ttrw2

Anyone renting out rear subframe bush tool?

As title - looking to rent/borrow the tool to remove the subframe bushes on my e39 M5 (so saloon).

I contacted Lufbramatt earlier this year but no reply - anyone else got one please?

Cheers,

Rob

You can buy cheap ones on ebay

eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-Series-E39-Saloon-sedan-REAR-AXLE-SUBFRAME-BUSH-REMOVER-INSTALLER-TOOL-/252072468325?fits=Plat_Gen%3AE39&epid=1162975602&hash=item3ab0b09f65:g:6UkAAOSwjVVV4C2l

Maybe buy it and then sell on or keep with a view to renting it out

No idea if the quality is any good, the proper professional quality tools are serious money - but it's a job you'll only ever do once on an E39

I once did the rear axle bushes on a Saab 9-3, which had failed the MOT.

I cut the rubber centres out bit by bit with various blades, then with a hacksaw, carefuly cut through the metal outer which was still inside the axle housing. (If that makes sense).

You only needed to cut through it in one place, which was enough to break the tension and get it out.

I then used a large G-clamp to press the new (polybush) ones in.

Don't know if that's something you could try...

2 hours ago, Darkbmwlord said:

I once did the rear axle bushes on a Saab 9-3, which had failed the MOT.

I cut the rubber centres out bit by bit with various blades, then with a hacksaw, carefuly cut through the metal outer which was still inside the axle housing. (If that makes sense).

You only needed to cut through it in one place, which was enough to break the tension and get it out.

I then used a large G-clamp to press the new (polybush) ones in.

Don't know if that's something you could try...

Similar thing here on my E36, hacked out the rubber then used a chisel and drove it between the mount and the housing, it didn't fight for long. I used a vice to put it back in, When the old man had the rear go on his E46 my cousin did the same thing but took the vice off the bench and went under the car with it to save him having to take the arm off.