e39 don

Help, no luck with the trifecta of abs/dsc

23 posts in this topic

I have A 2001 e39 530i with the 5.7 abs system: 

replaced the pump and coded... still got abs/dsc and warning lights on. 

Checked all wheel speed sensors, all working fine. 

Still got lights on...

Trans went into failsfe. Had garage read codes, showed powertain and wheel speed, lost speedo, then it came back. They cleared them, still no luck, no have no codes and all lights .

Checked all live wiring at the module end, all receiving power... 

what havent i done? 

I've also Checked all fuses and relays... 

can anyone suggest what could be the problem? 

Winter and my mot are round The corner and I feel like I've tried everything am I wrong? 

Can anyone help?

ta 

Mash 

Probably your ABS module. Although this problem affects pre facelifts more due to a lack of a heat shield between the module and exhaust manifold. The heat from the exhaust can fry the circuit board/connections within the module causing problems. Do the lights come on immediately from a cold start or after like 5 mins of driving?

Edited by DerekJr.

Also check what the charging voltage is at the battery... Low alternator performance has been known to cause these kinds of failures

Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder

New Bosch s5 battery fitted a few months ago . 

The three lights are permanently on after fitting a new Bosch and pump and had it coded by BMW ...

its a facelift 530 btw. Really stuck here , I've tried almost everything and read almost everything I can find online . Feels like I'm chasing my tail here 

sorry forgot got to say cats got a brand new alternator aswell  

Edited by Ashwalkerldn

Are you saying  that you had a new ABS monitor as well as the pump?

I've had a rebuilt ABS Module from BBA Reman and new Bosch pressure sensor. (not a new return pump) 

Could it be my return Pump?

A freind said it might not be getting power, but i checked all of the live cables to it and earths and they all seemed allright except pin 12 which was drawing very little current. What are the voltages that the live wires to the pump should be??

Thanks

He usually picks up on posts and replies but I suppose you could always pm him.

The abs pump module was replaced and coded .

Part no. 1265950002 and the pressure sensor behind it. 

Codes that have been thrown since were : p1741 ( auto box was rebuilt last year ) 

p0500 (all wheel speed sensors are new) 

the bmw guy said that the pump wasn't getting power, so I replaced fuses , then tested the lines for current and there was 12v on two, and 2-3v on the other. 

He showed me these two photos of the system but I've completely hit a brick wall.... 

IMG_5231.JPG

IMG_5233.JPG

Edited by Ashwalkerldn

Is there anybody else that might be able to help me with this ? 

ReAlly could do with any suggestions on this one 

Edited by Ashwalkerldn

The first was transmission fail safe 

the other was a wheel speed sensor 

the final code I was thrown was return pump not active 

BMW guy said the pump wasn't getting power 

On 9/11/2017 at 3:57 PM, Clavurion said:

What were the interpretations for those codes? Nobody can remember all those p codes. Was one of those for pre-charge pump?

The first was transmission fail safe 

the other was a wheel speed sensor 

the final code I was thrown was return pump not active 

BMW guy said the pump wasn't getting power 

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

ANYBODY?

I think INPA has a function to activate the abs pump (to purge the system of air), maybe you could try that to see which module responds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Jerome said:

I think INPA has a function to activate the abs pump (to purge the system of air), maybe you could try that to see which module responds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No luck with that, as the pump is not responding to the machine. 

any other suggestions from anyone? 

I take it nobody's ever been as unlucky as me with they're abs system.. 

the urgency really is on now as my mot is in 2 weeks . Surely this forum has somebody that knows what to do? No? 

Maybe somebody could tell me which wires in the loom are the live ones and the amount of power they should be drawing to give me an indication as to which one may be ineffective ?????????????????!?????????????????!

Edited by Ashwalkerldn

32 minutes ago, Ashwalkerldn said:

I take it nobody has a clue

useless

I think thats a bit harsh -  the forum is a collection of enthusiasts not BMW trained technicians! Maybe the person with the answer hasn't visited yet.

17 hours ago, Ashwalkerldn said:

I take it nobody has a clue

useless

Who is ? You ?

You're not going to get any help or advice like that.

d_a_n1979 likes this

@Ashwalkerldn

Back off a little bit pal; some folk have tried to help but they may be as stumped as yourself!

It sounds like it's a sod of an issue, but ones that's never reared it's ugly head before. Hence the lack of replies!

Have patience and see what else comes of this; but it could be that no ones able to help as it sounds like an unknown issue, unfortunately! 

18 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

@Ashwalkerldn

Back off a little bit pal; some folk have tried to help but they may be as stumped as yourself!

It sounds like it's a sod of an issue, but ones that's never reared it's ugly head before. Hence the lack of replies!

Have patience and see what else comes of this; but it could be that no ones able to help as it sounds like an unknown issue, unfortunately! 

thanks mate, postitve words

Actually, I had the same problem lights as you are experiencing (plus the ABS would engage at slow speed) after changing all for wheel bearings and it was a nightmare to figure out, but at the end it was fixed and no more warning lights. In the beginning I thought it might be the abs/speedo sensors and as it turned out after all the work, it was apart of the problem as well as one of the new wheel bearings. I soon realised that it would take a long time to figure this problem out without a floor mounted roller tester like they have at shops. The mechanics got a constant reading of a faulty ABS pump module, but in fact it was nothing wrong with it, in fact it was one of the "magnetic sensors" that was some how missalined, to near or to far from the qrown on the wheel bering on one of the rear wheel bearing and one of the front bearing crown had a tiny nick in the crown.

The best part in your bad situation is that you lost the speedo that indicates to me that it can be a ABS/speedo sensor, sins one of the sensors also reads speed for your speedo (can't remember witch one it is). The fact is that when it comes to ABS related problems like yours then most likely you have to visit a good shop with floor mounted test rollers other vice it is a time consuming and frustrating hit and miss to figure it out, sins there are so many things that can couse a faulty reading eaven on the best of equipments as I found out and felt on my wallet. I hope you figure this out and let us amaturs know?

Sendt fra min SM-T800 med Tapatalk