rc944

What winter wheel/tyre combo

Alas that time of year again and im wondering what to go for this time.... its currently wearing glorious style 66's with dunlop sportmaxx (were already on) but ill need something a bit more snow friendly.... the alpina has some aging pilot alpins on 16" style 44s which look crap but they were cheap and alpina are quite specific on tyre choice

my previous e39 had nokians on style 81s which i think looked ok but it was a 17" rim so not ideal... not sure i can stomach turbines so i guess its 48s  or 18s?

as the 66's have different offsets front and rear do i need to use spacers? 

I just use turbines and 225/55/16 Michelin Alpin A4 tyres

Not overly bothered by looks; more bothered by the winter tyres doing their job in cold/wet weather, standing water and more than likely snow & ice when we go up to Dunkeld in Feb etc

I gave my turbines a quick refurb and they're sat in the garage waiting to have the tyres fitted:

IMG_20170920_144744.jpg

I've got turbines with good year winter tyres. They don't look good but the grip from the tyres in cold conditions is really good. I got mine from Costco for a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was using the same as Dan, Alpin 4s on turbines. They look a little anaemic, but they do a great job in the snow and ice, used them all of last winter in French and Swiss Alps.

Now changing to a square set of 66s (to accommodate larger brakes), probably with Michelin again. I am a little concerned the extra width is going to reduce the grip in the snow, but I won’t be pushing the limits.

anyone used nokians, vreds or michelins to make a meaningful comparison? i could default to pilot alpins but never tried any side by side to know whats actually better

Vred winter tyres are good, so are Avons

The Barum Polaris 3s get rave reviews too FYI and about same price as the Avons. 

Personally I'd stay away from premium brand tyres for winters, IMO, you're simply paying through the nose for their name!