bmpaul

535d trip to the lakes

5 posts in this topic

Just returned home to south London from our trip to the Lake District and what a journey companion 2 adults, a three month old with all his bits, pram, travel cot, our suitcases, car seat all swallowed with ease in the car. 

I thouroghly enjoyed the drive up in this car, it simply does everything so well, plodding along at 75/80 on the cruise, or needing to overtake or climb the steep hills in the Lake District, it just did it with ease. 

There and back with the running around in between visiting places was done on a tank and a half, about 730 miles or so, not sure on the mpg as I wasn't really looking. For committed city folk like us, the views and the place were fantastic and I'd happily do it again. 

We did have one scare up a particularly steep road in a high place with no phone signal up in the clouds, the steering went heavy with the active steering failure bong, then the engine started spluttering, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, transmission warnings all over the place with nowhere to pull over out of the way. Managed to get to a lay by, turned off, not sure if it would even restart and disconnected the battery, with that many warnings something told me that was the first place to look, reconnected and started the car up and all was well again and carried on faultlessly. 

I can only put it down to the fact that I put a new battery in a couple days before and registered it using Carly, my concern then was that I put a 95amp battery in as that was what was in the car previously but the Carly app does not list 95, only 90 then 110 but I thought I will just go with what I can at the time which was the 90 option. 

Other than that the battery is charging fine and holding charge and I'm not getting any discharge messages so I'm putting it down to a hiccup. 

Other than that it was superb and I got out of the car feeling like I had just gone to the local shops and not just driven 5 hours. 

For our first proper road trip in the car I was happier than a pig in poo with it and made me realise I bought the right car! 

Devon next in November hopefully then maybe Scotland next year! 

mike., j2112 and u03mlr like this

We're the battery terminals properly tightened up, as I get the steering warning Everytime I disconnect th battery. Also I get the Christmas tree one time when the battery was super low. Also have you checked the rear spare wheel compartment for water, although that is usually accompanied by water in the battery compartment. Other than that I'm no help. But having just drove 1000kms of a 3000km trip I know how capable and comfortable these cars are on long hauls. Hope it was just a glitch!

bmpaul likes this

No doubt these cars are comfortable cruisers. We did a round trip last weekend out to South Wales and back.  About 10 hours of driving or more plus stops at various scenic locations. No sore back, aching muscles etc.  £85 of petrol I think, no idea of mpg but the "mileage left" indicator suggested a range of 500 miles per tank or more. No dramas, ran perfectly.

Edited by Tuvoc

I regularly drive to Scotland in mine, 800 miles round trip. The car is very comfortable, quiet, refined and economical at speed. It's not a car i get out of feeling tired at the other end because of the drive. I've done the journey in other cars too, and you notice the amount of ambient noise, comfort levels and economy is not as good as the BM. 

The tank range is also good, i can drive there, potter about for a few days and another 150 miles or so, fill up then drive home. 

Everything was tight, but I double checked anyway, I think it was just a glitch, other than that- as you say, these cars are simply superb on a run and I enjoyed the drive up and thought it went rather quickly

u03mlr likes this