NWJW

Electric fan conversion......

19 posts in this topic

........Anyone done one?  The 540 needs a replacement viscous fan as it has a blade missing so I was thinking of doing away with it and going down the electric fan route. There seems to be plenty of universal kits available and making some brackets shouldn't be too difficult. Good idea? Any reason why I shouldn't?

32 minutes ago, NWJW said:

........Anyone done one?  The 540 needs a replacement viscous fan as it has a blade missing so I was thinking of doing away with it and going down the electric fan route. There seems to be plenty of universal kits available and making some brackets shouldn't be too difficult. Good idea? Any reason why I shouldn't?

Quite a few topics re this over on the relevant E39 part of bimmerforums.com

Probably worth a search out and read of

NWJW likes this

I've done it using a Volvo fan and a revotec controller

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

NWJW likes this

You need a pretty powerful electric fan though to equal the capacity of the standard engine driven viscous.

However I believe the E46 has an electric fan although they only had 6 cylinder engines, I'd imagine a V8 could potentially need a lot of cooling on a hot summers day

NWJW likes this

I personally would never EVER consider lecky fans on my 540i  unless I spend a serious amount of money on a set of decent ones. The V8's produce a hell of a lot of heat and putting a set of el cheapol generic universal electric fans is asking for trouble. Do it if you like, but don't be surprised if the next time your sat in traffic you blow the engine up. I would strongly suggest you stick to the oem viscous fan setup as its quite obviously the more reliable option. Hope this helps ;) 

NWJW likes this

The one from an E46 330 manual is pretty decent in size, and can be wired up to the pusher fan connection so you can do away with the pusher fan completely. 

You could even add a fan controller such as this YouTube guy did. 

Ive actually ordered a couple of controllers as I couldn't believe how well they fit in the ash tray! Needless to say my M3 and 530d will be getting one each in due course.  

NWJW likes this

^^ That looks quite tidy. I would consider fitting something like that to accompany a good quality high output fan but however the OP wanted to buy a universal fan instead and I'm still not confident that a cheap setup would be capable of keeping an m6x engine at the correct temperature sat in a traffic jam on a hot summers day....:unsure:

Edited by boiliebasher

Indeed, they're not bad for £8. 

I couldn't agree more re universal fans, I've fitted a fair few to cars over the years (not my own I must add) and have never been impressed, even a Mishimoto one seemed pretty weak and flimsy compared to an OEM offering. 

Z4 fans are also a good hunt on eBAy, come in a verity of sizes and still use the PWM speed control like an E39 does. 

Well I've gathered that a universal fan is out the window, I shall be giving them a rather wide berth!

I'll have a look into suitable oem fans that would do the job but having had a quick look into what is involved over the last few days I suspect it may be best (and easier!) to chuck another viscous on it, if it ain't broke and all that.....:)

9 hours ago, NWJW said:

Well I've gathered that a universal fan is out the window, I shall be giving them a rather wide berth!

I'll have a look into suitable oem fans that would do the job but having had a quick look into what is involved over the last few days I suspect it may be best (and easier!) to chuck another viscous on it, if it ain't broke and all that.....:)

Oh by the way, if the viscous coupling itself is still fine, you should be able to literally just undo the nuts holding on the the plastic fan blades to the coupling and bolt your replacement one straight on, voila, job done. This should make things even easier and cheaper for you I hope! :D

9 hours ago, NWJW said:

It'll definitely be easier and quicker to replace the blades that's for sure, and you know it'll work perfectly well. 

I'm always kind of surprised at the number of people who are in a hurry to bin off the viscous fan system. It seems a fairly easy to maintain system with very few components required to make the system work... the viscous fan coupling / clutch and the fan blades themselves? Electric fan systems are surely equally expensive, with more components involved along with associated wiring and the like. Just maintaining the viscous system seems the least painful option by any measure?

boiliebasher likes this

9 hours ago, boiliebasher said:

Oh by the way, if the viscous coupling itself is still fine, you should be able to literally just undo the nuts holding on the the plastic fan blades to the coupling and bolt your replacement one straight on, voila, job done. This should make things even easier and cheaper for you I hope! :D

Yep, there's nothing wrong with the coupling, it was actually replaced not long before I bought the car, I suspect the fan was damaged during it's replacement. 

I just need to find a replacement fan surround as when the fan blade came off it smashed a hole in it.....:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

I'm always kind of surprised at the number of people who are in a hurry to bin off the viscous fan system. It seems a fairly easy to maintain system with very few components required to make the system work... the viscous fan coupling / clutch and the fan blades themselves? Electric fan systems are surely equally expensive, with more components involved along with associated wiring and the like. Just maintaining the viscous system seems the least painful option by any measure?

+1 Completely agree. In my experience, the viscous fan setup is the strongest and most reliable setup you can get, end of. All 4 of my cars have a viscous fan cooling setup, and I'm sure as shit ain't in a hurry to rush out and replace it with an electric setup instead. Some folk do it an effort to gain a few hp, but on something like an M6x V8 engine, are you really actually going to notice them extra couple of ponies?! I highly doubt it.....

11 minutes ago, boiliebasher said:

+1 Completely agree. In my experience, the viscous fan setup is the strongest and most reliable setup you can get, end of. All 4 of my cars have a viscous fan cooling setup, and I'm sure as shit ain't in a hurry to rush out and replace it with an electric setup instead. Some folk do it an effort to gain a few hp, but on something like an M6x V8 engine, are you really actually going to notice them extra couple of ponies?! I highly doubt it.....

The ease of removing it for access to the front of the motor too... a couple of plastic pegs for the fan shroud, a counter sunk spanner and normal spanner and you can have the whole lot out in 60 seconds. It's really a superb piece of design. Coming from mid-90's VW ownership where the car had a twin fan setup (where the motor was known to fail), in a shroud with electrical connectors for the fan (which could come undone.. and your car would overheat), temperature sensors in the radiator (which are known to fail regularly), and a standalone fan controller unit which was also prone to fail.. honestly, the viscous fan is like a dream in comparison! 

Personally i'd stick with the OEM viscous set up especially for the street. In fact i would avoid purchasing a vehicle converted with an electric fan set up unless it was something a little difficult to obtain and even then i would be looking to convert it back to standard.

Viscous couplings simply just work. They are designed to only lock up once they sense higher temperatures and this is usually when the vehicle is in traffic or stationary, the precise time that the motor is at its least efficient and unlikely to be required to give maximum power. For a track day special or racer when every ounce of power is required then perhaps, but for normal duty it is unnecessary and smacks of fiddling imo.

Some folk delete the viscous coupling and don't bother with any electric installation, relying on the a/c pusher fan. This is even more foolhardy imo and i definitely would not rely on this fan to cool the engine effectively and still provide cooling for the A/C system. Might get away with it in the depths of winter but on a steaming hot summers day you'd be asking for trouble.

I've run my 530d and both M5's without the viscous fan - so only the aux pusher fan - for years. I run an Ultragauge OBD reader in both and coolant temps even on the hottest of days with A/C on are always fine.

The M62 V8's normal operating temp is around 107 degrees so you can't run one of them without the viscous fan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, ttrw2 said:

I've run my 530d and both M5's without the viscous fan - so only the aux pusher fan - for years. I run an Ultragauge OBD reader in both and coolant temps even on the hottest of days with A/C on are always fine.

My aux fan, surprisingly for an old e39 (not!), doesn't work :rolleyes:, so without the viscous I would have nothing, I'll worry about the aux fan next year when the weather warms up again (or if I fit a sport front bumper in the meantime).  ;):)