On 17/03/2018 at 11:08 AM, duncan-uk said:

Prefer the other steering wheel if I'm honest which I had in my m3 but changed it for a later version anyway. 

Looks a different car than from from the first pics though:D

Many People Do :D.. just I find it a better feeling steering wheel.. :D

On 19/03/2018 at 12:03 AM, 540v8 said:

Phone in console.... B)

Yeah... Just for show at the moment :D 

On 19/03/2018 at 8:24 PM, Tuvoc said:

The first steering wheel is way better, in my view

Many people find the first steering wheel better I just like the thumb grips on the new one and the larger diameter steering wheel rim :D  

Thanks For All The Comments

Update Twenty One

2/4/2018

Last week we stumbled onto a little bargain, and ended up with two new old stock Hella lenses.

41140220632_e2799ccf8d_z.jpg

-

41184502901_7ab479a950_o.jpg

For the grand total of £5:00.. Well I purchased the two lenses and a unopened e34 first aid box for £10:00,

we have also swapped the plates over from The Orient Express ( TUI1540 )... So she now has number plates to match her model.

39374290540_698da4fcde_o.jpg

Please excuse the dull side of the bonnet, I'm learning the skill of wet sanding and there was orange peel all over the bonnet.

So I thought it would be the perfect base to learn and lets face it, She will probably be getting a full respray within the next year.:ph34r:

All For Now

Comments Welcome 

Edited by ustbutler

Update Twenty Two

24/4/2018

26807095197_e6ce0e957d_o.jpg

Been using Boudica more and more since the last update and she doe run lovely. But a problem, I've encountered is when the car is cold

she idles very lumpy but I'm putting this down to coil packs because, We've swapped then around and the other car run horrible with Boudicas coil's.

so those are going to need seeing to I'm looking into a performance company called Bavarian Autosport which make and sell performance coils .

So I'm looking into that company and product my thinking is if I need to replace parts and I can get a better performing part instead I'd rather upgrade. 

-

Project Direction 

I've also being thinking about project direction and what I want from the car,  What I want to do with the car knowing the 

car will be around for a long... long time and finding a nice example made this a little daunting I've came to the decision I want a car

I can take to a car show and be happy and also do a couple of run what you brung Drag racing event's after I got the Drag Racing bug last year after

attending a Pistonhead's Sunday Service at Santa Pod Raceway with fellow forum member (Gareth Wood) and his 540i/6.

26807098197_8bfdf0a8c7_o.jpg

Boudica already has a limited slip differential from factory ...But thanks to Gareth who visited last year on my Birthday with a very special

Birthday gift for me which will  change the ratio of my standard differential to a much more hair raising 3:64 .. Gareth traveled many miles to 

come and visit me on my Birthday and the first I new was when I could hear a snarling  M60B60 sound outside.

So come summer, The differential should be uninstalled and reconditioned. 3;65  ratio is recommend by DINAN  which is an american BMW tuning firm

I'm not concerned about not having the extra gear as the 5th gear in the automatics is taller then the sixth gear in the manual I'd be lying

if I said I wasn't  looking forward to experiencing the ratio in automatic form I've experienced it in manual form and its the best bang for bucks.

540iA Ratio ¦ 540i/6 Ratio

1st - 3.55 ¦ 1st - 4.227

2nd - 2.24  ¦ 2nd 2.528

3rd - 1.54 ¦ 3rd - 1.669

4th - 1.00 ¦ 4th - 1.226

5th - 0.79 ¦ 5th - 1.000

6th - NA ¦ 6th - 0.828

27805994398_6992539626_b.jpg

Another thing on the list which is more impotent is a new exhaust system its never been at its best since we have had Boudica. But using her more

the exhaust is leaking rather bad so a new stainless steel system is top of the hit list at this moment I'm looking to recreate the original system

I'm loving how Boudica sounds at the moment, She crackles and pops it's lovely and I'm hoping I can recreate this with the new system. I know you gain next to no horse power and I know you can loose torque so as close to the original system but with stainless steel should work out the best way. I might add an H pipe because I've heard this helps keep the torque but I don't want to make a drone festival headache making system. But that's next on the hit list I know many people experience improved performance after installing a stainless steel exhaust and its true but in most cases its because of the weight lose. If I remember correctly the front section of the  exhaust on a 540i weights about 9KG.. The centre muffler weights 14KG and the rear muffler weighs 15KG removing all that and replacing with stainless steel could reduce weight by up to 25KGS or just under 4 Stone

All For Now

Comments Welcome 

Edited by ustbutler

A properly made exhaust will actually gain you a few HP; the silencing is generally done well and you shouldn't get any drone at all

They'll also be able to make you a back-box with the sound you want and if too loud still, they'll open it up and add more silencing material until it's to your standard ;)

Personally I'd advise at least 2.25 to 2.5" piping and, if you can, get the manifold done too.

I'm tempted to do this on my 530i one day as I've had custom systems on every car bar the 3 BMWs I've owned. The best one I had made was via the lads at JP Exhausts in Macclesfield for my Integra DC5 that was running a K20/K24 engine with a JRSC; the system cost me just over £1k, but it was a lot of work too.

Otherwise all my systems have been done by Pipewerx in Ormskirk and they were brilliant also and tuned the back box to the sound I wanted

As dan1979 has said a well made exhaust will have a slight improvement. Mine is booked in for a new one tomorrow at Infinity Exhausts. I’ve had a few exhausts made by them on a few different vehicles from a track car to my daily. They can do what you want with looks and sound. On the track car I wanted a straight through but would struggle with noise limits so they fitted a small centre silencer to keep exhaust flow and reduce the noise. On my daily Octavia vRS you can hardly tell it has a nice exhaust driving it but once outside you can. Sure a good company will be able to do the same for you with keeping some of the noise you are after without the drone. 

Didnt realise the exhausts weighed that much! Hoping to see similar weight savings on mine then. 

On 4/25/2018 at 8:22 AM, d_a_n1979 said:

Personally I'd advise at least 2.25 to 2.5" piping and, if you can, get the manifold done too.

I've heard that  manifolds for a M60s are changing hands for big bucks, I did wounder if am exhaust shop would make a manifold I asked one a  couple of years ago and they wouldn't undertake the job :sad:

On 4/27/2018 at 9:41 AM, KitsonRis said:

Didnt realise the exhausts weighed that much! Hoping to see similar weight savings on mine then. 

After removing one they are so so heavy... You'd gain from the weight saving alone :D

Update Twenty Tree

21/5/2018

I can report another uneventful month and nothing much has been happening or happened, I have done one marmite modification 

and fitted an ACS clock face to my instrument cluster I know I might get some ribbing for this but I think it looks retro cool.

:D

I thought It would be a good idea to do a Zero to Sixty test before fitting the lower ratio final drive and any other modifications to get a bit of 

a baseline for future modifications so we can see what does what and what doesn't do what.

For your enjoyment and everyone else, and to keep everything in the real world I filmed the run to look back on in the future. 

All For Now

Comments Welcome 

( Especially On The 0-60 Time )

Update Twenty Four

15/6/2018

40994848450_353ee334d6_k.jpg

-

Well we have less then one month till BMW Show @ Santa Pod Raceway,  Normally we attend

BMW Show in the old fateful Orient Express its a much easier process.

Well this year we will be attending in our newest edition Boudica but this makes the process a lot more

difficult normally with the Orient express its a quick coat of Poorboy's Black Hole followed by  Poorboy's Natty Black wax

and we are ready to rock and roll but with Boudica its going to be a rather longer process.

The paint is alright for a car of its age but being outside half under a tree for many years has left its mark on some panels

with nothing to lose and maybe a little to gain I decided to do something drastic and wet sand a few panels to see what I could achieve. 

The main panels that where playing hard ball were the drivers side back panel and door.. boot and bonnet so the task was set 

and I started on the drivers side first.

-

42088086674_ff08f09741_k.jpg

42805271321_3ee823595b_k.jpg

42805236991_f8aa47f59d_k.jpg

28931789608_10167d6473_k.jpg

=

The bonnet and boot are both flatted down and are waiting to be buffed back up again the results are not perfect

but a good 50% better then when I stated the whole process these are some photos of the boot before any work was undertaken.

-

42087859854_8a3bc4a86c_k.jpg

42756041372_d4da7ad824_k.jpg

42756071982_e95769eddd_k.jpg

-

And when we look back at the first photos posted we can see how dull the bonnet was after being in the aliments for many years.

-

37337908701_da7aed8375_b.jpg

-

On the maintenance side I have a clutch fan on order and a new belt which should arrive on Monday, The eagle eyed 

would also have noticed the front bumper has been straighten out and along with the rear bumper has been treated to 

a coat of satin black paint 

All For Now

Comments Welcome 

Edited by ustbutler

Update Twenty Five

10/7/2018

43281026642_355d7d61e5_b.jpg

Well another month another update BMW Show 2018 @ Santa Pod Raceway has been and gone and Boudica

made the journey down with a boot full of camping gear and 4 passengers and she didn't miss a beat.

We have much to update but we are being held back because we cant purchase a Bilstein gland nut and can't seem to find 

a supplier willing to help .. so that's holding back the progress at Butler - HQ and it's very frustrating.

We have manged to get some work done why searching out that unicorn part we have painted the front legs, some 

I'm sure some will love and hate this modification but I think it will save the legs and keep them sealed.

43280875372_57d29812e1_h.jpg

28461837847_03462d1746_h.jpg

Most of the front suspension is off and waiting for the mystical Bilstein gland nut...:evil:

43280868482_ee5789646e_h.jpg

43330489381_e853277ed4_h.jpg

Gone... GONE GONE... :lol:

I have also purchased a set APEX springs to fit when we finally...... find out where we can purchased a Bilstein gland nut from..

28461828227_8078669b5f_h.jpg

And we even have some new suspension parts to replace all the old suspension parts that need replacing..

29461214548_a2fa73843b_b.jpg

Then mom got me a gift ... A set of MTEC drilled and grooved disc and pad set from eBay.. I do have many nice things to say

about that company. We did the normal Butler-HQ thing and painted the discs to keep the rusty hubs at bay.

42427541385_e6a205ef51_b.jpg

With the calipers we are going back to the 90s and they are being painted..... RED..

28461838157_0a7037ff2b_h.jpg

Next month everything should be fitted if we can find the unicorn gland nut and get Boudica back on the ground.

BMW Show 

To get to BMW Show we had to lend The Tea Bag Lady's from suspension.

29461213848_5453954fe3_h.jpg

We managed to get some runs in on the day we did camp but the RWYB was very busy so we took a chance 

and waited to see how busy BMW Show was and it wasn't all that bad and we manged to get some baseline runs in.

The time slips. 

42613373474_ce673a045a_b.jpg

All runs where with half a tank of fuel and me and dad inside a group of E34s are going

back to Santa Pod at the back end of the season for an end of season meet and I'll be running Boudica 

again but this time with the 3.64 LSD with the same amount of fuel and same passenger set up and I'm going 

to see just how much changing the ratio makes as many people admit its a great upgrade but no one knows how great.

All For Now

Comments Welcome 

Edited by ustbutler

Update Twenty Six

13/7/2018

Link to our runs if anyone is  intrested in watching..

All For Now

Comments Welcome

Edited by ustbutler

Update Twenty Seven

22/8/2018

Another month of faithful service from Boudica.. Not so much from Bilstein mind you , After many phone calls and E-mails

we decided to scrap the Bilstein idea and we have purchased a spring and shock absorbers kit from SPAX

We purchased the SPAX PSX suspension kit it appeared on eBay unused and in the original box and we got it at a price we

thought was reasonable on arrival the kit turned out to be just as described.

44157130752_ca43e1cd55_b.jpg

43487240334_a34ea47e88_b.jpg

44157131152_c7b5b8f14e_b.jpg

30337613338_7a1f97bd53_b.jpg

44157132222_a2992885f2_b.jpg

We also repainted another spare set of front legs to match, The blue ones will be going on The Tea Bag Lady.

43487931484_6711eef0ac_b.jpg

We have also de-face-lifted Boudica since the last update, We are not lovers of the m plastic side skirts,

Not to everyone taste I'm sure but its totally reversible and its something different.

44205694861_fc657bc814_b.jpg

44157626992_8809b2eaa1_b.jpg

43487930144_c150c81027_b.jpg

44157625952_e5fd9b7531_b.jpg

43487952384_8f3efbbafa_b.jpg

We also changed the fuel filters It seems the bottom filter gets more dirtier then the top filter, I'm supersized the 

difference a fuel filter would make to the driving impression.

42614985324_f8c0c51600_k.jpg

:D

All For Now

Comments Welcome

Edited by ustbutler

I’m gathering ideas for new suspension for mine. I am wanting to avoid the welding job so was going to go down the route of Bilstein B6 plus lowering springs. Is the Spax set up you have got similar to this and just a direct replacement with no welding?