Piper

Piper's E61 520d Touring

Screenshot_2017-09-21-19-45-27.thumb.png.7c4d101c6a3221348122f1c2e613aa05.pngScreenshot_2017-09-21-19-45-36.png

Screenshot_2017-09-21-19-46-10.thumb.png.6d7330a37165061e30eb1947a1eacec0.png

Three E34s and numerous E39s later, I have finally moved on and have got myself an E60/E61.

A 2008 black on black on black 520d Touring with a few nice options, but the best one is heated Comforts with ventilation B)

£3800.

Picking up Thursday. Pics to follow!

Edit - pics below and they ain't Comforts :(

Edited by Piper

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear you've left the E39 community,:(

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on how the E61 compares to the E39.

As Dennis said above interested to see what retrofits / upgrades you perform to the E61.

All the best buddy:)

18 hours ago, Jay_w said:

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear you've left the E39 community,:(

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on how the E61 compares to the E39.

As Dennis said above interested to see what retrofits / upgrades you perform to the E61.

All the best buddy:)

Still got the E39 540 Touring guys. It hasn't gone anywhere yet!

First mod I fancy - 19" 8.5j square set of Style 128 alloys :)

Inetersting how the car has Comforts, DAB and bluetooth yet only Business Nav :/ Thought it had Prof Nav

Edited by Piper

On 9/21/2017 at 8:26 PM, Piper said:

Inetersting how the car has Comforts, DAB and bluetooth yet only Business Nav :/ Thought it had Prof Nav

You can finally do that NBT retrofit now!

Style 128's look really good on the E60/1 ! You just have to find a decent set actually for sale!

Cheers, Dennis!

9 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

You can finally do that NBT retrofit now!

Style 128's look really good on the E60/1 ! You just have to find a decent set actually for sale!

Cheers, Dennis!

Well to be honest the M-ASK 2 system is such a step up from an E39 then Im not feeling the need at the moment! 

OK so in my E61 options list brochureit says vented seat option have to be ordered in conjunction with Comfort seats...but ive just realised that these ain't Comforts!

Grrrr

Comfy tho

I'm liking the M-ASK 2 iDrive and Business Nav. Loads better than anything the E39 could offer. Also liking the auto stick with P on the top, touch sensitive preset buttons, DAB, bluetooth, voice control and the frugal N47 - 50mpg at 60mph including the short trips to get onto the motorway. The 17" alloys look ok as well.

I heard about E60/E61 interiors being crap and after my first drive I thought this isn't too bad at all...until I looked up and saw the sorry excuse for the interior light panel in the roof. Shocking! I've seen better on an Astra van.

Sound system in the front sounds  good, however the roof mounted rear speakers? I actually laughed they were that bad. The E39 Touring is so better in this respect, and that ain't saying much.

Body needs a clay and a machine polish. Has wall scratch on wing, so may replace that.

Plans? 

Eibach Pro - Kit

Style 128s or Style 101s - 8j or 8.5j square sets

Sport bumpers

May look into retrofitting Logic 7 or Individual Audio if possible

Edited by Piper

@Piper - You might want to add Comfort seat retrofit on your list of plans.

Other than it not coming with the Comfort seats that doesn't look bad at all, Looks like a good buy.

I take it the N47 lump doesn't have swirl flaps fitted to it? 

20 minutes ago, Jay_w said:

@Piper - You might want to add Comfort seat retrofit on your list of plans.

Other than it not coming with the Comfort seats that doesn't look bad at all, Looks like a good buy.

I take it the N47 lump doesn't have swirl flaps fitted to it? 

Thanks Jay. I think they do but BMW redesigned them?

Correct, less likely to fail. They are still there though. Removal involves taking the manifold off, removing the flap motor and pulling the control rod out of the end of the manifold (it runs through the middle) then getting the flaps out. The motor can be reinstalled so there's no hole on the manifold and a blanking plug put in.

I'm gonna guess you have no DPF in it either so someone has taken care of that headache for you. Suspiciously dirty exhaust pipe if it's still in! They're spotless if they're still fitted.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

5 minutes ago, adeel43 said:

Nice. Are your first thoughts that it is better than an e39?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mmm tricky. The entertainment, media and OBC systems are better for sure. The E39 is a better drive and feels more connected to the road. E61 feels more comfortable but the E39 looks better. Not much in it really. For a daily I choose the E61, for a holiday and the weekend it's the E39.