e34-535ise

Would you sell your e39 for an e38??

52 posts in this topic

I've got a 750il alongside my E39 & E46, I just love the E38, especially with 12 cylinders. 

My first 7 was a 728, very underrated especially in sport form. 

I would not say no to a 728i, but there is something about a v12... plus the whirr of their starters sounds amazing in itself 

The turbine whirr of the V12 E38 starter is addictive, and the build quality of the E38 even puts the high standards of the E39 in the shade.

I'm not sure about the low-ball values being quoted for E38's as their values have been on a slow rise for about three years now, and now sit above those of their successors. That said, there isn't a better time to buy that maginificently smooth and reliable V12, with a huge amount of toys and, fuel tank aside, no real reason to say No to.

In a few years ICE will be on the wain and even now smaller, massively forced induction engines are the norm and the trend, so having a V12 will be unheard of, but the memories of them will last a long time.

I had an E38 728 and replaced it with an E39 525i sport touring when it died... A lot of them die from rust on the fuel tank, which is what killed mine... costs more than it's worth to fix it - as it had a bunch of other looming issues, too.

I do feel like the 728 had more torque than the 525 touring, and you it's very difficult to beat the ride - even in 2017. It feels so smooth, it's amazing. Truly one of the greats - but a sport E39 feels way more modern.

The silver sport interior still looks 'modern' - the wood dash in the E38s looks really dated now.

Edited by TeddyRuxpin

The E38 I had was only a 728i but I have to say it certainly went far better than I expected it would. The E38 can't be a light car but it covered ground extremely well and didn't feel underpowered at all. 

d_a_n1979 and e34-535ise like this

I would love a high spec late

740i sport

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well....collected the e38 yesterday :) Amazing car! Drove home to Leeds from London and it drove without fault. Was a bit worried it might have the 'dreaded shimmy' like my last e38 had but nothing, no judder/vibration at all and perfect under braking.

Automatic gearbox works perfectly and temperature level sits at 12 o'clock. Only bit of rust I can see is tiny bit on the panel beneath the boot, just like many e39's suffer from.

Has the sat nav, tv, cd changer and radio/tape. The volume wasn't working, removed the amp today and re-soldered the 'dry' joints, now works fine. Key fob didn't work, reprogrammed key and now have remote central locking and alarm.

Few other jobs to do, in particular it needs a 'proper' clean!

Few pics of car taken by previous owner.

IMG_20170912_220410.jpg

IMG_20170912_220615.jpg

IMG_20170912_220546.jpg

IMG_20170912_220654.jpg

IMG_20170912_220459.jpg

IMG_20170912_220738.jpg

IMG_20170912_220812.jpg

boiliebasher, NWJW, BarryM and 4 others like this

On 9/7/2017 at 6:45 PM, e34-535ise said:

Just curious how many of us devoted e39 owners would consider parting with them for an e38...?

I've seen a 2001 728i Sport Individual for sale. Looks fantastic..... wondering whether to sell my 530i for it..

Yes 

e34-535ise likes this

6 hours ago, e34-535ise said:

Forgot to add this pic.....

21762420_10154930353640920_5616765363584935016_o.jpg

Kinda cool but I think Damon Hill actually owns or was linked to at least one BMW dealership.. so I don't think it's a custom key fob for him, but just a dealership fob! 

http://www.dealers-bmw.co.uk/BMW/Warwickshire/Warwick/96

Edited by chicaneuk

22 minutes ago, chicaneuk said:

Kinda cool but I think Damon Hill actually owns or was linked to at least one BMW dealership.. so I don't think it's a custom key fob for him, but just a dealership fob! 

http://www.dealers-bmw.co.uk/BMW/Warwickshire/Warwick/96

Ah right...just looked that up and you're right. Explains why he had a very nice e38, though :)

I loved my e38 728, I only got rid of it because a new job meant I lost my company van and needed a car for the commute and the 7 would have been bonkers thirsty. 

Id have another in a heartbeat 

On 8 September 2017 at 8:22 AM, e34-535ise said:

I agree it is a poor advert. I've spoken to the guy that's selling it. It belonged to his dad for over 10 years but was off the road for a long period. About £4k was spent on it including a new fuel tank, which deteriorated after it had been stood for so long. It's been back on the road for a couple of years and has a full mot.

Originally owned by Damon Hill, whom his dad bought it from. He's sent me a lot more photos and it looks good, no rust that he's aware of. Speaking to him I get the feeling he's just not a 'car' guy which may explain the advert.

Think I'd be looking at more £2k than £3k.

Damon Hill bought and sold hundreds of BMW's via his dealership. I can't really see see him driving a 728i.

1 hour ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Damon Hill bought and sold hundreds of BMW's via his dealership. I can't really see see him driving a 728i.

Just going by what the guy told, no reason to doubt him. Apparently his dad bought the car from Damon Hill and it was his personal car. Plan to write to DVLA to request vehicle history...

Too much of an "old man's machine" for me. As for the Hill heritage, who cares/does it really matter?

I hope your job list includes removing that horrid GB/Euro sticker :)

On 12/09/2017 at 10:26 PM, e34-535ise said:

IMG_20170912_220615.jpg

Edited by adamhearn
Carl-e34 likes this

14 hours ago, adamhearn said:

Too much of an "old man's machine" for me. As for the Hill heritage, who cares/does it really matter?

I hope your job list includes removing that horrid GB/Euro sticker :)

Old man machine! You kidding, looks better than the E39 :)

As for the GB sticker I've found out there is a reason it's there.....

29 minutes ago, e34-535ise said:

Old man machine! You kidding, looks better than the E39 :)

As for the GB sticker I've found out there is a reason it's there.....

I was going to say; 'Nice car but what's under the GB badge......?' 

Not too sinister I hope? 

Edited by NWJW

On 9/13/2017 at 0:38 AM, e34-535ise said:

Forgot to add this pic.....

21762420_10154930353640920_5616765363584935016_o.jpg

The current 540 was the first BMW I'd bought that didn't come with an original dealer keyring attached to the keys so, and daft as it may sound, I felt a bit disappointed every time I picked the key up so I bought this for less than six quid delivered on the 'bay; 

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Picking the key up has a sense of purpose now, it's mad what a little bit of leather can do! :)

Edited by NWJW

3 hours ago, NWJW said:

I was going to say; 'Nice car but what's under the GB badge......?' 

Not too sinister I hope? 

It's not too bad actually, just some paint has come off on the lip. No rust. I've just bought a chrome trim from a breaker that I'll have resprayed to match the colour of the car. This will hide the damage without having to spray the boot :)

StRaNgEdAyS likes this