markprior

Got rid of the Runflats

yeah pretty much what the kwikfit guy told me, i was always under the impression that runflats took more psi?

You mean a KwikFit guy actually knew what he was talking about?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

On 24/09/2017 at 6:23 PM, Stressed said:

Can you swap 2 at a time, e.g. fronts then backs or the other way round

We tried this on our f11 530d. Swapped the rear Michelin RFT for Kumho non-rft. Fronts were still Michelin RFT. Had 4 wheel alignment done at the same time. The car felt awful. Very unstable at motorway speeds - I think it was dangerous. Needless to say it went straight back to the fitters, who put a lot of time into getting it right. Swapping the new tyres to the front and putting the rfts on the back sorted it. I’m now not convinced that putting non rft on the back of an f11 (with air suspension) is a good idea!

2 hours ago, Xavster said:

We tried this on our f11 530d. Swapped the rear Michelin RFT for Kumho non-rft. Fronts were still Michelin RFT. Had 4 wheel alignment done at the same time. The car felt awful. Very unstable at motorway speeds - I think it was dangerous. Needless to say it went straight back to the fitters, who put a lot of time into getting it right. Swapping the new tyres to the front and putting the rfts on the back sorted it. I’m now not convinced that putting non rft on the back of an f11 (with air suspension) is a good idea!

Putting crap tyres on was your issue, that's why it felt awful.

Nothing wrong with Kumho Ecstas. Used them on our old 325i and our Lexus IS250 without issue.

What would you recommend putting on the rear of our f11 to replace the RFT when the time comes?

10 minutes ago, Xavster said:

Nothing wrong with Kumho Ecstas. Used them on our old 325i and our Lexus IS250 without issue.

What would you recommend putting on the rear of our f11 to replace the RFT when the time comes?

I am sticking with what BMW intended on my F11 as I have had no issues with the Goodyears, they are relatively quiet (19") and smooth on relatively decent tarmac and I have the comfort factor (maybe unfounded) that I can get out of trouble should I have a puncture. Sure I'll need to buy a new tyre if I drive on it if flat but some self insurance is necessary. And I use the car as our intercontinental cruiser so carrying a spare doesn't work for me as the Ashton family paraphernalia fills the boot with no space for anything else, let alone a wheel! 

You mention your issue when putting non-RFTs on in a previous post to the extent that it felt dangerous before switching the RFTs to the rear. There are always going to be 2 camps of opinion and I know where I'm firmly planted.

25 minutes ago, Xavster said:

Any one of the OEM tyres, Michelins, Pirreli, Dunlop, Continentals, Goodyears.....

Budget tyres have no place on a decent car.

My friend just swapped his run flats with KUMHO Ecsta Le Sports and couldn't be happier, think he's covered about 5k miles now.

Once i need to swap mine i wouldn't turn my nose up at these - full set isn't bad for £475 for staggered 19".

I went Michellin Pilot Premacy 3 - all four 245/45/18's for £500 fitted. Run-flats are OK when they are new but once half worn the ride and grip just disappear in my experience.

My experience has pushed me towards keeping run flats next time. The way the car handled with softer side walls made me think it has clearly been designed with run flats in mind.

Sounds like you have had a bad experience, I doubt they have been designed exclusively for runflats. Hundreds of people bin off rft (myself included) with no adverse effects.  

On an F11? And it handles ok?

Yes an F11 and handles better than on the run flats, much more composed and has some steering feel rather than none. No more tram lining on poor roads or inside lane of the motorway either.

3 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

I have XL nonRFT on the front and RFT on the rear and can feel the difference when going over small road imperfections.  Driving along Thump... then THUD!

:rolleyes: not missing this at all, 

i take it F11's are not staggered judging by prices of tyres above?

19 minutes ago, markprior said:

:rolleyes: not missing this at all, 

i take it F11's are not staggered judging by prices of tyres above?

Missing what?

Mine staggered.. f10 with 275 rear and 245 front.  Hence keeping the perfectly good tread lots of life left in them rear RFT but not afraid to enjoy them to wear them out quicker. 

I went non RFT on my 2007 325i and it was a night and day difference. However, after a sidewall tear and subsequent tow home, I decided to carry a spare, which was a significant loss of boot space and general PITA.

I later drove an identical car but with contemporary RFTs, rather than the 2007 ones I had got rid of, and it was much better and almost as nice as the non-RFTs. Made me realise that things had moved on ...

Now I have my F11 M Sport with 19" Goodyear Excellence RFT. It is slightly better in ride and roadnoise than my 325i which was on higher profile non-RFT Goodyear F1s and SE suspension.

I have no intention of changing to non-RFT again. Hell, one reason for the change was wanting a bigger and better shaped boot! The tyres seem so nice that I'll probably just change like for like when the time eventually comes. At £200 each, I hope it's a while away ...

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 0:44 PM, E39mad said:

I went Michellin Pilot Premacy 3 - all four 245/45/18's for £500 fitted. Run-flats are OK when they are new but once half worn the ride and grip just disappear in my experience.

Agree with this. I think the stiffer sidewall means that theres less 'give' and when thread is lower they break away easier 

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 9:44 AM, 535i Andrew said:

Any one of the OEM tyres, Michelins, Pirreli, Dunlop, Continentals, Goodyears.....

Budget tyres have no place on a decent car.

Which Goodyears, Pirellis etc do you know.? What non RFT have folks found to be good grip/wear compromise and a nice sidewall rim protector???

My PZero RFTS which I will be getting rid of have a nice pronounced sidewall rim protector. They don't protect the rims as we know but its a nice looking sideway which I'd like to retain on the Non RFT

Wether it's a Goodyear type a or a Goodyear type b, won't really make a huge difference. The best thing to do is go on to one of many tyre sellers websites and select the size you want, select rfts or not and select rim protector. The guys on here who have their cars fitted with whatever model of Goodyear tyre all speak highly of them. As they are an OEM tyre, of course they are going to be good. Why do you think BMW fit them and not Nexens on the production line?

I look for good wet braking characteristics (which to me is very important) and low noise. I selected Michelin Primacy 3 rft for replacing my front Michelin Primacy ZP tyres. This was the next evolution in Michelin tyres, the ones I replaced were the original tyres to the front axle so they were approaching a decent age for replacing too.  These also have a great rim protector which has saved my powder coated rims previously.  See this thread.