chicaneuk

Reviving E39 530D Webasto.. IT LIVES! AT LAST! And dead again.

Annoyingly I just garaged the 530d and switched over to my 523i for a few days but will try and remember to get back over to the lockup to grab a picture from the MID for you :) 

No worries, whenever you can would be great.

One other thing thats nagging a bit, di editing the digit in the SA line and writing the new ZCS code to the EWS, IHKA and IKE the only codong needed or are there additional steps in reading and editing a trace file?

OK, went back to the car, K bus issue has gone away so i was able to do some tests. So ignition on, engine off, on the far left of the MID i do get HEAT ON although its almost impossible to read. If i press this i get the flashing red LED on the right of the MID. Turn the ignition off the far right of the MID says HEAT OFF (this section of the display works fine) and pressing it turns the flashing LED off. This is all as expected apart from the Heater controller not powering up but i guess the webasto unit sends a signal to do this and as its not yet instelled that would be a good explanation.

Thanks ChicaneUK and Clavurion for your assistance. Looking forward to getting a Webasto in there and properly tested, then i can get one of there installed and lose the dodgy MID once and for all  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E38-E39-E53-Webasto-Park-Heating-Remote-Control-Activation-Module-BIC-104B/122727655468?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 !

Are your pixels all shot on the MID? It's really not a terrible DIY to do (replacing the ribbon cable inside), to be honest :)

Coincidentally after all the grief I went through with mine, getting it working (as evidenced by this very thread) I fired mine up the other day out of curiosity and after a bit of awful diesel smoke out of the Webasto exhaust it failed to run.. I think possibly my soldered cable repair to the dosing pump has failed again as I never heard the dosing pump click on at all. So I guess I'll need the wheel off and arch liner out AGAIN to investigate that before autumn. Damn thing. 

Edited by chicaneuk

Yhea the MIDs well shonky. I’ve seen a video of someone swapping the ribbon, looks achievable but it was waaay down the to-do list, not had the car that long and there was a very big list of important, expensive jobs. Now that I’m coming out the other side I’ve decided to try a Chinese touch screen stereo which takes out the MID anyway so I’m not going to fix it just yet.

Did you look at that EJS module, it translates multiple (3) lock presses on the key fob into a start command for the webasto, all via KBus, so you don’t need an additional telestart fob (or generic alternative) and can still manually use the heater without the MID?

Sorry to hear of your woes, looks like the solderings been a nemesis, maybe worth looking at the solder/adhesive heat shrink splicers you can get? The dosing pump is untested on mine so far (water pump thankfully ok) but I saw non genuine ones on eBay for about £14;  although if your going to the trouble maybe not worth chancing it not working or lasting??

Edited by Mata

I'm kind of keen to try that EJS module, yeah - sounds like a really trick bit of kit!

I've got a spare dosing pump at home so if you find yours to be dead let me know and you can have my spare.

I got a second hand webasto out an e53 x5 and installed it with my original water pump today. I can turn it on via the MID and hear the water pump and air combustion fan run but the unit doesn't get hot. Looking at the status via INPA it is confirmed that the air fan and water pump run, and that the heater is 'active' but i don't get any glow plug activity or heating. Today is a really hot summer day so this kind of makes sense as the coolant temp is showing around 25 degrees due to ambient air temperature. However when i try and run the heater via INPA i get an error message " EDIABAS_Error ApiCheckJobStatus: Job-Status error: [ERROR_ZUHEIZER] instead of [OKAY]! Continue script processing? " with Yes and No options to click. Clicking either doesn't seem to do anything. I don't know if this is indicating an issue with my heater, or software, or something else. I can run the dosing/fuel pump via INPA and hear it run and get diesel leaking out of the exhaust pipe which seems to confirm that works. I don't know, perhaps its fine and when i get a cold day it'll run fine, i'd just like to be able to test it via INPA. I tried running it with the ignition both on and off and I also pulled the aux heater fuse for a while to see if that forced a reset but there was no change. Can anyone help or perhaps confirm it wont run via MID or INPA unless the temperature is below a set point? Thanks, Mat.

It won't start if outside temp is above +16 C. For test purposes you can disconnect outside temp sensor (under front bumper right side) so it will show -40 C. 

Check the Webasto status page when you active it from MID. It will first check glow plug resistance (flame detector query) because it also works as flame detector after glowing. If that query gives proper resistance it will start glowing and then pumping fuel.

Thanks for the suggeations. I've been trying to test some more today but i was once again thwarted by an intermittent issue with a dead MID, no indicator tell lights and other K Bus related oddities so spent some time servicing the ignition switch, removing the CD changer then finding a damaged wire behind the MID which appears to have fixed that issue.

I unplugged the ambient air temp sensor replicating -40 degrees, ran INPA then turned on the Webasto via the MID. INPA showed the fan and pump running and 870 degreed at the glow plug but no power was applied to the glow plug ot metering/dosing pump. After a few minutes the heater light on the MID went off then the heater appeared to shut down just keeping the fan running for a few more minutes. When i read the faults i found one there which ive google translated but don't really understand. Am i right in thinking i've got an issue with the glow plug?

Still get the error when i try and run the heater from INPA but not really an issue, just another curiosity.

Thanks again. Mat.

IMG_8915.jpg

Well mine is dead again. Was a reasonably cool morning so I thought it was a good chance to fire it up from the MID and just make sure it's working OK as we head into Autumn. Initially it makes all the right noises (and can hear the fuel pump clicking) but as it starts to get going, it sounds like it's starting to go into hyperdrive a bit (like sounds too fast for what it normally sounds like) and then just cuts out after about 30 seconds.

I'm really not sure I've got the heart to dig into fixing this piece of crap again to be honest.. how can one (expensive) component be so woefully unreliable?!

Reinstalled my laptop the other day so need to get INPA reinstalled so I can scan it and try to see what's going on.

Edited by chicaneuk

that sucks

my 530d one is dead again at the moment is going on the todo list before things get cold again, I've got a t100 remote on mine it will be deeply frustrating to deice the windows shivering i the cold with that dangling on the keyring...

8 minutes ago, ad touring said:

apart from the exhaust and water pump is the e53 a direct bolt in then?

i.e. are the kbus control cards the same?

Yes. Control cards are the same.

Got INPA hooked up to check out the Webasto yesterday. Can interrogate it fine, and doesn't show any fault codes. I switched to the diagnostic screen and started it up and had the same sort of behaviour as before.. makes noises like it wants to run, but eventually just conks out after about 60-90 seconds with a stench of unburnt diesel and smoke coming out of the exhaust of the unit. The diagnostic screen showed the glow plug getting up to very high temperatures (apparently nearly hitting 2000 centigrade?!) and everything seemingly running but nothing actually happening.. so I just wonder if it's become coked up and needs an overhaul / service. Did notice the 'Power combustion air fan' took a really long time to ramp up so maybe that has something to do with it? Either way I'm clearly going to need to extract the unit from the car AGAIN and look into splitting it / inspecting it.

Thanks @Clavurion - given that this is my 3rd Webasto heater unit in the space of around a year, plus the cost of a new water pump, and cost of wiring loom replacement I think I'm just going to try the clean / service first and replacement of gaskets and go from there. At some point I have to cut my losses with the thing! :)

Well seemingly the Webasto not wanting to run was purely down to it being too warm outside or the car being too warm already whenever I tried to fire it. Few of the colder days we've had lately, I fired it up from the MID and sure enough within a minute or so warm air was starting to come through the vents and the Webasto unit was humming away quite normally to itself with no odd noises or choking diesel emissions :)