Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fin

New owner of a rather aged E39 530d Touring

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

As the subject, I recently bought a somewhat elderly 2002 E39 530d Touring with a wonderful 205k miles on the clock!  It's my first Beema, having previously owned mostly Merc-rustywagons, an Alfa 145 Cloverleaf (which I still own at 243k miles) and a fairly ropey Saab 93 rag top. 

After a few weeks with it, I'm sort of wondering why I never went for a BMW before.  It's...  Well, solid.  Nice to drive.  Really nice to drive actually.  It has a couple of very minor dents, parking sensors that work when they feel like it and a badly resprayed bootlid, but it cost sod all and feels really good so far!  1 owner from new, a basic full service history and it seems to have been quite well specced.  Already I've added a removable tow bar and replaced the headlight adjusters.

When I get back from Belgium at the end of next week (yes I have very good breakdown cover!), I'll add a few pics.  I'll also be tackling the somewhat controversial subject of the sealed-for-life tranny by flushing it and replacing the filter and possibly the torque converter solenoid(?)  I have to look into that further, but I have relieved several Benz auto transmissions of nasty sealed-until-it-breaks brown goo in the past with good results.

Fin

Hi Fi, welcome, .. pictures yes ..everyone loves pictures ..205K ..just broken in i would say ..my 530 is wayyyy past that and still flying ..its off to Holland shortly ..reat things on long distance :) 

Captain Beakys on 275k I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Fin. Having a similar vintage model, I can only agree as to how well they drive. I did the transmission job a few thousand miles ago, including the solenoid. Was good before, is good now.  And yes, running on brown slush is not to be recommended. Looking forward to the pictures.  Where is home, btw?

Welcome to the forum Fin - pics when you can!