d_a_n1979

FFS; again?! When will the (the USA) learn re guns?!

37 minutes ago, pidgeonpost said:

Some more stats from Auntie. Unbelievable (almost) that the support for more control of handguns is falling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41488081

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest; constantly tell people they're under threat from 'bad guys' and the more paranoid ones will start thinking - in America anyway - "I'd better protect myself and my family" from an alien 'other' that threatens my lifestyle.

And in America, that means a gun. Or living in a walled, gated community.

Some more stats from Auntie. Unbelievable (almost) that the support for more control of handguns is falling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41488081

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Truly shocking stats. One would think based on the all too common rethroic that America's biggest and only problem revolves around Extremist Terrorism seeing as that was a buzz word during the presidential campaign yet thoes atrocities account for the minority of killings.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Just a thought here.

Were gun ownership to become as liberalised in the UK as it is in the US... how many people on here would buy one who currently don't own one, for whatever reason? I'm hoping that, being British, we'd find the idea abhorrent.

America just likes guns and Americans don’t like being told what they can and can’t do.

Using the second amendment as an excuse for gun ownership is ridiculous, for one it says the right to bear arms is within an organised militia so that you could overthrow a hostile government, secondly that government has tanks, Apache gunships etc! I don’t think an assault rifle would be much use against them. 

If Sandy Hook couldn't change American attitudes towards guns, then nothing will.

Everything after Sandy Hook is just more pain that Americans feel bound to accept to preserve a 250 year old notion on a bit of a paper.

If the number of handguns isn't madness enough where do assault rifles fit in with self protection? What conceivable reason can there be for flogging them to Joe Public other than to make money?

5 hours ago, kobayashi said:

Using the second amendment as an excuse for gun ownership is ridiculous, 

Agreed. It was written 250 years ago when "Arms" meant knives, swords, spears, clubs, and, at a push, Muskets. 

Not the semi automatic rifles and easily-concealed powerful handguns that we see today

The shooting at the Oregon college in 2015 was the 994th mass gun attack in the US in 3 years. So that is about 3313 every ten years. OK, the US has a population 5 times ours so comparing like for like, that would work out at about 663 for us. We actually get 1.  Of course, you have as much chance of convincing the cousins that owning guns is not a good thing as convincing a three year old that, actually, you cannot survive on ice cream.

This article makes a serious attempt to explain why they want them. Doesn't mean they will change any time soon though.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2015/oct/07/gun-demanding-control-firearms-psychology

Edited by whiskychaser

A trivial statistic from the New York Times:

Number of Americans killed on battlefields in all wars in history: 1,396,733

Number of Americans killed by firearms in the US since 1968: 1,516,863

BBC News at Ten last night reported that since this latest mass shooting 87 more Americans have died by shooting. The Beeb reported it as 'a Las Vegas massacre every 3 days'. Pretty shocking but also a bit of a distortion as most gun related deaths are suicides apparently.