d_a_n1979

E39 bulbs list

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone have one; a definitive/comprehensive list for the bulbs used on an E39?

I want to replace as many bulbs as I can with LED's and thought it'd be handy to know what bulb types the E39 has (without taking them all out, unless I have to) :lol:

Philips, Osram, GE, etc. web sites will list most or all bulbs for a selected car. Usually by type and their part #, (e.g. D2S and Philips 85122) often with multiple alternatives including LEDs that they happen to provide. There are model year differences, e.g. earlier E39s had an incandescent tail light bulb while later ones used Hella's Celis technology with embedded LEDs so no replacement bulb available - other than an entire rear light assembly.

A heads up though. There have been reports that LEDs can trigger false bulb out warnings in the instrument cluster. And any bulbs "cold monitored" by the LCM can flash for an instant every minute or so when an LED is installed. Some folks aren't bothered, other are. The LCM can be re-coded with NCS Expert to selectively turn off bulb monitoring ... and again some like the idea, others don't.

For LEDs; make sure they're CANBUS error free and you're fine. Use standard LED's and that's where the issues kick in

Unfortunately; the listed bulbs on most car bulb websites are wrong; hence why I'm asking for a comprehensive list to be sorted. So, I'll start

Front of car:

• Dipped beam - H7 or D2S xenon
  • Main beam - H7
  • Facelift headlights - angel eyes (worlds your oyster when it comes to these, price wise and brightness wise) / pre-facelift headlights: .........
  • Indicator bulbs - .......
  • Side lights - 501

Rear of car:

Pre facelift:

Facelift:

Does someone want to start filling in the blanks?!

;) 

Front of car:

Pre facelift:

• Dipped - HB4 or D2S xenon
  • Main - HB3 
  • Sidelight - 501
  • Indicator - 581 (white lens) or ..... (orange lens)
  • Fog - H7 (SE) or HB4 (Sport)

Facelift:

• Dipped beam - H7 or D2S xenon
  • Main beam - H7
  • Sidelight/Halos - BA9s or an LED unit. 
  • Indicator - 581
  • Fog - H8 (SE) or HB4 (Sport)

Rear of car:

Pre facelift:

• Indicator - 
  • Sidelights - 207S (2 per tail lamp)
  • Brake - 382
  • Reverse - 382
  • Fog - 382

Facelift: 

• Indicator - 581
  • Sidelights - N/A