Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Furiousgta

Fuelling issue 525D e39

10 posts in this topic

Thanks for reading, will keep it brief as possible...

2003 525D Touring with 123k playing up!

First issue: Occasionally when cranking it doesn't start, common denominator: No fuel getting in (I can hear the fuel priming on ignition, sometimes I cannot and that's when it won't start)

Also... Won't rev freely beyond 3k revs, not an issue normally but has forced me to put the hazards on joining from slip roads as I slowly build speed at 80% throttle (foot to floor appears to starve the car of fuel)

Just spent a whopping £275 for low pressure pump (OEM Bosch part) which hasn't fixed it (gutted) Garage did say it was in a poo poo state though, now saying the next to try is High Pressure pump (or potentially a part of it as reckons he may find just a blown seal on the regulator part!?)

Welcome anybody's thoughts if they've been here before with similar symptoms.

Thank you for your help!!

Furious

The part that's been changed is in tank (under rear seat)

Am I right that there is another pump below the front passenger (under the car) AND the main high pressure pump under the engine bay somewhere? 3 in total ?

Furious

Yes there are three. If the one under the passenger seat is on it's way out, the engine on max demand will want more than pump can give. When I had mine remapped, I had to change the pump. It could just about cope with the standard state of tune but not any higher. Sounds like this is your problem. Very easy to swop.

Furiousgta likes this

Yes there are three. If the one under the passenger seat is on it's way out, the engine on max demand will want more than pump can give. When I had mine remapped, I had to change the pump. It could just about cope with the standard state of tune but not any higher. Sounds like this is your problem. Very easy to swop.

Thanks gents, interesting you mentioned remapped as a couple of mates reckon it's quicker than it should be. Any ideas how I can find out apart from a dyno session?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Furiousgta said:

interesting you mentioned remapped as a couple of mates reckon it's quicker than it should be. Any ideas how I can find out apart from a dyno session?

One way to check if it's remapped is to log the boost pressure with diagnostics. Factory map has max boost pressure demand 2,15 bar. Usually remapped have 2,25-2,3 bar.

Furiousgta likes this

I take it its a commonrail engine?     the older VP37 engine has a lift pump you can get aftermarket for £36 for a MM unit!  sod buying oem.

Furiousgta likes this

One way to check if it's remapped is to log the boost pressure with diagnostics. Factory map has max boost pressure demand 2,15 bar. Usually remapped have 2,25-2,3 bar.

Thanks will get this done!

Furious

I take it its a commonrail engine?     the older VP37 engine has a lift pump you can get aftermarket for £36 for a MM unit!  sod buying oem.

''Tis Commonrail... Can't live with them, can't live without them it seems

Furious