Calypso-E34

First 24 Hours with the E34 520i Auto

So, I bought this, and went down to Mansfield to collect it. Drove the 430 odd miles home without incident, only stopping for fuel and food.

It's a cracking car - bodily, there's no rust, and is better than you'd expect given it's age. There are a few things to do - one of the headlamps is broken, although Andy gave me one for it - can't wait to do that one! Being fussy, the wheels would benefit from a refurb.

The windscreen is delaminating, so I will need a new one at some point, which is a shame as it's good otherwise. Someone had covered it up with some sort of black paint - I didn't notice it at first. Hard to see actually. I'll do it after the winter.

I'll need to get the whole car body properly deep cleaned, some blemishes buffed out and a good wax / sealant applied. I might pay to get that gone, as I don't have a garage and weather is running out!

Interior is pretty good too, with no rips or tears in the seats. Vinyl is lifting a bit from the door cards, so I'll be on the lookout for suitable replacements. Sony stereo was only working on the front speakers, and the cd changer worked on the rears - with volume either highest or lowest - no in between! I discovered that someone had the audio inputs from the autochanger going into the line out sockets! With that sorted, it is now working perfectly. The heater panel doesn't illuminate, which from experience is cheap to fix, but a bit of a pain to do. Might see if I can get a good working one somewhere.

Mechanically, I can't see anything it needs other than a couple of bonnet struts and some proper wiper blades.

So - so far so good!

0c076b09d9f7c58ef477dffed8b0f742.jpg7dd8cfdedbcbbc2b46c956071a454417.jpg

d7956de71ba37f9d0b5b21e516e847c2.jpg

718a36e0c29c5f316811e4c9c6693a81.jpg

4b94418252c0c315cba7c3de9b3ce56d.jpg

533aea7b6219381615fce755d1ef5808.jpg

79a3d7bcda4fcce4cf1483626c561653.jpg

63e4f7c4e96c6dbf8881d9c0f8c52830.jpg

a2372eda5d2e115db078034280b1f0a3.jpg

fe6d7000f0be03771fd79ad18b4c2206.jpg

Air con on a 520i must be fairly rare, no?

I'd say so too! Sports airbag wheel would be rare enough too

Such a lovely car!

A deep clean, some paint correction (where needed), a new windscreen and maybe a better head unit and that's hell of a comfy daily driver and a looker to boot ;) 

I assume thats going to be the same motor my Dad had in his K plate 320i coupe, if so they sound great on song with a nice zing 8)

I'm going to stir too and say OBC retrofit ;)

I'm going to stir too and say OBC retrofit

I'm happy to say that would be pretty much impossible on this car!! There is no existing wiring for that at all, and no screen in the instrument cluster - which is not interchangeable with the higher models - different wiring altogether.

So - can't be done! I retro fitted one before, and it was a faff.

I did my 525ix which was an L reg. seem to recall there was a bit of cutting the mount and a spliced wire but plug and play.

You've done more e34s than me so it's a school day for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say 'leave it be' - it's a tidy, unmolested car and some work on the alloys and screen will make it a nice example, Having just seen a pickup conversion of an E34 on eBay (!!) I think it'd be nice to leave the car as original as possible - maybe even go down the BMW audio route?

Lovely looking car but I noticed the undeniable signs of wiper box wear with catching on the arms.

If you have no access to any engineering equipment then I would strongly advise you to have the mechanism shafts bored out with bronze bushes pressed in as I did with my e34.

Good luck.

9 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

To be fair I did say that earlier. I thought the obc was an easy fit and I was being provocative emoji6.png

If this was a 525i, you could retro fit the OBC Duncan - cut out the back of the mount, splice a couple of wires, and as long as the wiring is there for the outside temperature probe is there, you're laughing.  If not, you need to fit a little in line resistor so the temperature doesn't look ridiculous.  With the base instrument cluster though, there is no facility to display anything, the stalk is the fixed type, plus no wiring - and you can't change the cluster as the wiring setup is completely different.

8 hours ago, bigrigbri said:

Lovely looking car but I noticed the undeniable signs of wiper box wear with catching on the arms.

If you have no access to any engineering equipment then I would strongly advise you to have the mechanism shafts bored out with bronze bushes pressed in as I did with my e34.

Good luck.

Nah - it adds character!!  I'll just not drive it in the rain!!  Funny - it doesn't seem to be rubbing now for whatever reason.

SO.....

Thanks to someone on German eBay and Jon at Cotswold BMW, I will soon have a nice illuminated cassette box in my centre console!  Also with help from Jon, I will be able to sort out the illumination in my heater control panel.  I will need to work up the courage to get stuck into removing that - replacing the bulbs is no problem - getting the panel out and refitting is another matter, so it'll probably go on the back burner - along with changing out the headlamp........

You can do it that way alright - but getting the cables off and on is fiddly. Might be better to take the entire cage out for ease of access.  My hands are not exactly dainty!!

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:39 PM, duncan-uk said:

I'm going to stir too and say OBC retrofit ;)

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 8:54 PM, Calypso-E34 said:

I'm happy to say that would be pretty much impossible on this car!! There is no existing wiring for that at all, and no screen in the instrument cluster - which is not interchangeable with the higher models - different wiring altogether.

So - can't be done! I retro fitted one before, and it was a faff.

Well, a lot has happened since I said this, hasn't it?  Looks like all the wiring is there for an OBC, although it probably needs that pin `17 power addition, and I think I remember something about fitting a resistor somewhere else for the temperature thing.  The car has no check control, but I THINK the OBC will work fine independently of that.  Only one way to find out I guess!  Might as well, while the dash is in bits anyway!

I think I feel a nice electrochromatic mirror coming on too........