is fundamentally flawed because it is not about customer service, it's about making money.

Edited by Johnny Grabble

I use cooper reading, they went above and beyond to help me with my clutch and flywheel issue and ensured the job was perfect. They beat the online price for my brake fluid change and actively help me with saving money and getting a good job done. I usually take my work with me and sit in their swanky reception while jobs are done. Very impressed every time I visit. 

On 08/10/2017 at 6:53 PM, Johnny Grabble said:

The trouble with the OP's question is that it is subjective.  What is "good"? 

Some will tell you it's the "free" coffee, the "free" wi-fi, the nice seats the very attractive receptionist or the lovely service advisor.  Some will like the air-conditioned 2-storey showroom with the opportunity to sit in an M5, M2, X6 whatever,  and free brochures on stuff they're not going to buy.

I'm simple.  For me it's the following:

1.  When I phone up for a service, they answer within 20 seconds.

2.  They fit the service in within a week of me calling them 

3.  They quote the price in advance so that I can get competitive quotes and then decide where I go.

4.  They offer a "service while I wait" which takes 2 hours or less.

5.  They provide a place where I can work for those 2 hours.

6.  They do what it says they do.  I've been in BMWs for at least a decade and nearly 200,000 miles and have always used BMW dealers.  I still have to check after each service that they have indeed changed the oil, the oil filter and pollen filters.  I always mark replaceable components with something only I know before I go in.  About 70% of the time they they replace them all.  And they still do not drop the oil out of the sump plug, they suck it up the dipstick tube leaving all the c**p in the engine.  I know this because I have "dash" cams installed where you would not expect...  

BMW UK take note (Come on , I can dream, as if BMW UK ever read these posts...).  The franchise model is fundamentally flawed because it is not about customer service, it's about making money.

I was going to expand on your points...........in the end it's all about the people.  If an organisation is run by people who don't deserve to be in position of influence and responsibilty then the net outcome is going to be c**p.  For example, oil change from dipstick - Just a lazy bast**d who doesn't want to use the ramp. This is because the Service Manager is weak and has no clout or corrupt.

BMW are no better; some F series leak like a sieve, after three generation they still can't sort out the air springs and they have been dragging their feet with the N47 engine (timing chain) and the later iteration is no better.  The problem is recrutiment, not the Franchise model itself. Garbage in, garbage out. get sh*t people to run a business, it will always be sh*t.

On 05/10/2017 at 8:27 PM, sanjx said:

Rybrook Worcester have always been spot on although I would be tempted to try Cotswold also as they sponsor alot of forums and Ed puts alot of effort in to it. 

I was going to go to cotswold for my service this month even though it's over an hour for me. Found a good indy locally but honestly have no decent BMW dealers near me. 

Someone posted above they replace everything they said they'd do 70% of the time is poor, arguably criminal. I give you what you paid for 70% of the time, I'm stealing off you 30% of it.

I have used Snows in Portsmouth for as many years as I care to mention. Brilliant service department. I have built up a great rapport with them over the years and I can always trust them to look after my car. No issues at all.

It's all down to finding a good service department in the first place and then building a rapport with them preferably via the service manager or someone with oily hands. I spent around 40 years using the same VW dealer and they were a pleasure to deal with. So far I have fought shy of doing that with BMW and used an indy or even local garage for simple stuff.