Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darkbmwlord

I've never liked BMW'S - but I've just bought one.

5 posts in this topic

Well what a to-do. I've never rather BMW's, just don't buy into the dream. Awful styling, cheap interiors, expensive maintenance. Had 5 Rover 75s in the past, loved the style, luxury and comfort. But good ones are getting expensive now.

I needed an emergency set of wheels, and had almost no funds. Gumtree was full of overpriced trash as usual. In desperation I went to see a 1999 BMW 523 SE manual. (but it's a 2.5 - can't they add in Germany?) Anything wrong with it? Oh yes. 

1. Knocking from front nearside, and worn tyre on same wheel.

2. Rather more wander on the road than I'm sure the manufacturer intended.

3. Remote central locking/alarm inoperative.

4. Occasional shudder through wheel under braking

So why buy it?

1. Apart from momentary rattle when started from cold while oil circulated, the 6 cylinder engine whooshed silkily, (no rattles any other time when started) and inaudible when driving. How did they manage that?

2. It has 10 months MOT

3. It glides along in a pillow of hushed silence

4. Everything works, even cruise control!

5. I was desperate.

6. There is some original metal between the rust.

So there we have it. The cynic who said he'd never touch a BMW has been melted to a squish within 50 miles by a worn out, dog eared example. 

Save me from my doom...

Hairyarse likes this

And you've come from Rovers?

Welcome to the forum, they really aren't all that bad these old BMs!

For an 18 year old car that's not bad & mostly 'small' items. I've seen worse on much younger cars that have apparently been looked after!

On 9/6/2017 at 10:37 AM, Darkbmwlord said:

Awful styling, cheap interiors, expensive maintenance. Had 5 Rover 75s in the past,

Yeah I would describe a Rover 75 as being all of those, but why did you have 5 of them then? :P

My 523i was a great intro into the brand, if only it had been quicker. Went round the bends far better than the Senator did so what it lacked in the poke department it more than made up in the handling dept.

6 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yeah I would describe a Rover 75 as being all of those, but why did you have 5 of them then? :P

My 523i was a great intro into the brand, if only it had been quicker. Went round the bends far better than the Senator did so what it lacked in the poke department it more than made up in the handling dept.

:oWash your mouth out! The Rover 75 is a beautiful car, with an interior of character and warmth. I did tens of thousands of reliable comfortable miles without problems, despite the bad reputation. Or the BMW parts fitted...:D

But credit where it's due, this 523 is very nice. If only it worked properly...

Hairyarse likes this