*jimmyj*

High mileage e39 530d yes or no

45 posts in this topic

Suspension and bumpers sills and spoiler if applicable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be good to read a progress thread from anyone that has gone through that process. If anyone knows of someone please point me in their direction.

Not really, if you can't find what you want then build it, sure it might cost more, but you end up with exactly what you want. If I found a suitable rust free 530d SE I'd definitely consider swapping my sport components over, as sadly mine is rusty in all the usual places. 

Mines showing the signs of surface rust in a few places but is still pretty solid. Shame it'll be off soon.

Mines showing the signs of surface rust in a few places but is still pretty solid. Shame it'll be off soon.

You got one for sale NuckingFuts?

You got one for sale NuckingFuts?

My manual sport touring will have to make way pretty soon. A motorbike had a disagreement with my front bumper last year, and even after its been replaced my insurance has filed court papers with the biker and his insurance because they won't pull their finger out and respond to repeated requests for information.

Can't afford the insurance. £300 last year and £2000 this coming year (1st October onwards) with a claim still pending.

It's got a couple of bits that need attention and a couple of surface rust spots and 217k on the clock but drives well for a manual.

£300 to £2000 futs me!!!!!!

None of the classic insurers would touch it with the open claim and normal insurance companies are quoting ridiculous prices.

I'd rather walk for that money. My postcode is fairly attractive to price rises but I've never had a theft/damage arising home in the 25 years I've been at this address.

That seems a ridiculous position to be put in, so effective your car is uninsurable? 

Couldn't you put it on a Q plate? Bit of a left field thought and I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I think you'd have to pass an IVA test. 

Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in. 

That seems a ridiculous position to be put in, so effective your car is uninsurable? 

Couldn't you put it on a Q plate? Bit of a left field thought and I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I think you'd have to pass an IVA test. 

Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in. 

Potentially something to look at but in the time frame, nigh-on impossible.

The car and myself. One person even said that all 5 series cars are on high rating groups for insurances so expect to pay more than what you may usually expect.

I was looking at maybe a trade policy but that also came to around £2000.

Im hoping that the formal court papers will cause the third party to think more seriously and settle out of court to make it go away seeing as they're the lazy ones.

I made and submitted my statement and photos of the incident and area within hours of the event. The biker hasn't even done that yet. And it's been 10 months.

Sorry to hijack the thread @jimmyj

9 hours ago, *jimmyj* said:

Is yours auto

Mine? Yep... FSH since new, and I'm the second owner. Petrol btw.

11 hours ago, *jimmyj* said:

Are non sports models easy to change in to m sport models? 

That would be one hell of a job,  converting an E39 into an E60/61.

7 minutes ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

That would be one hell of a job,  converting an E39 into an E60/61.

Yes I suppose it would be! A sport then :P

NuckingFuts likes this

My 530 manual Touring is on 160k. I have had her for 12 years. I did have to change a metal part that connects to the actual gears stick on top of the box. I can't remember what it was called now! Apart from that FSH and she has been brilliant.

NuckingFuts likes this

14 hours ago, *jimmyj* said:

Just having a wild moment of thinking. Are non sports models easy to change in to m sport models? As in appears....bumpers etc.

Yes, although the Sport has firmer suspension (or so I'm lead to believe) personally I couldn't tell the difference having owned both sport and non-sport tourings. As you say, you'll need bumpers and interior trim (sports have lots of M badges) but the biggest job is the black headlining!