paperjams

Amazed by my car

So the family had a week away planned with a few days in London and then up to Nottingham to centre Parcs with some other bits an bobs, car was loaded to the rafters and has covered over 700 miles to one tank, that includes some quite fast motorway bits and stop start London traffic... not bad for a mapped 3.0! Works out at nearly 50mpg

Motorway speed journeys are where you'll notice max economy. Around town I don't always notice much difference compared to others cars I've driven, but that could be something to do with my heavy right foot

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That's a lot better than my 520d the last 1800 miles whilst holidaying in Cornwall was 42.8 mpg, and since returning about four weeks ago the mpg has stayed roughly the same, although recently I had the cycle carrier on the towbar with two mountain bikes, I guess that's causing a bit of wind drag.

It's a 525d with the 3.0 6 pot. I think the manual gearbox makes a difference to the economy. We had some serious weight in the car though and hit traffic in a few places. I've filled up now since the trip and the calculated average is 47mpg- my normal average is about 38mpg mixed driving

Edited by paperjams

13 hours ago, Ram Rod said:

Is that a 520d?

My 518d is definitely not so economical. Lucky to get 44 mpg average on long journeys keeping to speed limits

The silly twin air Fiat bubble snot boxes are the same.  They quote really good mpg and low low emissions but the minute you actually want to drive it out of 2nd gear out of a city centre you have to nail the throttle to the carpet to get it to go and as a result the mpg is pants.

Or it could be your engine is still a bit tight?  A recent post on here from a 530d F11 owner showed over 51 mpg on the trip but with 97,000 miles on the clock so the engine is nicely run it.

13 hours ago, Ram Rod said:

Is that a 520d?

My 518d is definitely not so economical. Lucky to get 44 mpg average on long journeys keeping to speed limits

My e39 530d got that on a run to the south of France sticking to the 130kph limits :P

Came back from France earlier this month. Filled up near Millau, 600 miles at motorway speed up to Calais (with some snarl up around the peripherique), then another 60 miles up to Purfleet and filled up with 60 miles still showing on range.

Happy with that.

Off to France this week, (fully laden for a Uni drop off) and hoping to mimic this going over...

large.20170923_130328.jpg.6a00697eb8eb23aa019bafa674d3d543.jpg

On a separate note your dash has reminded of cruise control, and the fact I don't like using it, but I have a question...

When you have cruise control on do you rest your foot on the gas pedal or take it off completely? I always wondered this as I don't like the idea of my right foot not being 100% ready to brake if needed, and by having my foot off the gas pedal and resting on the floor I don't feel it is.

3 hours ago, Spreadly said:

On a separate note your dash has reminded of cruise control, and the fact I don't like using it, it inane a question...

When you have cruise control on do you rest your foot on the gas pedal or take it off completely? I always wondered this as I don't like the idea of my right foot not being 100% ready to brake if needed, and by having my foot off the gas pedal and resting on the floor I don't feel it is.

I have used cruise extensively since the first car I had with it (2005 Vectra) I love it and use it as much as traffic and conditions allow.

I remove my foot completely where traffic permits, often bringing my heel back towards the seat, but again it's traffic permitting and reading the road ahead.

One thing you will notice with cruise is the amount of people who speed up when you pull out to pass them.

On 23/09/2017 at 7:56 PM, paperjams said:

So the family had a week away planned with a few days in London and then up to Nottingham to centre Parcs with some other bits an bobs, car was loaded to the rafters and has covered over 700 miles to one tank, that includes some quite fast motorway bits and stop start London traffic... not bad for a mapped 3.0! Works out at nearly 50mpg

It's often the case that a bigger relatively unstressed engine will deliver similar or better fuel economy than a smaller one in a large car. Driven sensibly, i can just about match the EU combined figure for my 535d over a tank full and get close to the long term average of my 520d. But i didn't buy it to be sensible all the time...

Edited by Johnny Grabble