Ali Abbas

F10 520D 2012 manual to automatic conversion

12 posts in this topic

Hi all. New here but created profile just to get an answer to a question which i cant find anywhere!

Might be a long shot but was hoping on some experienced person telling me if i can swap transmission on a manual f10 520d to auto. I understand you can purchase complete auto transmission but would the swap be really complicated? Driving 100s of miles a week and could use the lovley 8 speed auto instead of manual (especially in a diesel).
Appreciate any and all help.

As above, I can't imagine for a minute it would be worthwhile. If you do decide to go ahead it would be a great project for on here, good luck in any case.

Ali Abbas likes this

These cars have a complex electronic ecosystem and the gearbox is a well integrated part of that. The job you are contemplating is a huge undertaking that will need new electronic modules, wiring, the gear shifter with its electronic module and of course a suitable auto gearbox along with its torque converter. Then once fitted there will be the programming needed such that you fool the car into thinking it came from the factory with an auto box. This would possibly need the VIN from the donor car to be programmed into a number of modules along the way if possible at all.

To to be honest with you you will be better off trading the base 520d which I assume is what you have for one with an Auto box from factory. The reason you haven't found anyone with experience of this type of swap is that it is probably a step too far. 

Ali Abbas likes this

Thank you all for your response. Ofcourse the first thought i had was to swap for an auto however i am confident i will not find what i am looking for at a similar price (+-1000). My interior is brown which i really like(difficult to find) and the condition of the car is immaculate plus lowmilage(48k) and full service history. Above all i know how its been driven so i trust everything will last for a while and if changing from manual to auto was a 1-1.5k job then id rather do that than changing cars (not even sure how much ill loose on mine). Judging from your responses it does not seem like its never been done lol.

Ill just have to discuss with people more specific to the field and see what they suggest. Any advice welcome none the less. Cheers

A good box with installation will cost most of the £1000 budget (and thats before your factor in the modules, interior pieces, etc..). You'll be better off buying another low mileage example, swapping your interior over and selling your old one. Get a BMW warranty for the new one and you've achieved your peace of mind goal along with the interior colour for alot less heartache than the swap would cost. You could even swap your car out and buy another and then have the interior trimmed. Good trimmers will have access to BMW hide colours and be able to come up with something near to what you have now. You could even have quilted effect, different piping and any other tweaks as your interior will then be unique. Still cost less than a gearbox swap. 

Lennox likes this

A good service history would become pretty irrelevant after a conversion and the car would be a pig to sell.

The only way this could be done is with a donor car and then by using a coding expert to tie all the disparate part together.

It would probably be cheaper and easier to convert it to full electric

I did this in reverse once many moons ago converted a Triumph 2.5pi from Auto to Manual with OD things were so much easier then.

It will be far easier to go onto BMW AUC website to find a car with the spec you want and low miles.

Given that 70% of F10s on the road are 520ds, you will not struggle to find one in your spec.

Having had the experience of driving a manual 520d, I can fully understand why you want an auto, but listen to what's been said above, it can be done but at a massive cost. An autobox that has low miles and has been driven in a manner that you would accept will cost plenty plus all the modules, coding, trim, labour. It will not make financial sense to pay for a conversion compared to what it would cost you to change the car for an auto.

If it were an E34 yeah probably could be done easily enough, an E39 at a push, but F10. I doubt it.

A good box with installation will cost most of the £1000 budget (and thats before your factor in the modules, interior pieces, etc..). You'll be better off buying another low mileage example, swapping your interior over and selling your old one. Get a BMW warranty for the new one and you've achieved your peace of mind goal along with the interior colour for alot less heartache than the swap would cost. You could even swap your car out and buy another and then have the interior trimmed. Good trimmers will have access to BMW hide colours and be able to come up with something near to what you have now. You could even have quilted effect, different piping and any other tweaks as your interior will then be unique. Still cost less than a gearbox swap. 

I think this is your best option, buy another and swap the trim. You may find your manual will be worth more with the black interior rather than the brown you like.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

Honestly, sell the manual and buy an auto. The expense involved in the conversion is going to be crazy, and then you may find you have issues afterwards as I can't see it being a smooth process. It's a job you may wish you never started.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

535i Andrew likes this

Thank you All for the responses. After discussing with a good few people I have decided it would be best not to proceed with it - the potential drawbacks down the line (given this is successful in the first place) are still too great. If I do miraculously decide to do it I will be sure to post details of how it took place.

If someone does also come across a successful swap - then still do feel free to comment.

Cheers guys