markprior

Got rid of the Runflats

I did it with the 525i and once these dunlops run low I'll be doing the same with this 530d. 

It's lovely up to about 70-80kmh but beyond that the 'firmness' and road noise are not pleasant!

And I have a spare in the back so either way I'm covered :D

Yes changed the 18" summers last year to MIchelin none run-flat - so much better

Definitely far better without RFT. Had a loaner 320i GT from the dealership recently, brand new car with less than 2000km on it and the tires were ridiculously loud. Really detracted from the rest of the car.

Dumped mine too, I carry a plug kit and a cheap compressor, failing that my Lloyds/AA card !

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You're tempting me to do the same, but I have many miles left of my tyres so will wait a while.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Done it on every Bmw I've owned. Makes a huge difference.

Welcomed to the happy bum club!! 😎😎👍😂

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

I'm definitely looking to change mine but the car came on Michelin run flats with 7mm of tread all round.

I'm not sure I can bring myself to bin that much rubber.

Compared to my last car it's incredibly quiet and refined even with 18" run flats. 

Edited by Mojo Jojo

^ +1

Im going to give michelin runflats a go next, as the fronts are now on 3mm and need changing. Rears still have 6mm left so would be a waste swapping all 4 to non-runflats.

Oh goody.... just worked out there's a damn good chance the spare kit I moved from my E61 525i more than likely won't fit on my F11 530d. Great! and around 350 for the correct kit for the F11 !

Guess I'll get the E60/61 kit on an auction site then... try and help offset the cost. :angry:

I just swapped my fronts for standard tyres, not the rears, and it is so much more stable on undulating roads. I would not recommend doing the rears first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

Oh goody.... just worked out there's a damn good chance the spare kit I moved from my E61 525i more than likely won't fit on my F11 530d. Great! and around 350 for the correct kit for the F11 !

Guess I'll get the E60/61 kit on an auction site then... try and help offset the cost. :angry:

You can get a steel spare for c£170 from fleabay

for those deciding whether or not to change & waste 6-7mm tread i did this for my fronts, not regretting it at all.  

however for those looking to go 50/50, i went rears first and the car was not great found allot more steering input needed.  I did rears first.

30 minutes ago, markprior said:

for those deciding whether or not to change & waste 6-7mm tread i did this for my fronts, not regretting it at all.  

however for those looking to go 50/50, i went rears first and the car was not great found allot more steering input needed.  I did rears first.

I also noticed it required more steering input after changing just the rear runflats to non Michelin runflats, but I found you soon got use to how it behaved whilst I was on holiday fully loaded after 1800 + miles, however just recently I put on a Thule 2 cycle carrier on the towbar and had a more pronounced effect requiring more steering input than before, I suspect its because more weight loading is being put on the extreme rear end of vehicle, after a while I did not notice i was putting more steering input it any more.

On 9/23/2017 at 2:53 PM, markprior said:

WOW, like a different car.... no longer does it feel like im driving over cobbles lol 

the most impressive thing is the difference in road noise.

anyone else done the same ?

I noticed much the same when I changed from a very worn pair of front Michelin rfts to a new pair of Michelins. 

The noise and handling from the worn ones was dreadful, it would tramline even after having had a full alignment done.  New set of front boots and the noise was gone and the handling pin sharp.

Oh and the new front tyres were rft too.

17 hours ago, Mojo Jojo said:

I'm definitely looking to change mine but the car came on Michelin run flats with 7mm of tread all round.

I'm not sure I can bring myself to bin that much rubber.

Compared to my last car it's incredibly quiet and refined even with 18" run flats. 

16 hours ago, IINexusII said:

^ +1

Im going to give michelin runflats a go next, as the fronts are now on 3mm and need changing. Rears still have 6mm left so would be a waste swapping all 4 to non-runflats.

Putting new tyres on to replace an old very worn set will transform the car especially if what you fit is a decent premium brand rft or non rft.