Darkbmwlord

Oh dear - running problems already

13 posts in this topic

Well the honeymoon period was brief...

24 hours after purchase, cruising at 50mph the engine suddenly started shuddering violently, and spluttering upon acceleration. At idle the revs varied between idle and 1100 rpm.

I nursed it home the last 20 miles, and it varied between normal smooth running and spluttering/shudder. It now idles with a definite off best, like a missfire. There is no EML light, and temperature completely normal.

Given we have had 2 days of torrential rain, is there anything that may be getting wet?  Or are there any other suggestions for where to start looking? 

Many thanks.

A code reader would be your best bet... get some codes read and then start diagnosing...

Fuel pump, Mafs and CPS could all be culprits...

It would help you in getting a solution without throwing money at random solutions...

Cam inlet/outlet sensors?

Messed up the running of my engine up they failed.

A lot of the guys on here use INPA - Perhaps ask the question in the General section - I have a Peake Code Reader that is pretty basic but does what i need it for on my car but wasn't cheap...

CPS = Cam Position Sensors

I'm going to assume it's probably a coilpack especially if you're talking about the fact it's rained a lot but the only logical way to find out is get a code reader as has been said and go from there.

alan.roadster likes this

I agree best thing to do is to get the codes read. I would recommend you head over to cable-shack.co.uk. And purchase the software and diagnostic cable from there. I can not recommend it enough.  

Then just install on a windows laptop. Much cheaper and easier then a reader. 

Post the codes when you have them. 

40 minutes ago, oberlointment said:

If your near london I can read the codes for you. 

Thank you for the other, unfortunately I'm in Scotland!

And wouldn't you know - I went out and it started and ran perfectly normally!:angry:

Ive also discovered that some clown has installed bright blue led sidelamp and numberplate bulbs, which are flickering merrily. I'll be getting them changed to conventional ones pronto.:rolleyes:

Over the years I have acquired a range of BMW diagnostic equipment from INPA through DIS to ISTA plus some more generic code readers. The problem with the more esoteric stuff is that I use it so infrequently that it takes me ages to work out how to use it when I need to. I have found one of the simplest code readers for a range of BMWs is the creator C100 which cost me about £35 and lives in my glove box. This gives a quick read out of error codes and I can use the more complicated stuff if I need to delve further into a problem

Seesure, chicaneuk and Darkbmwlord like this

Hmm, well upon receiving my Haynes manual, and looking at its troubleshooting guide, there were 2 points it recommends spraying WD40 on - the maf sensor plug, and where the cable comes out from what looks like a pollen filter housing on the drivers side. Liberal application followed. Results?

Well yesterday was dry, and engine spluttered and grumbled in the morning, with idle all over the place and even stalling a couple of timed.,  but ran better as the day went on. 

Today was torrential rain again, but today the engine was faultless from cold, and ran sweetly at all times. 

Hmm. So is the WD40 working? Applied in the right places? Only time will tell.:blink:

Check the filter housing and see if the filters soaking/coverd in cack (it'll probably be both); change both them as part of the course. They're only c£15 via eBay, get the charcoal charged ones etc

As for the MAF; get specific MAF cleaner spray and clean the MAF sensor too

Check the filter housing and see if the filters soaking/coverd in cack (it'll probably be both); change both them as part of the course. They're only c£15 via eBay, get the charcoal charged ones etc

As for the MAF; get specific MAF cleaner spray and clean the MAF sensor too

And get the codes read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d_a_n1979 likes this