markprior

Got rid of the Runflats

10 hours ago, Spreadly said:

You should not mix run flats with non run flats unless you want your car to feel like you're driving in rocks made of jelly. Simple.

Tell that to BMW who sold me my AUC F10 with Michelin rfts on the front and shitty Nexen non rfts on the rear.

The Nexens are cracking and will be replaced before they wear out, they are extra load rated tyres so should be good but because they are cheap nasty crap, they are deteriorating. Soon to be replaced with winter rubber.

After examining the extend of the cracking on my Nexen tyres, production date 41/14 so not even three years old and only on the car for half a year at a time due to winter set of wheels, these excuses for tyres are going in the bin before the 351s re-appear next Spring.

Cheap shit. 

I've always found RFT on the back and non-RFT on the front seems to drive well, but as others found when the other way round it handles terribly.

I noticed this on both my e70 X5 and wife's e60 in the past. Probably having the harder tyre in the rear works because these cars were set up for higher pressure in rear tyres.

My guess is that RFT rears only is like stiffening up rear springs only. This gives more front end grip and less understeer. Road cars are generally set up to give a bit of understeer first so RFTs on the back most likely makes things more neutral ... better to drive.

That said, I'd only go all one or all the other in case of an insurance claim.

I had mixed Rft and nRFt on the same axle (front) and noticed no difference. 

Currently have non RFT (GFT?) on the front and RFT on rear and drives fine.

I can't see how mixing RFT and non RFT is a problem. I've never seen the tyre companies advise against it, and if the tyre tread is the same why not? As for insurance if they are in spec and correct tread then they are good to go.

On 30/09/2017 at 12:55 PM, 535i Andrew said:

After examining the extend of the cracking on my Nexen tyres, production date 41/14 so not even three years old and only on the car for half a year at a time due to winter set of wheels, these excuses for tyres are going in the bin before the 351s re-appear next Spring.

Cheap shit. 

Surprised:o re the Nexens I had a set of 8000's on my Mondeo titanium X and found them ok , i got 30000 out of them .

yeah not a fan of Nexen, I'd bet if you had actually tried to stop in a hurry then compared them to a decent tyre you'd be quite surprised.

abs on mine used to go mental on the nexens, rarely comes on with michelin or continental