B17lboro

Winter tyres worth it?

Ok winters coming!  Now I have stopped the water leak- is it worth getting a set of winter tyres for the coming months??

i have seen some good deals on s/h Oem winter tyres/ wheels on eBay.  

As it's going to my first winter with a rear wheel drive car I was wondering if it is worth it?  I've never used them on a front wheel drive but a couple of friends have recommended them for rear drivers.

Also I presume 17 inch wheels will fit on my 520d msport?  The air deflectors look like they will be pretty tight.

I have ran Winter Tyres every Winter for both my RWD cars. I would never be without them.

I run 20's for Summer (373's) and 17's on my 640D for Winter, the brake caliper space is hilarious in being so small, but they fit wonderfully. The other benefit is having such large profile tyres is less need to worry about potholes etc. as they absorb imperfections much better.

Far from being just for Snow (fully spec Winter tyres with the mountain snow flake, not just M + S) they help in all conditions and give much better grip when cold. Steering is a little more slow and spongey and MPG is down a little with them.

I think some people who have limited experience with them cannot appreciate the benefits when it is simply colder and more crappy.

Another thing is choose an easy design wheel to clean.

Edited by Ninja59

15 minutes ago, Digidick said:

Only really worth it if we get snow and then they are amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is where I beg to differ - they are better in the wet too when the temp is about 7 degrees or less - much better grip and stopping distances. The are for cold temps irrespective of whether there is snow.

Cost wise you have to think that your summers will last twice as long as they are not being used for 5 or 6 months of the year - yes there is the initial outlay but it evens itself out eventually

This is where I beg to differ - they are better in the wet too when the temp is about 7 degrees or less - much better grip and stopping distances. The are for cold temps irrespective of whether there is snow.

Cost wise you have to think that your summers will last twice as long as they are not being used for 5 or 6 months of the year - yes there is the initial outlay but it evens itself out eventually

Yes if you can get some at a good price then worth a go but if money needs to go elsewhere in your life then let it........ unless it snows

The only issue is the majority not on winters, I came to this conclusion after forking out 800£ yes I have grip and they are better in the winter months like they do by law in certain parts of Europe, but the big but is I wouldn’t take my car out in the snow to get hit by the majority without winters so that’s my take on it now and won’t bother again.

There is a school of thought that if you are to run one set of tyres only in the UK that you run winters all year round as the difference in performance is less marked that using summers through the cold months. 

Personally now I would go for Michellin Cross Climate tyres and not have the hassle of storing and changing wheels over twice a year

I was a winter tyre skeptic after watching BMWCC Owners going out and panic buying winter tyres after two really cold and snowy winters of 2009-2010 and 2010-2011.  Since then we had the square root of fork all snow.  It always sat at the back of my mind though about investing in a set if I planned on keeping a car a long time.

My dad then buys his F10 as his retirement car to last him for 10 years and he splashed out and bought a set of style 237s with winters fitted direct from BMW.  With the winters on his, I then drove it in the wet down the M74 and was amazed at how well the tyre shed water, the same puddles in my E60 at the time would cause near enough aquaplaning felt thru the steering wheel.

My F10 was sold to me with a set of 327 winters and I really notice a difference in the wet with them.  Granted that was comparing them to a very worn set of Michelins on the front.  As my winters are 17" they are a bit more forgiving on the pothole infested roads you get at winter time than my 19" summer set up. I have Dunlop 3D winters.

I haven't tested my Winters in the snow as we haven't had any since F10 ownership, but its in the wet that they come into their own.

Perhaps given comments above from others about the lack of snow, you can go for an M+S tyre (aka all seasons tyre, Mud and Snow)) which has similar tread patterns as a full blown winter but it doesn't have the snowflake in a three peak mountain symbol which signifies their improved performance at lower temps.  A number of SUvs are fitted with M+S tyres as standard.

As @Ninja59 said a full winter tyre will be marked with M+S and the snowflake/mountain symbol, for all out grip in the snow.

Image result

Buying a second set of wheels and tyres is expensive. As others have said  they are only on the car for half the time they would be the tyre wear evens itself out and all you are really paying for is another set of rims.  I am lucky and have space in my garage to store them .  As my dad bought his F10 set and my mums F30 set of winters from BMW he gets to store them in a BMW shed somewhere for free, but he is looking at changing that due to storage damage.

For me personally they'd be a waste of money and I have never bought them. Living in London we hardly ever get snow, and if we do I just take extra care when driving.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Had a quick look online at mytyres and for my size the best tyre for wet braking (fairly important characteristic of a tyre) is a Michelin Alpin 5.  £137.90 each. BMW OEM and * rated.

Yes awesome tyres, mainly the low temperature capability is what you noticed most.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

@535i Andrew I agree with driving in the rain, I think it is more noticeable for those coming from larger wheels with lower profile tyres. Switching to the Winter setup you do feel more "secure". 

I also think that for those with larger wheels the cost comparison v risk is much wider. Taking into account one 20" wheel is over £700 from BMW without tyre, the tyres are easily £230 roughly speaking a corner switching to a tiny Winter is a no brainer when the tyres are so much cheaper. I doubt the difference is so great on a smaller wheel to begin with.

Added complication for me is the Summer wheels have been refurbed by Lepsons so it is not even just the costs of damaging one wheel really, and even a single refurb is not a cheap for a 20", it is almost one 17" tyre cost.

Having driven with my Bridgestone Blizzak's the snow was easy peasey, many backed off, but it may as well have been dry the car was that stable (note when I say "snow" I mean fresh fluffy snow and not frozen which can still be hugely dangerous even on Winter tyres without studs).

I have 4 cars and three of them have their own winter set. It's like night and day between summers and winters in the snow and there are cold/wet benefits too.

But, I haven't bothered to fit any of them for the last couple of years. I held out for forecasts of a big snowfall whereupon I intended to fit them, but the forecasts (and the snow) failed to materialise.

I ran winter tyres on my 325i for 5 or 6 winters. I bought them for the increased grip on damp roads with temps below 7C. I have to say they were VERY effective and confidence inspiring. I had a chance to drive them on snow once and they were unreal.

However, I live in the SW and do a low mileage, mostly on motorways. Some winters, like the last one, I never drove in under 6C and it was a waste of my time and effort to change them.

So, no winter tyres for my new F11. More garage space and no messing around with a jack twice a year.

My wife now has a Panda 4x4 (they come on winter tyres to use all year). In the rare event of desperately needing winter tyres I could use that. But I won't because no other bastard has winters so either they will crash into me or the roads will be so blocked up that I will end up dying of exposure. So I'll stay at home instead!

6 hours ago, Ninja59 said:

I have ran Winter Tyres every Winter for both my RWD cars. I would never be without them.

I run 20's for Summer (373's) and 17's on my 640D for Winter, the brake caliper space is hilarious in being so small, but they fit wonderfully. The other benefit is having such large profile tyres is less need to worry about potholes etc. as they absorb imperfections much better.

Far from being just for Snow (fully spec Winter tyres with the mountain snow flake, not just M + S) they help in all conditions and give much better grip when cold. Steering is a little more slow and spongey and MPG is down a little with them.

I think some people who have limited experience with them cannot appreciate the benefits when it is simply colder and more crappy.

Another thing is choose an easy design wheel to clean.

Absolutely right. Far better in the wet as well. 17"s will fit a 520d, they for my 535d which has the large discs, same as the 640d.

I have an 18" square setup for winter with Dunlop D3 on aftermarket wheels which I wouldn't be without. They are far better in cold conditions than the 19" summers, and I'm able to drive when I need to, regardless of conditions, rather than when conditions permit.

Economically, I save money on cheaper winter rubber and, given the residual value of the winter setup, I'll be very little out of pocket. When I upgraded the e90 to an F10 I sold the (aftermarket) winter setup for £500 (iirc). They cost me just north of £800 and I'd used them for 3 winters, so factoring everything in I reckon overall cost was probably nil.

Finally, slide into a kerb wearing expensive 19" BMW wheels and the repair costs will definitely outstrip the overall cost of wearing winter boots.

I have a set on my wife’s e90 - significant improvement when cold and frosty and life saving in the snow.

we had them when living in Luxembourg, where it was an insurance requirement, and have lasted 4 winters, over that time their cost neutral as they save wear on the summer tyres, but you need somewhere to store them.

i can also confirm that in real snow performance is significantly better than a fashion suv on summer tyres. Once you experienced them you wouldn’t go back. I’ll be changing over in a few weeks time.

Even accounting for others hers on the road it gives you much more control to avoid them.

unfortunately my company doesn’t provide them on my company f11 :-(

Honestly, save yourself the money of another set of tyres and wheels. If they are available in your size, put on Michelin Cross Climate tyres. They have a full snow rating, but for our climate of mixed winter weather they are great all-rounders.

I have had them on for almost a year now. Quiet, excellent wet grip, great resistance to aquaplaning, improved straight line stability (over original Michelin Pilots), sharper turn in and agility plus I have covered nearly 20,000 miles with them and they still look like new. Just checked and 6mm all round.

3 hours ago, Boshy said:

i can also confirm that in real snow performance is significantly better than a fashion suv on summer tyres. Once you experienced them you wouldn’t go back. I’ll be changing over in a few weeks time.

Got an article in Autocar on this. They tested the same model of SUV in both 2 and 4 wheel drive variants with and without winters. Both the 2 and 4 wheel drive versions of the SUV performed far better when shod in winters compared to the same with summer tyres when tested driving up an indoor ski slope!  Their conclusion was save the extra £1500 on the 4x4 system and just fit winters to a 2 wheel drive version, but this was on a Euro Diesel grot box that is biased front wheel drive.

I am on 225/50 17 V Cross Climates.

I paid €121.00 each plus fitting last year, but allopneus.com have then currently at €151.00 with a free home fitting offer.

Of course last year I didn't see a flake of snow, but everything else. Still, the CC's will perform much better than just summer tyres in snow....and there doesn't appear to be any compromises with performance with dry braking or cornering during hot summer days, which got up to 35.5C here in northern France.

24 minutes ago, Ram Rod said:

I am on 225/50 17 V Cross Climates.

Thats why you complain yours is slow and thirsty, you are 50 profiles, 17" wheels on the F10/12 are 55 profiles. Your 50 profile tyres are having to go round more times for a given distance.  :P

26 minutes ago, Ram Rod said:

during hot summer days, which got up to 35.5C here in northern France.

Where I spent the summer, it was a good day if I saw half that! More need for winters in the summer months in Scotland just to deal with the water on the roads!

13 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Got an article in Autocar on this. They tested the same model of SUV in both 2 and 4 wheel drive variants with and without winters. Both the 2 and 4 wheel drive versions of the SUV performed far better when shod in winters compared to the same with summer tyres when tested driving up an indoor ski slope!  Their conclusion was save the extra £1500 on the 4x4 system and just fit winters to a 2 wheel drive version, but this was on a Euro Diesel grot box that is biased front wheel drive.

I thought that rang a bell, they filmed it.