B17lboro

Winter tyres worth it?

It's all about price and where you live to actually give people a more accurate opinion. It is a well known fact that rear wheel drives are shit in the snow and Rain... Again, depending on where you live in the uk, will dictate you spending cash on cross climate or full set of steel/alloys with good winter tyres on... very simple....

My tuppenceworth is that winter tyres are better in colder temps, better in rain, better for standing water and better for when it does get cold/freezing and sometimes, snowy

For RWD cars, they're a must too (unless you're city centre based etc) IMO; more so that we DO get cold/wintry weather in this country and generally it's not forecast as that never works anyways!

For me, we travel up to Dunkeld (and beyond) every Feb and it's 9/10 wintry/snowy up there off the A9, more so if we jaunt up to The Cairngorms etc... However, I travel more or less daily down country lanes and a section of the M6 to get to training and the winter tyres come into their own on that route alone. It's always got standing water on it and if it's been cold/freezing, it does get gritted, but that's more or less useless etc

I just think a cheap set of wheels with winter tyres on makes sense... 2009 and 2010, for example, ok were winters probably rarely repeated, but both Novembers, the weather was mild and soggy... Look what happened through December to March the year after!!!

Agree with you @d_a_n1979.

Watch if sourcing wheels from E60 vintage of 2009-2010, they use a different sized thread to hold the wheel on. F10 has M14 thread, E60 wheels have a M12 thread so in theory a smaller bolt hole in the alloy, so may not fit.

Only my 2 cent worth but few years ago I bought a 2008 ford focus for this reason.

For the price of winter wheels and or tyres I could buy a whole car :lol:

Few years on still have it, I had changed my m5 for the f11 535d and it sits in a warm garage in the winter time :D

I have always 'nearly' bought a small 4x4 for winter, mainly for me to have some fun in though but always wanted a cheap Subaru Justy 4x4, not looked for a year or two but they could be had for <1k.

A mate did that, he lives in Clydebank which has some steep hills and gets bad snow plus the fact his wife had a 520d which she couldn't drive in the snow, he bought a Jimny for £600 just to get him thru the next winter.

Not that it snowed that year, or any year since to be honest.......