535i Andrew

ICE's in Scotland

14 posts in this topic

I've just caught the Scottish news and the First Minister has stated that petrol and diesel ICE's will be phased out in Scotland from 2032, eight years ahead of the Westminsters 2040.

This nonsense statement is just someone trying to point score over an establishment that they bitterly hate.

So where pray then Nicola, are we going to get the volts from then? You don't want nuclear and you have shut down the last coal powered power station.

Calypso-E34 likes this

Good grief...

Parts of Scotland are really remote thus not suited to leccie cars. When we built Tweedbank station car park we debated about car charging points but the distance drivers drive in the remote parts of the Scottish Borders makes these cars very un popular.

Tourisim is a big thing in Scotland, that means every hotel and B&B will need to have massive amounts of car charge points outside, to allow customers to charge up.

As you say, political point scoring. The article does refer to new cars so your motor should be good for a few years yet.

I'm not sure what it's like in Scotland but in other parts of the country where proper winters with snow and ice still occur sometimes plenty of people keep an elderly Land Rover or other 4x4 tucked away just in case. I'm not sure there's much choice in the way of leccie 4x4s. A few hybrids but they probably fall into the softroader category.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

they have a fuckton of wind and tidal energy, time to harness it.

59 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Parts of Scotland are really remote thus not suited to leccie cars. When we built Tweedbank station car park we debated about car charging points but the distance drivers drive in the remote parts of the Scottish Borders makes these cars very un popular.

Tourisim is a big thing in Scotland, that means every hotel and B&B will need to have massive amounts of car charge points outside, to allow customers to charge up.

This. Get past Glasgow and Edinburgh and it is a lot of (admittedly glorious) wide open spaces with long distances necessary to cover in unbroken journeys. Add to that the Scottish weather which can double journey times in winter and you have completely inappropriate vehicles planned for the country.

535i Andrew likes this

10 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

This nonsense statement is just someone trying to point score over an establishment that they bitterly hate.

Yep.  I enjoyed the Summer, when this bitter, manipulative, lying cow was relatively quiet.

Seesure and 535i Andrew like this

8 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Yep.  I enjoyed the Summer, when this bitter, manipulative, lying cow was relatively quiet.

I can't abide her attitude and philosophy ....

She's even said publicly that she had a dream when she was 15 of an independent Scotland.... She will keep on with the same old rhetoric...

Sadly the UK media give her an unjust amount of cover especially on main news bulletin shows.... considering Scotland only has 8-9% of the UK population she gets a hell of a lot more than that when it comes to UK politics...

Conversely I feel it's at the cost of the Welsh and NI devolved governments who seem to get little to no coverage...

I do wish the BBC and others would be awake to the biased and PC type of reporting they force down people throats... 

I've slowly come to the conclusion that the Beeb think we are the 51st state of the US led by Jimmy Krankie... 

Edited by Seesure

What she meant was that there will be a new range of gas powered cars. The Scottish parliament will supply enough gas for all :)

She needs to be stopped with this nonsense.  Its got hee haw to do with saving Johnny Polar Bear, but getting one up on El President May who said 2040.

All that will happen will be a massive car dealer network set up in Carlisle from November 2031!

There you have it. None of them will be around then so they can promise anything to sound good. I don't believe Traditional internal combustion engines have a great future, but they'll see me out!

I'm pretty sure that Toyota sought clarification from the UK govt when they made there own announcement re ending ICE. It wasn't reported very widely as the media enjoy whipping up hysteria but the govt response was that only pure ICE cars will be banned. Petrol and diesel hybrids(Prius/330e/C350e/LaFerrari etc) will not be banned. Puts a slightly different complexion on things.  

I think the development of these type of cars will be the focus for most manufacturers over the next 10 years as well as pure electric. 

Edited to add:

I see jaguar Land Rover have today announced that from 2020 every car they sell will have an element of hybrid. 

Edited by 528i-FAN