Digidick

Might be buying an early 2.5 Boxster

Always wanted to have a toy parked in the garage and I've got the chance to buy this 'R' plate 2.5 Boxster and it's in fantastic condition with a great history.

I know we have one or two on here that own them (newer ones probably) but does anyone have any info they'd like to share, are they as good as I think they are?

I know they ain't rocket ships being the 2.5 but it's more about the Porsche owning factor and how it drives. Had a nice E36 318 convertible for a few months last year and thats not quick but enjoyed the open top experience.

large.59c16da8d6136_ScreenShot2017-09-19large.image3-1.JPG.4e22112c9d354a7e070c9

Owned by a guy that has a 17,000 mile Mk1 Focus RS and a fantastic Sierra RS whale tale Cosworth.

Loves his cars and bikes and it shows in this Porsche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you live in the centre of a large city, that's got the wrong gearbox. And I say that from experience.

I do have a fair bit of stop start traffic in my day to day driving. I'm not Tiff Needell and my daily is an auto so don't think I'll be too bothered by it....... will I?

Is it more than £1500 ?

Is that a case of it should be more than £1500 and any Porsche under that figure must be avoided?

1 minute ago, Digidick said:

Is that a case of it should be more than £1500 and any Porsche under that figure must be avoided?

Personally i would avoid all the boxsters of that era, although

the 3.2 is a hoot.  The 2.5 isnt a slug and is ok,but its the repairs that may make your eyes water if your unlucky enough to get them in your ownership.

Lots of parts shared with the 996, and carry the premium to match.

The Tip box is just a normal auto, and blunts the experience enough on a 3.2, let alone a 2.5 (I had a 3.2 Tip).

They're just too risky a proposition now - lots of ways for them to go pop expensively.

From what I've read the 2.5 is one of the safer models to go for. This one is sitting around 89k and the guy has spent a few grand sorting it out including work on the cooling system, new brakes, service and it'll be MOT'd before I collect.

I was looking at Z4's but they don't excite me like owning a Boxster.

3.0i Z4 would be on my list as an alternative - cracking looking car even today.

It was on my list also.

Not sure if this thread is helping me or not, lol

I was all set to buy it.

Just gonna have a quick look at Z4's again.

The choice is your fella...

As Dan says,they are a risky proposition now..

You are right though,the 2.5 is probably the best of the bunch for breakdowns..  they do still suffer from chainsnap and the IMS breaking up though,as well as bore score...

Just buy with your eyes open and head full of knowledge,but be prepared to just write the money off if you get unlucky.

The choice is your fella...

As Dan says,they are a risky proposition now..

You are right though,the 2.5 is probably the best of the bunch for breakdowns..  they do still suffer from chainsnap and the IMS breaking up though,as well as bore score...

Just buy with your eyes open and head full of knowledge,but be prepared to just write the money off if you get unlucky.

The 2.5 has a double bearing on the IMS I believe which is far more reliable and will it still suffer bore score at this age?

Like the old Nikasil issue, if it was gonna go it would have gone by now?

I'm just going to leave this here.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1601182

Serious want for a 911. Fully recommend anyone with half an hour to kill read through that thread. That car's a proper workhorse for a motorsport courier. Just the first post sums it up well.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

Also wait until the clocks change and buy before Xmas - always the cheapest time to buy a vert

Found a nice 2.5 on a Z4 forum that I was thinking of buying before this Boxster turned up. Even got talking to the owner.

Going to look again....

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=100171

The thing is there is no rhyme or reason with engine failures 

like mash potato has highlighted, that one has done 300k with minimal work..

Yet there are incidence of engines totally crapping out at 30k and going bang to the tune of £10,000 ..

its roulette ... and I guess it depends on how you see ownership of the car..

I had 3x 911's and the paranoia of failure and the money involved for repair always got to me..

That may say more about me than the cars,but I can't live with it..

Maybe if the car was superb and worth massive money then a £10k rebuild would be acceptable, but a 996, boxy or Cayman of that generation is neither

7 minutes ago, alpinaman said:

The thing is there is no rhyme or reason with engine failures 

like mash potato has highlighted, that one has done 300k with minimal work..

Yet there are incidence of engines totally crapping out at 30k and going bang to the tune of £10,000 ..

its roulette ... and I guess it depends on how you see ownership of the car..

I had 3x 911's and the paranoia of failure and the money involved for repair always got to me..

That may say more about me than the cars,but I can't live with it..

Maybe if the car was superb and worth massive money then a £10k rebuild would be acceptable, but a 996, boxy or Cayman of that generation is neither

Cheers Gaz.

Just spoken with the guy in the link I'd posted above and it looks like a massive U-turn for me and that Z4 looks to be the one. It was my heart that wanted the Porsche but my wallet and head didn't want the worry. I wanted a toy that I can enjoy and improve rather than being afraid to spend on it just in case it went boom!

So glad I posted on here first before placing a deposit with him.

That Z looks really well Richard,hope everything goes to plan for you,nice trip down the A702/A701 over the Devils Beeftub from Edinburgh to Moffat before hitting the M74/M6 should get you accustomed with the Z nicely.