Darkbmwlord

Battery question

13 posts in this topic

First of all, thank you for this excellent forum, a mine of information.

Im starting to rather like this BMW e39 thing, even if I still hate the later models! And it's riddled with faults, but then it was cheap...

Anyway my question - I'm trying to see if I can get the remote locking to work, and am following some of the info I've found, to no avail so far. All attempts at recoding are unsuccessful, nothing happens. 

Before I investigate electrics, can I just confirm that I can disconnect the battery, and not loose radio codes etc, or anything harmful?

Many thanks!:)

I've had the battery on and off my 2002 E39 today doing airbag stuff. All it seems to lose is the clock setting but radio is fine and remembers stations.

Machinehead likes this

Yep - ditto. Had to pull mine to charge it a few times due to battery drain issues and all I lost, that I can tell, was the date / time.

Have disconnected battery before, all it lost was the clock.

Did anyone notice car seem to drive bit better after reconnecting the battery? Well, at least it did for me.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Changed my battery a couple of times in my eight and a half years of ownership - as above, just the clock needs resetting.

If you change it fast enough you won't even lose the clock!

No way can you change a touring battery fast enough. Gives you a flipping hernia!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chicaneuk likes this

On 12/09/2017 at 8:58 PM, duncan-uk said:

No way can you change a touring battery fast enough. Gives you a flipping hernia!!

At least on the touring you can still get into the boot easy enough with a flat or removed battery :D 

I think the battery in the saloon is a bit of a contortionist job as well!

Edited by Loadmaster

On 9/12/2017 at 9:04 AM, GWH said:

Have disconnected battery before, all it lost was the clock.

Did anyone notice car seem to drive bit better after reconnecting the battery? Well, at least it did for me.

Maybe it resets the throttle position of the pedal as well or something along the lines of that?

Edited by DerekJr.

On 12 September 2017 at 8:58 PM, duncan-uk said:

I should add it was a 3 man effort, one on the terminals, one to remove and one to refit. 

Just to see if it was possible you understand, all very juvenile but there we are.