stchris356

Performance air filter

23 minutes ago, IINexusII said:

As above, upgrading to a 530d is the only way to get more performance other than a remap :)

Or a 535i or 535d or a 550i.....just saying :D

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:47 PM, 535i Andrew said:

Well there is a massive market for them and they do give more of an induction noise. I toyed with the idea of a K&N filter on my last E60 so it sounded a bit beefier, as being German it lacked a certain burble normally associated with V8s. 

But as they are very much engine bay mounted almost directly onto the MAF, they suffer from hot air as the manufacturers air box and ducting has all been removed to get it in. Thus I think any gain in cancelled out due to not getting cold air.

I'm not in general favour of bolting on go faster bits, I would rather have a bigger engine/output to start with.

It's drop-in filter versus stock air intake replacement - in favour of the Typhoon kit etc.

I have experimented with many set-ups (including DIY cowl induction), and found a standard air box with a drop-in Piper-X or K&N panel filter was best: more induction noise; better pick up.

...but are these...PLACEBO GAINS?!?!?!?!?!!:o:o

19 hours ago, stchris356 said:

I'm under no illusion that it makes notable performance gains, but having a remap certainly does and to me it makes sense to do the two together.

Meh.  I remapped my wee tiny 118d without a new filter.  I got 180bhp and doubt the filter would have made any difference.  Who knows?  Myth Busters and Mighty Car Mods have, I think, suggested that filters on 4-pot cars or NA cars aren't worth the hassle.

Now RAM AIR COWL INDUCTION: that's the future.

8 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Nah mate, nitrous is what you want. :D

Or a dirty great big supercharger!

But...but...I'm a respectable man-about-town.  I have a positive, bourgeois image to protect.

I really seriously considered an SC kit on my 1996 MX5: it was sooo close.

But then someone said things such as 'engine re-build' and 'engine failure', so I bottled it.

Minus 300 Man Points...

Oem filter is folded paper plus a foam pad and is only changed at 50k! That implies some serious cleaning/suction required ? You'd wonder if there wasnt a little spool time increase as a result. 

On the flipside MAF contamination is a concern from an oiled filter BUT given the shit that comes back into the manifold via an EGR valve i dont believe a bit more dust getting through would be too much of an issue...?

I'm keen to try a k&n, my old a4 tdi ran to 160k miles on one and was super healthy-just sprayed the maf with electrical cleaner once in a while. Is the potential cost of maf damage worth a minute reduction in lag, probably not for me! 

7 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Oem filter is folded paper plus a foam pad and is only changed at 50k!

Its something like every second or third oil change isn't? Which puts the mileage if change high to these sorts of silly figures.  Mine got its first engine air filter at 3.75 years old and 37,000 miles when I got it serviced last year. That was its second oil change according to the history. I used to change my E60 air filter regularly and give it a hoover when I was hoovering the rest of the car. All helps keep it healthy.

Bit more involved on the F10 I need a torx screwdriver to get the air filter box appart, no simple hand clips on this engine.

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

I'm on to my 3rd air filter and have done 52000 miles on my 530d. 

Which is good for the engine, was that done as part of a normal service schedule or by you requesting it from the dealer or by you diy?

I want to do an interim oil change on mine, perhaps I'll get the dealer to do it next month when it's in for a brake fluid change.

On 11/17/2017 at 10:14 AM, 535i Andrew said:

Which is good for the engine, was that done as part of a normal service schedule or by you requesting it from the dealer or by you diy?

I want to do an interim oil change on mine, perhaps I'll get the dealer to do it next month when it's in for a brake fluid change.

All scheduled servicing at BMW.