Aaron1875

High Emissions light 525 d 56'reg

5 posts in this topic

Hi anyone assist, I have a 525 d 86k mls 56' pre LCI, it's had an impeccable service history, no dpf issues, no warning lights and all check boxes on I drive  indicating no issues. The MOT emissions very clean, however currently have high emissions light on, 

Chronology 

last year the high emissions light came on and the car ran lumpy, however the emissions light was on due to a faulty EGR, My BMW Indy replaced this along with the Air Mass meter, it cured the fault 

less as than a year later the high emissions light re-appeared, the car momentarily ran lumpy. The fault codes threw up EGR controller (I believe this is also known as EGR pressure controller/converter) and it threw up a number of glow plug errors. The Indy replaced the EGR controller or pressure converter and replaced all the glow plugs. The car ran fine for a day or two but then the light came on. The car still runs fine despite the light being on I don't think there no discernible performance loss. I have read other threads in other forums and ppl often associate temp stats can cause issues however interrogating the hidden menu, mine sits at 90-92 degrees and does not fluctuate even on long motorway it sits at operating temp, so there are no stat issues.

The Indy BMW diagnostics only throws up Glowplug controller error, however there is no issue with glow plugs because it starts on the button and all were replaced, also recently in Birmingham, we've had cold early morning spells and it starts on the button ???

I have also read other forum threads that sometimes the 4mm vacuum pipe from inlet manifold to EGR can deteriorate and in one case I read the pipe was not re-attached to EGR, but if this was the case would the car run normally like mine does or would there be power loss and excess smoke ??

i want to know whether glow plug controller can throw up the high emissions light? I don't want to be throwing money at something that may be unrelated. Is this fault just a glitch in the OBD/ECU is this quite common ? 

Please anyone any assistance would be much appreciated 

thanks in advance 

Sorry for belated reply

Yes they have been checked no issues with them,

I just wanted to know if the vacuum pipe between the EGR and inlet would cause the high emissions light ? despite the car running fine, and I want to know whether  deteriorated or disconnected causes rough running (which incidentally isn't the case with mine), then I can safely isolate it to the glowplug controller -(othe fault code is coming up for the glowplug  controller) but want to know what's the correlation with high emissions light and the EML light being constantly on ?

I think it does - I removed my EGR completely and the emissions light came on - the pressure sensor is the only thing that I can see that feeds into the brains. I tried blocking the pipe but still got the error.

less than 5 seconds ago · #5

Thanks for reply,I'm not really a dab hand at technical jobs, the BM Indy replaced the EGR Pressure controller and glowplug (he should have just replaced the glowplug controller and the inlet to EGR vacuum hose whilst the manifold was stripped. The same Indy also replaced the MAF and EGR last year. I just want to be armed with enough info to direct him and let him know I can't be fobbed off, The EGR pressure controller was the recent job he did along with glow plugs and no sooner had completed the job and I drove out of the garage the high emissions and EML came on again (I initially went into the garage bcos this light came on, albeit when I Took the car in there was a discernible Intermittent power loss, which since the replacement of pressure controller and plugs, I'm not currently experiencing.

could it be just something as simple as the vacuum hose being off ? I'll try and get him to re-examine, also in relation to glow plug controller fault code if it was really faulty would the car start on the button as mine currently does, evening cold weather starts ???