Calypso-E34

E34 BMW 6 Cylinder wanted - or even an E36 - Preferably in Scotland

26 posts in this topic

I am looking to buy a nice, tidy, rust free car to use mainly for local shows.  Ideally I would like an E34 with a 6 cylinder engine in SE guise, with a clean, unworn interior.  There is one for sale in the cars for sale section here, and if it wasn't in Sheffield, I would be buying it, however I don't have enough spare time to get down there.

I don't mind whether the car is a 520i or a 540i, so long as it's solid, mechanically sound and with a decent MOT.  I'm not too bothered about massive spec either, so auto or manual, cloth or leather, fully loaded or poverty spec - anything considered!

If I can't find a decent E34, then I would certainly consider a 6 cylinder E36, again in clean, rust free condition, or even a very early standard E39.

My budget is around £1000.  Maybe a bit more for the right car.

Edited by Calypso-E34

E34 in Scotland?

The climate up here isn't kind to them.......  

I've seen two E34 tourings in Scotland in 18 months.  A red 525 tds that belongs to a neighbours brother and a white 540i in Newport on Tay.

Good luck finding one up here!  

Just put Scotland in Classic Cars for sale and other than a LHD E36 320i coupe for £1150 this was the next cheapest - what until mid-November then bid hard albeit it will still be over budget by quite some way.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C851707

The supposed "unloved" E36's are the saloons and in particular the 323i SE auto which can be had for little money for a good one although these are also on the rise. Set up an Autotrader alert and one on Google.

Take a trip to Sheffield. Buy Andy's and be done.

Hell you went to Gatwick for a metro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandip, Carl-e34 and GStarrr like this

I can't see you getting a better car for the money than Andy's car in the classifieds IMO. You've definitely missed the boat on good, solid 6cyl e34's for £1k. A four door e36 in 320i guise is probably your best bet if you don't mind waiting.

C.

2 hours ago, cableguy said:

I can't see you getting a better car for the money than Andy's car in the classifieds IMO.

I agree - it's a nice car, and just what I'm after.  I just can't get to where it is anytime soon, so no point messing Andy about.

Something always comes up, and E34s are not necessarily selling at their advertised prices.  I have come across a couple of things - not exactly what I'm after, but would be OK.  A nice looking E38 728i individual with no MOT, and an E46 325ti Compact on a 51 plate, which looks clean and cheap, but has been off the road for a bit according to MOT / tax history, so....

Edited by Calypso-E34

7 minutes ago, vanhool said:

Andy's E34 looks a good un, just a shame it is just a 520i, woefully underpowered.

Not for what I need it for!  It should be good for about 150 Bhp, and it sounds nice.  I just want to keep it nice, take it to a few classic car events up here and that's about it!

An E46 compact - have you been to Specsavers recently :wink:

Nice power but the front end is gopping...

Calypso-E34 likes this

18 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Not for what I need it for!  It should be good for about 150 Bhp, and it sounds nice.  I just want to keep it nice, take it to a few classic car events up here and that's about it!

Nice ones are few and far between, so a train ride to Sheffield beckons.

1 hour ago, E39mad said:

An E46 compact - have you been to Specsavers recently :wink:

Nice power but the front end is gopping...

Well, it's off the cards now. I called the dealer to ask for a note of the registration number, which they eventually gave me.  It hasn't been taxed since October last year, and it had always been MOT tested in April, but this time it was done in August, so it was without an MOT April - August.  I queried this with the garage, and asked if it had been in an accident. I was told that they had the car since last year, and hadn't time to put it on the forecourt.  A car sales business.  I smell a very big rat......

E39mad likes this

2 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

I agree - it's a nice car, and just what I'm after.  I just can't get to where it is anytime soon, so no point messing Andy about.

Shipley....

I've PM'd you Mark.

The only reason I didn't break this one is because it wasn't knackered with rust like 98% of them are. Looking at it yesterday on the ramp, the underneath of it really is superb. It's lived in London most of it's life and must have been garaged.

It's by no means perfect - I'd want to get the wheels done (£35 each to powder coat them). It's a basis for gradual improvement but welding the sills back on and chasing rusty scabs around it is not part of that - I hate rusty cars.

Carl-e34 likes this

Shipley....

I'm working on this. I have one quote so far.

I've decided I'm going to go for this car. I'll work out how to get it up here later. Train journey is about 8 hours but I'll see if I can fly to somewhere. If Shipley come through I'll use them.

duncan-uk, Carl-e34, GStarrr and 1 other like this

Ok - Mission accomplished Gentlemen - thank you all for your suggestions!

Fly to Manchester - Sheffield is just over the hills

Fly to Manchester - Sheffield is just over the hills

I'm thinking hire car!!

Carl-e34 likes this

if you are coming up over the Forth Road Bridge on wy back let me know and I will meet you ..I have a brand new bbs alloy and Dunlop tyre for the boot of your new chariot :)

and if if you want original bits I have an OEM BMW Cassette player too

infact it wont be the Forth Road Bridge as its closed now ..it will be the new Queensferry Crossing !

Edited by The Flying Banana

Hey Scott! That sounds like a plan, depending on what sort of time we make! I might take the radio from you - there's a Sony head unit in there now - no idea what it's like, or whether there's a CD changer - I must ask Andy.

I had planned to put a CD43 in there, but holy Jesus - have you seen the price of them?

The other option would be a Pioneer radio CD. They were popular back in the day.

It has a Sony 6 disc changer in the boot. You can hear it whirring away when you select it on the head unit - whether it plays CD's or not............?

Probably does.