stevepoulter

Engine Fault Reduced Powrr

It is being filmed from standing next to the driver side front wheel, side on to the car, the object in the foreground is the bonnet opening hinge/mechanism.

Exactly correct.

I'm just waiting for the wife to get home so she can take over with the kids. Then I'm going out to open up the relay box (it's stopped raining at least).

It's weather like this when you need a double garage which is virtually empty.

That "mini waterfall" is falling exactly where the wiring loom joins the housing casing. I'm expecting the worst on the actual casing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Fascinating, looking forward to see where this is going. Its not easy to see, but, the place where the water is coming out of does look like a typical BMW "water channel" though which is interesting.

Edited by nashdm2

Just took apart that portion of the car and there were a few leaves down there but not a lot, the channel for the well which is catching that waterfall is clear and I poured a bit of water down there and it cleared to my driveway floor, quite quickly.

I also opened the housing for the relay and it is bone dry, not even condensation in there, it is pretty well sealed to the water/elements. The wiring loom as it enters the casing is sloped downwards with thick plastic gromet which stops and water going up into the casing.

I did the usual, checked all connections and cleaned them with contact cleaner.

Looks like I will end up taking it to the dealer. I will call Sytner BMW tomorrow. I need need to work out how I'm going to get the car there.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, my hands are tied and is unfortunately the stealer I have to turn to.

Try a local independent with BMW diagnostics. I know RSJ in Moseley have the kit but they've had mixed reviews. A proper diag is going to help you massively as it'll give you an insight before you go main dealer who'll charge you £90 just to do a code read. 

There was also NKB Autocraft in Knowle although not sure if they are still open?

Firstly I doubt this is anything to do with water ingress that typically manifests itself in all sorts of weird issues.

Secondly be careful at any dealers they love these sorts of problem as they see it as an excuse to change countless parts at your expense til they get it right or you give up.

My gut feeling is this is fuelling or emissions related and could be a soft or hard fault.

My car has done 106k and did this a couple of times not long after I bought it, a cycle of the ignition has cleared it on each occasion.

It has not done it for ages though

I did run a bottle of millers through it over several fill ups

snake oil perhaps but who knows.

If my fault re occurs my first action will be to ask BMW to ensure the engine ECU firmware is at the latest level ditto for the other ECUs might as well get them all done at the same time then wait and see, that should eliminate it being a soft fault

Then the diagnosis begins

My next step would be to clean the EGR valve mine has never been done and these can get stupidly cruddy and cause all sort of odd issues if the valve fails to close properly or air flow gets badly restricted.

After that it might became a proper diags exercise and code readers can send you up the garden path, an enet cable and a pirate of Rheingold would be more useful.

Firstly I doubt this is anything to do with water ingress that typically manifests itself in all sorts of weird issues.

Secondly be careful at any dealers they love these sorts of problem as they see it as an excuse to change countless parts at your expense til they get it right or you give up.

My gut feeling is this is fuelling or emissions related and could be a soft or hard fault.

My car has done 106k and did this a couple of times not long after I bought it, a cycle of the ignition has cleared it on each occasion.

It has not done it for ages though

I did run a bottle of millers through it over several fill ups

snake oil perhaps but who knows.

If my fault re occurs my first action will be to ask BMW to ensure the engine ECU firmware is at the latest level ditto for the other ECUs might as well get them all done at the same time then wait and see, that should eliminate it being a soft fault

Then the diagnosis begins

My next step would be to clean the EGR valve mine has never been done and these can get stupidly cruddy and cause all sort of odd issues if the valve fails to close properly or air flow gets badly restricted.

After that it might became a proper diags exercise and code readers can send you up the garden path, an enet cable and a pirate of Rheingold would be more useful.

OK I'll hold off on the stealers.

I think a proper Diagnosis is my first port of call. I have a ENET cable (well all the parts to make my own, just never got around to it) or I'll just order one if I can't be arsed to make it.

Is Rheingold the best software for my issue, will it give me the info I need, as in, the mileage when the issues occurred.

I'll look online for it, what version am I looking for as I don't want to find and use an ancient one.

Thanks again guys

37 minutes ago, stevepoulter said:

OK I'll hold off on the stealers.

I think a proper Diagnosis is my first port of call. I have a ENET cable (well all the parts to make my own, just never got around to it) or I'll just order one if I can't be arsed to make it.

Is Rheingold the best software for my issue, will it give me the info I need, as in, the mileage when the issues occurred.

I'll look online for it, what version am I looking for as I don't want to find and use an ancient one.

Thanks again guys

The latest version of ISTA is 4.07.13 and is def where you should start. You don't need the very latest version though. 

Hi All,

No updates yet.

I managed to successfully install ISTA. But I have misplaced my bag of resistors to make the ENet cable so I've just ordered the cable, should be here tomorrow.

I'll post an update once I have had a successful Diagnosis, if I get stuck I'll definitely be in touch, thanks for the support guys, special thanks to Mathew Ashton.

I managed to finally get some time to plug my car into my PC after the ENET cable arrived today, it seemed to go without a hitch although i did get "not enough system resources available" error, but it still seemed to finish the process, I think.

Now this is where I am completely stumped, a whole host of information came up, ECU trees and operations reports.

My question is, How to I use all this information to decipher what is causing the fault on my vehicle.  I managed to get some screenshots or the ECU tree and the operations reports.

***On a side note: the mileage showing up on the program is completely different the mileage I have showing in the car, is this normal or has somebody sold me a car after reducing the mileage. ***

EDIT: I Just realised the mileage shown is a Km's DUH!

Thanks again

Edited by stevepoulter
Stupidity

4 hours ago, stevepoulter said:

I managed to finally get some time to plug my car into my PC after the ENET cable arrived today, it seemed to go without a hitch although i did get "not enough system resources available" error, but it still seemed to finish the process, I think.

Now this is where I am completely stumped, a whole host of information came up, ECU trees and operations reports.

My question is, How to I use all this information to decipher what is causing the fault on my vehicle.  I managed to get some screenshots or the ECU tree and the operations reports.

***On a side note: the mileage showing up on the program is completely different the mileage I have showing in the car, is this normal or has somebody sold me a car after reducing the mileage. ***

EDIT: I Just realised the mileage shown is a Km's DUH!

Thanks again

Hi I sent you my contact details so I'll take a look and let you know if I have any idea. 

Update.

I have been using ISTA extensively and I have literally gone through all the cars sensors/fuses/wiring harnesses/sensor plugs.  You name it, I have gone through it (related to the fault that is)

I took out the DDE and checked all the pins for the DDE and the plugs that go into the DDE.  I have been working in my usual job through out  all this so have only managed to do this on weekends, during the horrible weather.  The cars battery has been unplugged for approx 2 weeks while I went through everything with a fine tooth comb, I cleaned everything, every connector, plug - if it was in my hands I cleaned it.

Today I put the car back together, trust me my garage had more car in it then the car on my driveway. took me about 3 hours to put it all back together.

After I put it back together and started the car, NO MORE FAULT.

I still wasnt convinced so I sat the car the car for 15/20 minutes with the engine running and no fault. The car sounded perfect, no sputtering or cutting out.  I decided to risk it and took the car for a short drive (bearing in mind it's been undrivable) and no fault.  I got even more confident and took it on a 20 minute drive, NO FAULTS.  the car drove immaculately.

Now I am not 100% convinced the fault has gone and I am expecting the fault to reappear at anytime.  The only fault showing now is 'Excessive battery discharge whilst stationary'. I did charge the battery with my batter charger and it is currently sitting at 12.6v, so hopefully this should clear.

I will be plugging ISTA in tomorrow to check for codes, as it got dark when i finished driving the car.

Fingers crossed

1 hour ago, stevepoulter said:

Update.

I have been using ISTA extensively and I have literally gone through all the cars sensors/fuses/wiring harnesses/sensor plugs.  You name it, I have gone through it (related to the fault that is)

I took out the DDE and checked all the pins for the DDE and the plugs that go into the DDE.  I have been working in my usual job through out  all this so have only managed to do this on weekends, during the horrible weather.  The cars battery has been unplugged for approx 2 weeks while I went through everything with a fine tooth comb, I cleaned everything, every connector, plug - if it was in my hands I cleaned it.

Today I put the car back together, trust me my garage had more car in it then the car on my driveway. took me about 3 hours to put it all back together.

After I put it back together and started the car, NO MORE FAULT.

I still wasnt convinced so I sat the car the car for 15/20 minutes with the engine running and no fault. The car sounded perfect, no sputtering or cutting out.  I decided to risk it and took the car for a short drive (bearing in mind it's been undrivable) and no fault.  I got even more confident and took it on a 20 minute drive, NO FAULTS.  the car drove immaculately.

Now I am not 100% convinced the fault has gone and I am expecting the fault to reappear at anytime.  The only fault showing now is 'Excessive battery discharge whilst stationary'. I did charge the battery with my batter charger and it is currently sitting at 12.6v, so hopefully this should clear.

I will be plugging ISTA in tomorrow to check for codes, as it got dark when i finished driving the car.

Fingers crossed

It'd be fantastic if all that effort in cleaning and reassembly has paid off. I hope it stays this way. Is your battery charger a smart charger that has a specific setting for the AGM battery in your car? If so then a full charge should make for a happy car/battery combo again. If I Ieave my car off the charger and don't drive it for a couple of weeks I too get the same message which is common for these cars. 

UPDATE 2...

This morning after my breakfast I plugged in ISTA and cleared all the fault codes.  I then took the vehicle for a 30-45 minutes drive and....

NO FAULT!

The car is running perfectly and the battery warning I mentioned in my previous post has also gone.  I returned home after the drive and plugged the car back into ISTA....check out the screenshot

Screenshot.xps

I still have a feeling this error will pop up one day I least expect it, but for now perfecto!

I have got the car bug now.....Mr Ashton, my next goal is coding.......

19 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

It'd be fantastic if all that effort in cleaning and reassembly has paid off. I hope it stays this way. Is your battery charger a smart charger that has a specific setting for the AGM battery in your car? If so then a full charge should make for a happy car/battery combo again. If I Ieave my car off the charger and don't drive it for a couple of weeks I too get the same message which is common for these cars. 

I am not sure what a smart charger is.

I brought it from Lidl and it does have various programs on it.....

the instruction insist on disconnecting the earth and then charging battery which is annoying because i have to leave the boot open

1 hour ago, stevepoulter said:

I am not sure what a smart charger is.

I brought it from Lidl and it does have various programs on it.....

the instruction insist on disconnecting the earth and then charging battery which is annoying because i have to leave the boot open

Not a good start. Disconnecting the earth means you are disconnecting the Intelligent Battery Sensor and bypassing this important part of the car's charging and monitoring circuit. BMW recommends charging via the +ve and -ve charging terminals under the bonnet. I use a CTEK MXS5.0 charger which has a specific AGM battery setting and I've adapted one of the leads provided with the charger and added a towbar plug and I charge via my towbar socket so I have no need to leave the bonnet nor boot open. Before I made this little towbar harness I trailed a charge lead with crocodile clips to the under bonnet charging points and then closed the bonnet and put the car back in the garage connecting up the charger.