Calypso-E34

Ebay - Strange behaviour - items not showing

I've listed a few things on Ebay.  When I click into one of them, and then click other items, only 2 of my 13 items show up.  If I click into the International option, they all show up.  I have listed them all the same way, from the same computer, but only 2 show up as being in the UK.  Some were even re-listed items which were fine before.  The only thing I changed was the listing duration - I put them all to 30 days.  Given that I don't post outside the UK unless I use the Global Shipping Programme, this means I'm not getting much exposure!  There seems to be nothing I can do to fix this!!!

Anyone else had the same problem?  If you have any listings, I'd check.

My wife does a lot of this ebay lark. It's a bit of a dark art at times. I just stay clear of it unless, on the rare occasion, I ask her to list something for me!

The only issue I've had with eBay is folk claiming they didn't receive or leaving you feedback.

Ebay is a pretty useful thing for me. Great place to look for deals on things, and for Used stuff when you don't want to pay for new.

Selling there is fine for me too - I tend to collect various things, and then have a purge to make room for other things, or refine my collections. Ok, I lose 13% between eBay and PayPal, but I'm not trying to run a business. Let's face it - you get great exposure.

I've been buying and selling on the 'bay since 2007, and I've only had one item I sold go missing. Everything goes recorded delivery as a minimum, and guaranteed next day for pricier things, mainly for the insurance.

I thought I had developed a nose for idiot sellers - and I do my homework - but occasionally I get caught out. I've never been out of pocket in the end though.

I'm selling some watches from my collection now ( link in the classified section!), and then I'm going to seriously thin out my 1:43 scale model collection.

I have a new hobby now...... a full size one!

26 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Everything goes recorded delivery as a minimum, and guaranteed next day for pricier things, mainly for the insurance.

Yeah, that's where I went wrong, lesson learned then no issues since.

Its far cheaper than Amazon, which even with Prime I have found a con as the item costs more under prime that it does not on prime and cheaper again on the 'bay!

Well you guys have obviously been quite lucky with your dealings on the bay' then. Everyone I know, including myself have had numerous problems with it and whilst yes, I agree that exposure is at times phenomenal, the hassle and agro that is usually associated with it outweighs it for me. I think it can be very "anonymous" as you don't really know who is on the other end and bidding on your items. From a private seller's prospective I personally think it's usually more agro than its worth. However from a buyers prospective it can be an excellent place to shop. If you know specifically what your looking for, you can get car parts dirt cheap ;)

It's about being careful who you trade with. Using feedback. Communicating. Protecting yourself. For me it's also about exceeding expectations.

10 years, 2688 100% positive feedback from almost 3000 transactions, buying and selling - a reputation of which I'm quite proud.

Lots of people hate it, and for sure it's not for everyone - but I guess you get out what you put in. It took me a good 18 months to learn most of it - and I'm still learning!

10 minutes ago, boiliebasher said:

you can get car parts dirt cheap ;)

Yeah especially when a newbie to selling on eBay lists new and unopened from packaging parts for their E60 that they just got rid of for an F10, with no reserve with a starting bid of £0.99 and only got one bid!

Another lesson learned!

3 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

It's about being careful who you trade with. Using feedback. Communicating. Protecting yourself. For me it's also about exceeding expectations.

Sounds a bit like a one stand to me matey!! :lol:

Mark, do you find living in Inverness a problem when buying on eBay?

A number of sellers pull the "Scottish Higlands and Islands" crap when you are mainland U.K. And hit you for extra shipping costs even though they send via Royal Mail who makes no such discrimination!

I have a PA postcode but live only a few miles from Glasgow yet get occasionally pulled for it being in the same bag as an Islay postcode! Funny as when challenged, they never respond!

I've had to pay extra a few times, or had to settle for 48 hour service instead of 24. Royal Mail are great, but expensive for some things.

The problem is courier delivered stuff. If something has to go north of Perth, it costs more. I've found this with wheels, with a couple of exceptions.

Whole thing makes me laugh sometimes. I've bought stuff from sellers in England, and waited a week for it. I've bought watches from a Singapore, and I get them in 3 days!