Jump to content

Recommended Posts

A little off topic I know, but bare with me. Just been speaking with an ex copper on Facebook who drove BMWs and he had the following to say...

 

"As a retired traffic cop who unfortunately had to drive BMW's for about 15 years, my biggest concern is their total lack of reliability - spent as much time in the workshops or back at the dealership as being driven. Yes, we drove them hard and fast, but the rear suspension issues on the majority we had on the fleet is not good, considering they are supposedly a top marque vehicle. That's aside from the bits of cheap, interior trim which fell off for no apparent reason. Good for about 145-150 mph, but with the collapsing rear suspension, it was always on the back of my mind when travelling at speed.... so no, been there, done that and I wouldn't under ANY circumstance want one."

 

Well, what do you make of that?

 

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't surprise me.  We all know BMW stands for Big Money Worries.  And that some dealers are hopeless.

 

Will it stop me driving one. Nope, or until I can't buy a petrol one with a minimum of 6 cylinders.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well...bearing in mind that car was on the road 24/7 driven and maintained by many different people I wouldn't pay much attention for this feedback. Especially he didn't give any particularly examples except this one of rear suspension.

How he could know how many times rear wheels crushed curbs or the vehicle has been used offroad?

 

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^what he said.

 

These police cars can be used in extreme situations, off roading, T packs and providing the odd nudge to another road vehicle in a friendly way just to let the driver know that the police are here....... such things I image aren't too nice to the rear suspension.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a bit of an aside, when I was a young lad of about 7 years old, my Grandfather was the head of the armed forces in France and part of is remit was the Gendarmerie. I was very lucky to have been given a high speed run in the below by the chief driving instructor with my Grandfather, on what I am assuming was the A1 or A6 Autoroute... At the time this car looked like the future to me and I remember the speed and the noise (bear in mind my Dad was driving a Mk1 Scirroco Storm) being incredible.... 

16b187a8d4e2dfc04b9de6efed4498bf--alpine-renault-police-cars.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As has been mentioned, "compared to what?" well I can speak with authority on that subject as I look after a large fleet vehicles for a force which currently consists of BMW's, Audi's, Volvo's and Ford's and has in the past also had Skoda's, VW's and Saab's. 

 

Comparing Audi and Volvo with BMW is a bit of a non starter, Volvo's have all manner of cylinder head and AC issues, wear on the inside edge of the front tyres is absurd. Audi, where would you like me to start? DPF issues, driveline judder/vibration, turbo's, DSG gearbox failure (as in every car), buckled wheels and blowing a sidelight bulb means changing the complete headlight unit as Audi in their infinite wisdom didn't press out a hole to access the bulb!! Ford Mondeo's are arguably the most reliable although they aren't driven as hard as the other cars, the common issue with them is EGR valves from 40k miles and the end of the dipstick falling off, often into the sump!

 

F11's do get through the rear struts, generally every 40k ish miles, 525D engines are still prone to timing chain failure when the car is town based (there is some debate that it may be down to the DPF system injecting too much fuel which thins the engine oil = loss of lubrication). 

 

Trim on all Police cars suffer badly due to officer equipment belts and the fact that most of the trim gets removed in order to fit the special equipment so clips are often damaged by the time the car is delivered.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an Ex police car 530D. I looked at the maintenance report on it from its life on what work has been done on it by the police. It all seems to be servicing and a few issues with auxiliary battery, headlight replacement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wife and I just watched some police interceptor program, and Plod was chasing someone while hammering it over the traffic calming speed bumps - it's no wonder the suspension and trim fell off! I suspect that some of the cars from motorway patrols will be far better repair wise, than those that spend their time getting around the council estates chasing 15yr olds in Corsa's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LeQuack said:

The wife and I just watched some police interceptor program, and Plod was chasing someone while hammering it over the traffic calming speed bumps - it's no wonder the suspension and trim fell off! I suspect that some of the cars from motorway patrols will be far better repair wise, than those that spend their time getting around the council estates chasing 15yr olds in Corsa's.

 

Great theory about getting a motorway (traffic car) but they deal with pursuits and TPAC = essentially ramming cars,,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DickieG said:

 

Great theory about getting a motorway (traffic car) but they deal with pursuits and TPAC = essentially ramming cars,,

 

Ah, touché! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Spreadly said:

A little off topic I know, but bare with me. Just been speaking with an ex copper on Facebook who drove BMWs and he had the following to say...

 

"As a retired traffic cop who unfortunately had to drive BMW's for about 15 years, my biggest concern is their total lack of reliability - spent as much time in the workshops or back at the dealership as being driven. Yes, we drove them hard and fast, but the rear suspension issues on the majority we had on the fleet is not good, considering they are supposedly a top marque vehicle. That's aside from the bits of cheap, interior trim which fell off for no apparent reason. Good for about 145-150 mph, but with the collapsing rear suspension, it was always on the back of my mind when travelling at speed.... so no, been there, done that and I wouldn't under ANY circumstance want one."

 

Well, what do you make of that?

 

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

 

 

Was chatting to an owner of a large private chauffeur company lately. About 30 cars. He only had premium cars. He told me Audi are the least reliable. "A nightmare. Never again". Bmw are "ok but some problems". Mercedes are the best. He was moving to 100% Mercedes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, reggie59 said:

Was chatting to an owner of a large private chauffeur company lately. About 30 cars. He only had premium cars. He told me Audi are the least reliable. "A nightmare. Never again". Bmw are "ok but some problems". Mercedes are the best. He was moving to 100% Mercedes. 

 

As someone who has owned a couple of SL 55's my experience with Mercedes was rather challenging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Doesn't surprise me.  We all know BMW stands for Big Money Worries.  And that some dealers are hopeless.

 

Will it stop me driving one. Nope, or until I can't buy a petrol one with a minimum of 6 cylinders.....

 

Tell me - does your car have six cylinders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

 

Exactly but the ecomentalists and the swivel eyed lunatic in charge of Scotland see it very differently.

 

Is Jimmy Kranky not a car fan, then?  :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr Taylor said:

 

Is Jimmy Kranky not a car fan, then?  :huh:

 

No that looney wants to ban proper cars by 2032, 8 years ahead of Westminster, just to get one over the government she so bitterly hates. Not for any other reason, she certainly won't authorise the necessary nuclear power stations that we will need to refuel all our electric cars all night, every night instead of popping down to your local Shell station for a 5 minute fill up once every two weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

 

No that looney wants to ban proper cars by 2032, 8 years ahead of Westminster, just to get one over the government she so bitterly hates. Not for any other reason, she certainly won't authorise the necessary nuclear power stations that we will need to refuel all our electric cars all night, every night instead of popping down to your local Shell station for a 5 minute fill up once every two weeks.

 

I for one supported Scottish independence - on the principle of self determination - but I sense lots of Scots are happy in the Union, and think Kranky is a serial, pathological monomaniac.

 

Anyway!

 

Cars: what's wrong with my 4 pot diesel then?  ;)

Edited by Dr Taylor
mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dr Taylor said:

 

I for one supported Scottish independence -

 

...and I was just beginning to like you.

 

3 minutes ago, Dr Taylor said:

but I sense lots of Scots are happy in the Union,

 

Your powers of spidy sense are on top form.

 

4 minutes ago, Dr Taylor said:

Kranky is a serial, pathological monomaniac.

 

You are redeeming yourself.

 

5 minutes ago, Dr Taylor said:

Cars: what's wrong with my 4 pot diesel then?  ;)

 

I'll let you figure that one out, the clue is in your last line.....:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×