sixspeed

Is there likely to be any interest in a manual 540i Touring with nearly 250k miles and a few issues?

22 posts in this topic

My 1998 540i Touring is showing it's age and mileage (nearly 250k) and there are a number of issues that need attention, so I've decided the time has come to retire it from daily duties. I don't have a clue what sort of value it has and whether there would be much interest in a car such as this, so would be grateful for any opinions!

On the plus side it has the manual 6 speed box (same box as the M5), so in it's younger days it was a fairly desirable and rare beast. It passed it's MOT recently so is perfectly road worthy and driveable (I was commuting 40 miles a day in it until recently). But there are several negatives that need taking into account, none would be a showstopper but they all add up and I would consider the car as 'spares/repairs' or as a bit of a project for someone:

From memory the issues are:

1. Engine runs 'OK' but is slightly 'off'. If I had to guess it could be the usual cam cover seals or an intake leak but haven't had it checked.

2. It has an LPG conversion which works mechanically, but last time I used it (probably around 6-12 months ago) there was a strong smell of gas so assumed there was a leak and have left it switched off since then, I've just been running on petrol as normal with no issues.

3. The fuel gauge doesn't work.

4. Offside rear passenger window doesn't work.

5. The usual suspension bushes are worn.

6. Rear SLS works most of the time, but occasionally I get the 'inactive' fault.

7. Rust is appearing around the number plate on the tailgate.

8. Minor damage to front bumper and the tip of the offside wing/bonnet (car park altercation with a Range Rover at 5mph).

9. Scuff on rear bumper.

10. Exhaust gas leak (it has a custom stainless exhaust fitted - I still have the original in the garage) 

So, is this just a tired old gas guzzler ready for the scrap heap or are there people out there that would be keen to keep it on the road? 

20170422_192705.jpg

A lot of that is easily fixable; the LPG is for the buyer to sort; they can have it looked into or removed.

You'll still get some good £££ for it IMO, as others have said!

Stick it on flea bay and then wait for all the normal questions from the Nova brigade like

"Ow much du u wont for it m8."

Or "will you ship to Ireland"

Which is normally followed a few days later with an "item not as described" dispute but only after they have had it just long enough to run in a few drifting events and destroy the clutch!

Some encouragement there, thanks! Yes the wheels really suit the car. Not sure I can go through the pain of Ebay!! Maybe I'll get some decent pics and put an ad on here first..... 

2 hours ago, sixspeed said:

Some encouragement there, thanks! Yes the wheels really suit the car. Not sure I can go through the pain of Ebay!! Maybe I'll get some decent pics and put an ad on here first..... 

eBay isn't too bad when you sell it as a classified. C£15 and it gets some great coverage!

Every car bar my previous E39 and my Integra DC5 I sold via eBay within 3-4 weeks of advertising it

PH is more for sought after cars now IMO, but for £11 (or thereabouts), still gets some good coverage. Gumtree is ok, free, but full of tossers that can't speak non-text talk. Here is good obviously. Autotrader is bloody expensive and the relevant E39 pages on Facebook, IMO, are full of wankers (9/10 of them are illiterate/thick/pikeys etc). There are a few on there that come across well, but all I've found is that I just wanted to chuck them around like ragdolls :lol: 

To be fair, it would probably be of interest to exporters who buy cars here and ship them abroad. The issues you list there will be minor compared to some of the cars exported to mainland europe, africa and other countries. The spacious interior, manual box and relatively straight forward nature of the petrol engine will all appeal to them. Gumtree/eBay tend to be their hang outs so if you can tolerate the stupidness of some users on those sites, it worth sticking it on there. Otherwise I think it's still valuable and should sell if described accurately. I would even consider evans halshaw as I saw an advert recently (can't find it now) that they'll pay £1k more than webuyanycar.com if your buying a new car from them. Might be worth investigation? 

Thanks, pms replied to.

I forgot to add in my earlier post that the AC doesn't work and there's a small coolant leak off a hose at the back. It's where the LPG is tee'd in, the guy who did the conversion has remade the joint for me but it still weeps a bit; it will go a couple of months before needing a top up and doesn't seem to be getting any worse but obviously will need sorting out.

It seems like I'm dwelling on the negatives but just being honest! The car is far from perfect but still has plenty of positives, like the torque and accompanying V8 sound track as you take it up through 3k-4k rpm on a straight bit of road, then shift up a gear and do it all again! I took it out for a quick run this afternoon having not driven it for a couple of weeks and it still manages to make me smile.

Sent you another pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/10/2017 at 11:47 AM, d_a_n1979 said:

eBay isn't too bad when you sell it as a classified. C£15 and it gets some great coverage!

^^^This, it's way cheaper than an auction and tends to weed out the timewasters. 

21 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

What's not to like?

it's a V8 with a proper 'box end of!

And estate car practicality, win, win, win IMO. :)

535i Andrew likes this

On 9/9/2017 at 7:05 PM, Calypso-E34 said:

Nice wheels!

Ah, the famed TKHMs! I saw a set on an E39 yesterday.

Who can remember what TKHM stands for, without resorting to search function?

I have no idea what TKHM means but these wheels were an option on the facelift SE model, replacing style 49 that was an SE option for the pre-facelift.

On 9/11/2017 at 10:03 AM, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

I remember pulling an engine out of a 528i on your drive! Was that 10-12 years ago?!

Really!! We've been here 6 years, did you live here or know the previous owner?

Sheeeeet, that's a small world.

2 hours ago, sixspeed said:

Wrong person! It was a driveway just like that in Hants somewhere and the guy ran a series of E39 Tourings.

^^^That would have been one hell of a co-incidence other wise! Still, stranger things have happened an' all that. :D