dan101smith

Premium rear speakers

Anyone got the OEM premium rear parcel shelf speakers fitted? I have questions!

1. What size are the woofers in there?

2. How does the unit attach to the parcel shelf?

3. Anyone got a pic of their shelf with the premium speakers removed?

My M5 has always had aftermarket speakers fitted to the shelf since before I bought it. I'd like to see if I could easily retrofit the premium speakers to replace them with something a bit more OEM.

Ta!

15 hours ago, dan101smith said:

Anyone got the OEM premium rear parcel shelf speakers fitted? I have questions!

1. What size are the woofers in there?

2. How does the unit attach to the parcel shelf?

3. Anyone got a pic of their shelf with the premium speakers removed?

My M5 has always had aftermarket speakers fitted to the shelf since before I bought it. I'd like to see if I could easily retrofit the premium speakers to replace them with something a bit more OEM.

Ta!

Hey Dan,

I have had premium speakers retro-fitted to both the Diamantschwartz Eta and the Zobelbraun Eta.

As far as I know the premium speakers fit straight into the holes and screw fixing points for the standard speakers but you will need longer screws due to the increased height of the premium enclosure.

Picture of the Diamantschwartz Eta hybrid fit:

large.IMG_1269.JPG.f0d89e9c480f5e1bd1dfbe2a75a1345f.JPG

large.IMG_1256.JPG.d83e9b184643f95e592a9f5550ea30d7.JPG

Parcel shelf before premium speakers were fitted:

Image.thumb.jpg.ec305a2b0a1feb741cd7eb670750489a.jpg

Regards,

Mick

On the underside of your parcel shelf you will see the holes for the speakers are pre-cut. I thought the sound system is a bit larger than the normal speaker.

The hole for 2 screws correspont with the normal speaker and 2 are in a different place. However, the 2 "new" holes are already present in the cardboard of the parcel shelf. Just replace the 2 metal clips that hold the screws from the old to the new position, slide them on underneath the upholstery of the shelf. Now place the sound system speakers on top and fit the screws.

If you ever go back to normal speakers you will just have a small hole in the fabric of 2 sound system speakers on each side, but this won't be very noticible. That's why you should not cut the new holes open but just screw through the fabric.

Hey Dan,

Here are some photographs of the underside of the parcel shelf showing the two sets of OEM screw holes:

large.IMG_1552.JPG.291a1861d25258542e241262fe75ebdd.JPG

The set of 4 holes close to the speaker cut out are for the standard speaker.  The second (wider & longer) set of 4 holes are for the premium speaker:

large.IMG_1555.JPG.dc27f45fa582c1743c1007576980cf67.JPG

large.IMG_1554.JPG.60f3688b61070d1e8f47a4de743a57a5.JPG

Premium speakers were fitted as standard to quite a lot of the US market cars so they come up for sale on "mye28.com" quite often so might be worth a browse.

good luck with your quest.

Regards,

Mick

Thanks for all the info. 

My shelf has been “adapted” at some point for aftermarket speakers, however I’ve ordered some premium speaker pods from the US so once they arrive i’ll Have a look at making them fit. They’re coming bare so I can add my speakers of choice. 

Dan, 

I do have a brand new rear shelf in black ordered by mistake. I wonder if this might be the answer 

to your problem. As you can see from Mick's pics the "premium" LS holes are ready scored for cutting

and offer the alternative shape required.

PM  me for further info.

kind Regards,

Ivor

Hi Dan,

Sorry to have been so late in replying but I've been a little unwell over the last few weeks.

Please find enclosed images of the rear of the "Premium" L.S. as you will see the crossover is actually part of the

L.S. which comprises of a BMW unit with the coil glued to the chassis and the capacitor soldered in.

I bought mine from the U.S. and they arrived with immaculate cabinets  but with one bass/mid driver faulty.

A good tip is that the original bass/mid unit can be sourced from BMW as used in e38 7 series, swop the coil and capacitor over and voila. The coil can be removed carefully with a Stanley knife to cut through the glue and re-glued on to the fresh unit.

I happened to have a couple of spare units, one of which helped repair the "Premium"  shelf speaker and the other one replaced faulty unit in my e38. 

BMW e28 premium LS rear view..jpg

Edited by Taffy 1