*jimmyj*

High mileage e39 530d yes or no

45 posts in this topic

I'm on the look out for a nice e39 but a lot of them are high mileage ones with the automatic gearbox.

I've heard story about the automatic gearboxes in the x5 failing around the 120k mark. 120k or maybe even 170k+ of mileage doesn't scare me but the automatic boxes on them do.

Any advise on what I should do or check?

I'm on the look out for a nice e39 but a lot of them are high mileage ones with the automatic gearbox.

I've heard story about the automatic gearboxes in the x5 failing around the 120k mark. 120k or maybe even 170k+ of mileage doesn't scare me but the automatic boxes on them do.

Any advise on what I should do or check?

I've just swapped my tourer from an auto box to a manual. The ride is good but in hindsight another auto box may have faired the car better. The saloon would fair well with a manual box though.

The auto boxes are hit and miss in my experience, some have high miles but have been serviced regularly without failure, some have never had a gearbox service and still go well, some have been serviced a couple of times and given up the ghost with a myriad of issues from the torque converter to synchromesh or internal bearings.

Mine drives well with a 5 speed box manual prop diff and adapted pedal box. But due to a protracted issue with a motorbike taking a liking to my bumper I'm having to sell up or break it.

I'd start with test driving a warm car, going through the gears as vigorously as conditions and speeds restrictions allow and listen for knocking during gear shifts. If it jerks at all, run away.

High miles aren't generally an issue IMO

It's all about the cars servicing and maintenance

And usually cars that have got to high miles have been fairly well looked after!

NuckingFuts likes this

I've seen a saloon e39 with 220k which is in manual, but that just puts me right off. Am I silly?

Not really, saloons are boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mines on 185k, still on its original clutch, and been running 290hp & 410lb-ft for 100k of that. 

I love mine and can't see me ever changing it. 

Mine was on 184k on an auto box, worked beautifully up until I sold it

Edited by bmpaul

Oh yea, mine was 212k before I went manual a few weeks ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My E39 530d Sport Touring had 189k on the clock when I sold it and it still pulled like a train and went through the gears like silk. As said before condition and history over mileage.

Chek service history first, if maintained well high mileage is not a deal breaker on bmw, but poorly maintained diesel bmw auto is a money pit. Diesels tend to chew up auto boxes quicker than petrol if abused due to high torque, so test well before you buy. If it jerks in any gear run. Don't buy a car with tow hook becose you don't know what was towed, it might be ok, just used just once in a while to tow a light load or towing heavy load daily, you just dont know.  Try to shift it trough the gears up and down while standing still and see if it jerks. Drive it moderatly up hill and keep accelerator steady in about 1000 revs range and see if revs fluctuate +- 100rpm, if it does it could be a symptom of worn out torque converter, very old gearbox oil and filter, or one of clutch packs slipping.

P.s. if you are looking to buy cheap high mileage e39 i think you are better off with petrol 525i/530i manual. Very relieable car, and if service history is ok high mileage is not a big issue.

NuckingFuts likes this

My 530d is on 188k and autobox is perfect. my lads is on 210k and perfect. Both had the fluid and filter changed.  Can only suggest you listen and 'feel' very carefully when you test drive it.

NuckingFuts likes this

My 523i auto is at 269k miles with original engine and gearbox. I think the GM diesel gearboxes were more prone to failures than ZF petrol gearboxes but don't quote me on that. I bought mine with 195k miles on the clock more than 4 years ago. 

9 hours ago, DerekJr. said:

My 523i auto is at 269k miles with original engine and gearbox. I think the GM diesel gearboxes were more prone to failures than ZF petrol gearboxes but don't quote me on that. I bought mine with 195k miles on the clock more than 4 years ago. 

Blimey, you do some miles Derek. Over 70k in four years?

4 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Blimey, you do some miles Derek. Over 70k in four years?

That's not that high, I regularly clock up and average of 25-30k every year as my sales job takes me all over the UK and yes, i used my E39 for business and a pal has his own man-in-a-van business using an E39 touring and has done 78k since January.

On 9/11/2017 at 3:45 PM, NuckingFuts said:

I've just swapped my tourer from an auto box to a manual.

Was this an easy job, did you do it yourself or have someone else do it?

Was this an easy job, did you do it yourself or have someone else do it?

Had it done by Phil @ CPC in Amersham.

Took a few days due to a couple of parts being incompatible and having to re-order.

Mr_530i likes this

9 hours ago, pauliexjr said:

That's not that high, I regularly clock up and average of 25-30k every year as my sales job takes me all over the UK and yes, i used my E39 for business and a pal has his own man-in-a-van business using an E39 touring and has done 78k since January.

Plenty of life left in mine then at 119,000 miles.

I've only done 32,000 miles in the eight and a half years of owning it!