Tom Ballard

Looks to be an end to an era :( 535d gearbox issues

I feel your pain..my 2006 535d has been an absolute pain in the arse from day 1...problem is that when it’s all working i love it...had it 6 years now and am hoping to hold onto it for another year or two max.

i think if anything else died on it I’d give up..

640d next I think....love them,but this 5 has really got me questioning bmw reliability 

I feel your pain..my 2006 535d has been an absolute pain in the arse from day 1...problem is that when it’s all working i love it...had it 6 years now and am hoping to hold onto it for another year or two max.

i think if anything else died on it I’d give up..

640d next I think....love them,but this 5 has really got me questioning bmw reliability 

See mine has been fantastic to me! For a 2004 with already relatively high mileage when I bought her, 160k, the only things I have carried out on her really are what others on the forum suggested. It was a weekend hobby to strip her down and check her through. It was just the Achilles heal that took it down I the end. A cancer if you like, that bloody gearbox.

I wish I had never serviced it......

I do love the 6er too. Not too fond of the old shape but the new one is class. I did think about it getting either a 6er or an X5, but like you, I question the reliability of a BMW now. With all the idrive, gearbox, swirl flaps, egr, dpf issues etc etc etc.

I enjoyed my time with the 535d, it’s taught me a lot about mechanics and even myself. But the ‘bat mobile’ as my kids called it, is sat on the drive and will be up for sale very shortly :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of people into 535d in the area pal, so don't think you will have a problem shifting it.

The poles around here especially love them .. And most of them are mechanically minded or know somebody who is ... So a gearbox won't put them off if the price is right and the otherwise spec of the car is good.

6 hours ago, Tom Ballard said:

but like you, I question the reliability of a BMW now. With all the idrive, gearbox, swirl flaps, egr, dpf issues etc etc etc.

It isn't a question really but a fact - BMWs are not as reliable as they used to be. Their reputation has been shot to pieces now. Petrol engine issues e.g. N53 direct injection, V8 issues, and then the diesel engines most commonly the 2.0 diesel timing chain etc.  But in all fairness the same can be said of some other manufacturers - as cars become more complex, there is more to go wrong. And some of those things aren't just BMW issues, e.g. DPF. And the ZF box is used in other cars too.

Edited by Tuvoc

All the issues with the 535d autobox, from what I've read, seem to occur with the pre lci 'box.

Were there specific changes made to the 'box or is it more case of being age related?

Edited by wakey

9 hours ago, Tom Ballard said:

I wish I had never serviced it......

Makes no difference, it's was going to breakdown.

1 hour ago, wakey said:

All the issues with the 535d autobox, from what I've read, seem to occur with the pre lci 'box.

Were there specific changes made to the 'box or is it more case of being age related?

Pre-LCis are typically running over 150k miles. With anything mechanical, there is wear & tear and don't expect it run like 10K miles when it has covered over 150K miles.

I think that reliability hasn't kept pace with complexity. Twenty years ago many of the electrical and electronic gizmos were virtually unheard of on the average car. Nothing wrong with having a few nice toys but sophistication without reliability is the stuff of nightmares.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

^ I think it's more relatively speaking cars are cheaper and can now be considered white goods. Built to last x years and x miles then thrown away.

^ Agreed. It's hard and becoming harder to keep a modern car going into its old age. Once it was rust that was the death sentence but that's less likely today. A friend traded her early but spotless Audi TT because of electrical gremlins that her garage eventually attributed to the whole wiring system starting to fail in several places. Once you get the symptoms of electronic multiple organ failure it can be a slippery slope.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

BMW looms etc are far far better quality than Audi / Merc fact. Pre lci box was the same bar the gear shifter.

12 hours ago, kjb1 said:

Pre lci box was the same bar the gear shifter.

Yes, it's the oldest ones that fail first, age and mileage (assuming the pre LCi have more miles under their belt) taking its toll rather than any thought that a technical upgrade making the boxes in the LCi ones perceived as more reliable.

3 hours ago, AutomaticTransmissions said:

Sounds to me like e-clutch has failed. Max is probably £1,500

James

Hurumph when my Eclutch went on my E60, I was quoted twice that, hence F10 ownership.