Sign in to follow this  
shakeym35

Knocking noise

Hi some advice and recommendations would be highly appreciated.  Guys i have a BMW e28 m535i manual dogleg.  A couple of days ago i began hearing a knocking noise from the osr passenger rear while accelerating from standstill first gear.   It's horrible and loud. My gear stick shakes as well while accelerating.  The knocking and shaking then goes away when car picks up speed and begins to smooth out.  Thanks guys 

Got the car on a ramp today and gave the prop shaft a wiggle it felt loose and floppy... it is the centre prop shaft bearing.  Would anyone  know where I would be able to buy a new replacement? Thanks 

cheap on ebay for Febi ones

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xbmw+e24+prop+centre+bearing.TRS0&_nkw=bmw+e24+prop+centre+bearing&_sacat=0

.  It's likely your guibo (front doughnut) is past its best too - have a good look for splits.  My dogleg 635 had the same symptoms, which the p.o. dealt with by starting off in second gear instead!

Thanks for the link. Just out of curiosity that bearing in the link is for 635csi so are there same as the one on a m535i ? Thanks 

Thanks it's the same as the e28 so just ordered the bearing.  Also would you know what gearbox mounts I need the ones connected to the gearbox bracket as I've discovered they are split? Thanks