Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OAPINGT

Onboard computer problems

16 posts in this topic

Hi hope anyone can help  my F 07 seems to have lost some information on the control message showing the remaining range of miles on the clock it seems to have disappeared!

from the dial.

any info would be appreciated 

1 hour ago, OAPINGT said:

Hi hope anyone can help  my F 07 seems to have lost some information on the control message showing the remaining range of miles on the clock it seems to have disappeared!

from the dial.

any info would be appreciated 

Could you post a picture showing what is missing and where? Is it on the iDrive monitor or on the Kombi cluster? Have you checked your iDrive settings to see whether the specific function's tick box has been un-ticked? Have you inadvertently pressed the BC button on the end of the indicator stalk that scrolls through the central Kombi display options?

Dr Taylor likes this

47 minutes ago, Dr Taylor said:

Disconnect battery and do a system re-boot?

Joking: someone else here with actual technical knowledge will know.  Mr Ashton will swoop in!

Don't joke, anyone with a BMW who has an electrical problem, knows that's the first thing you do.

The second is to ask for help on a forum and hope someone like Matthew knows!

Dr Taylor likes this

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Don't joke, anyone with a BMW who has an electrical problem, knows that's the first thing you do.

The second is to ask for help on a forum and hope someone like Matthew knows!

WAIT!

Did I just give someone some accurate advice?  This never happens.  Hold my beer.  I'm telling the wife.

Well you were close, switch off and back on again is my definition of a system reboot.

Disconnecting the battery is a bit more drastic, but has the same effect except you need tools which may not be to hand when it throws its electrical toys out the pram, for example when outside the littl'uns nursery.

Dr Taylor likes this

8 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Well you were close, switch off and back on again is my definition of a system reboot.

Disconnecting the battery is a bit more drastic, but has the same effect except you need tools which may not be to hand when it throws its electrical toys out the pram, for example when outside the littl'uns nursery.

'Well you were close'.

I'll take that.

50 Man points for me.  :D

535i Andrew likes this

Joking aside, weird electrical goings on can sometimes never be explained and simply switching it off and leaving it for a few hours, then come back and it's fine. 

Ask any E39 owner........:blink:

Sometimes there is more sinister goings on and the car needs a software update which can cure a number of issues. Again ask any E60 owner........:blink:

I would image the F10 or F07 in this case has similar.

Dr Taylor likes this

All sorted !

Some silly old fool had unticked a box !

ill get my coat !

thanks for all your  input and patience.

oapingt

535i Andrew likes this

56 minutes ago, OAPINGT said:

All sorted !

ill get my coat !

oapingt

Glad its sorted.  Its amazing what an innocent click in the wrong box can do.  We had good banter in the process.;)

1 hour ago, OAPINGT said:

All sorted !

ill get my coat !

oapingt

Often the simplest thing hence my suggestions - Thankfully nothing more sinister.

On 12/09/2017 at 7:19 PM, Dr Taylor said:

Disconnect battery and do a system re-boot?

Joking: someone else here with actual technical knowledge will know.  Mr Ashton will swoop in!

Can someone please tell me how to do a system reboot on a 2010 f10 530d se... every electrical failure under the sun is now turning up.  

Thanks.

Arun

I think the best way to do it is to disconnect a terminal on the battery and let everything discharge for a few minutes before reconnecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No such thing as a system reboot on these cars. The car is made up of many ECUs that communicate with each other over a couple of different networks. The battery disconnect is a starting point and shouldn't do any harm. 

Which errors are showing? This type of behaviour is often related to a failing battery or a battery that has not had the time to fully charge. Get the error codes read and if you have access to one, connect a conditioning battery charger overnight - CTEK MXS5.0 is a good place to start. 

Dr Taylor likes this

57 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Which errors are showing? This type of behaviour is often related to a failing battery or a battery that has not had the time to fully charge. Get the error codes read and if you have access to one, connect a conditioning battery charger overnight - CTEK MXS5.0 is a good place to start. 

+1 on that.

These cars electrical systems depend on a good supply from the battery. If the battery is not as good as it could be, then these sorts of issues can arise.

A number of electrical problems on my E39 never reappeared after a new genuine battery was installed.

When my first E60 failed to start one morning due to a battery discharge problem, after I had got it jumped started via AA, the idrive then proceeded to fire of warning after warning that certain things weren't going to work as there was insufficient electrical power, as it idled and charge built up, these warnings disappeared.

Dr Taylor likes this