Hakon

My E39 M5

14 posts in this topic

Owned since 2009 with 72k.  Rear eibach arb, 40% locking differential, intrax springs and bilstein B8 dampers, powerflex control / thrust bushing, Russ 4-2-1 headers, Eisenman box, E60 SSK, braided hoses, BMW PBK front, Porsche 4 pots rear.

DSC_0982_2.JPG

IMG_4061_3.JPG

IMAG0085.jpg

IMG_4046.JPG

0019-1_2.jpg

Edited by Hakon

That sounds like a car well done :mrgreen: 

Hakon likes this

Lovely example and a nice selection of mods too. How do you find the Eibach rear ARB? I'm thinking this might be my next purchase to tighten up the handling.

Hakon likes this

2 hours ago, Jameswsb said:

Lovely example and a nice selection of mods too. How do you find the Eibach rear ARB? I'm thinking this might be my next purchase to tighten up the handling.

Thanks,

The two modifications that have provided the biggest changes have been the intrax /bilstein over standard and the rear ARB.

Rear arb has tightened up turn in and made the front more direct with a reduction in roll. It came soon after the springs and dampers so I wasn't fully accustomed to the new set up before fitting but I'd recommend it.

It was a toss up between Eibach and the Dinan (which had come available on the market again) but with the shipping / import and handling fees, as well as the fact  I'm likely never to change the settings, it was an easy choice.

Unfortunately the Eibach only comes in a kit with both front and rear bars. I'll not be fitting the front as the chassis requires some grinding to fit and the improvement in handling from the rear arb is somewhat lost. It does however make the rear an expensive bit of bent red metal !

Hakon

Edited by Hakon
Jameswsb likes this

Thats good to hear. I will be going down the Bilstein/Intrax route too. Initially I was going for BC coilovers but, to be honest I don't really want adjustability as I would always be tempted to play about with it. I have rear ARB's on other cars (always installed by previous owner) and was really happy how they improve the handling so it seems a natural thing to do on the M5. I have spoken with Larkspeed and they reckon I can order the rear ARB on its own, thankfully.

Did you find the Porsche rear calipers easy to fit?

I had problems (juddering) with the OE front brakes since I started ownership, with all the usual potential causative factors dealt with, to no avail. Three set's of front discs, pads and rebuilds later, I gave up and went BMW PBK and haven't had any issues since. 

SInce being able to brake harder now, without the sensation of the steering wheel being pulled from my hands, it kinda highlighted that the front performance felt stronger than the rear.  

The porsche calipers were rebuilt with new seals and swapped over the link pipe and bleed nipples (Porsche run these the other way round) They were also poorly sprayed to colour match the fronts.

An adapter bracket and some trimming of the shield is required as well as a few washers to perfect the fit. A couple of different pad sizes are available with one of them filling the swept surface of the disc perfectly, sorry can't remember exactly... but they are oe textar from ecp

Hakon

DSC_0183.JPG

DSC_0179.JPG

DSC_0192.JPG

Edited by Hakon
cocomillion likes this

What brake disks are you running on the front?.

I was considering this brake option but given that it's very difficult to find a disk that's floating I never pulled the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8 hours ago, Chewi said:

What brake disks are you running on the front?.

I was considering this brake option but given that it's very difficult to find a disk that's floating I never pulled the trigger.

Font caliper and discs and pads are from the BMW 135 performance kit, you'll also need an adapter bracket.

The discs need a little modification to fit our hubs or our hubs need a little modification to fit the discs, which ever way you prefer.

IMG-20151105-WA0002.jpg

Edited by Hakon
cocomillion likes this

That was the reason I didn't go for it.

That disk is a 28mm non floating disk and the standard disk is a 32mm, floating disk.

The M5 is heavier than the 135i so the disks generate a greater amount of heat. A monoblock calliper with a non floating disk means there's no much room for heat expansion.

Maybe I'm being over cautious.

1 hour ago, Chewi said:

That was the reason I didn't go for it.

That disk is a 28mm non floating disk and the standard disk is a 32mm, floating disk.

The M5 is heavier than the 135i so the disks generate a greater amount of heat. A monoblock calliper with a non floating disk means there's no much room for heat expansion.

Maybe I'm being over cautious.

I think this would only be an issue if you were really using the car hard on track regularly. I'm in the process of buying a front BBK and i'm going for non floating (actually the disc is mounted on an ally bell) as it will only see light track action, i.e. a few laps of the Ring but I want a better pedal feel and ultimate stopping power. I've spoken to a few people on this subject and they have had no issues with solid discs on track. 

I'm with you all the way on the reasons not to go with the BMW PBK, my decision was based mainly on the fact that I had to replace the front discs and pads (tried various combos) three times in 30k as well as rebuilding the front calipers and everything else,in order to try and sort the front judder that I was experiencing.

At each replacement the judder came back within 500 miles resulting in not being able to really drive the car, the hotter the brakes, the worse the judder.

I toyed with the idea of an AP racing or Stoptech brake kit but as I don't as such track the car, I had difficulty in justifying the added expenditure.

In light of my disc judder issues, I've followed the BMW PBK kit since it's adaptation to our cars and I have as yet to come across any documented issues when used on our cars, only what appears to be an unfounded feeling in parts of the community that it's a downgrade over standard. 

Sure, it's by no means perfect and you can easily find evidence of the ceramic hats of the pistons cracking after repeated hard track use and the dust boots melting but for a kit that came in at a about a grand with easily sourced replacement parts /discs / pads, I decided what the hell.

Having had the fronts on now for over 2.5 years, I'm very happy, without issue and for me they have been a significant improvement over standard with gains in pedal feedback and outright stopping ability.

This has included everything from U.K driving, to fully loaded up braking 100-150 and down, due to those trucks that 'just' pull out on the dual carriageway autobahns.

I'll probably not go with the BMW pads when they need replacing and replacement discs are pretty cheap when ECP has a discount thing going on.

Hakon 

Edited by Hakon
Chewi likes this