vj531

523i Touring 1967 - stalling

Hi all

A disabled driver here. Had my old bus since new 1997 and has very low mileage 50k :D.

Other than the general wear and tear AND the fault I'm about describe it 'does a job! 

My car is adapted for me to drive this is a total pain and hassle to change. 

This stalling is a double pain for me with an auto and restricted movement.

She starts fine but after a ten minutes or so 'very approx' and IF you are stationary or have just start moving from a parked (LOW REVS?) it can die. Starts fine if you recrank it and off she goes. Good on the motorway no problems.

I'm after some pointers before I start pulling my hair out with garages.

My 'no nothing' thinking is around auto choke, but am just guessing.

All the best

Stephen 

You need to get it scanned for fault codes but my guess would be cam or crank position sensors. If so I'd change both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bet is on camshaft sensors. As Duncan said, get it scanned, it will be pretty obvious which sensor is at fault.

8 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Let us know how you get on.

Will do Duncan. She goes in on next Tuesday for diagnostics

Thanks again 

I agree with that one or both of the sensors mentioned is likely the culprit. I'd also say possibly idle control valve, I had to replace that on my old M50 and I assume your engine has the same.

Just to say I don't think there is an auto-choke as such, that is back in the days of carburetor engines. The ECU will rely on temperature sensor readings in order to provide a richer mixture when it is cold. Which raises the issue perhaps also of a faulty temp sensor, but with all these sensors a diagnostic check will reveal which have failed

Hi

Any ideas of what sort of costs (ballpark) I should be expecting for this type of repair?

Edited by vj531

if you can get the codes read that will tell you more about the problem.  Likely to be cam/crank sensor as mentioned above, I'd go for crank but cannot tell without the fault codes from the ECU - there is not point in just changing things.  The genuine BMW cam sensor was £80 from Cotswold when I did mine a few years ago and took me about an hour I guess to change at home.

The perceived wisdom is to fit a genuine bmw sensor (about £80) changing it isn't a big job, half hour maybe?

When mine went the crank sensor wasn't far behind so it might be wise to do both while they have it?

Camshaft Sensor £95 + labour.

They are unsure of what's involved regarding labour, so they will let me know once they have the car.

Goes in on Monday next.

Cam sensor is really easy to do. One of them only requires one bolt, only takes a few minutes. The other one is a bit trickier but it only takes me 5 minutes

Wish I knew someone in my neck of the woods who could keep my old bus maintained. I would ideally like a mobile BMW savvy service who could do work at my house. As I find it extremely difficult getting into the passenger seat of of cars due to my disability. 

The bodywork is tired and need some TLC. Sadly it is not garaged also the interior needs some maintenance.  

I want to keep it as long as possible BUT it has to stay reliable. I have looked at a new Golf estate but it feels like its made of yogurt pots by comparison. I'm loathed to go 2nd hand as i could inherit even more unreliability.  

I use my local garage (Broad Lane garage) for  most of the day to day work and in the past have gone to Boxter motors Ashford.

Stephen

18 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Start another thread asking for recommendations. A few members around ashford way.

Go have a look an please feel free to reword.

Stephen

My local garage collects and delivers at no extra charge within the local area, although I've never taken advantage of that. Someone local to you may offer the same service perhaps. An possible alternative to a mobile service.

Thanks Tuvoc.

Unfortunately when it comes garage pickups, my car is adapted for me to drive (see picture).

The guys at the garage can move it, but not drive it. Frighteningly some have managed to road tested it! 

peddles1.jpg

Thanks to you all

Picked car up today. Two new sensors. 

Went around and about for an hour or so, it felt a little less hesitant (probably my imagination.).

Went back to garage as a double check to see if there were test fails, none.

Mechanic wants me keep him in mind If I do sell. But they all say that!

Thanks again

Stephen  

Edited by vj531