Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gibbo1998

Which e28 to buy

16 posts in this topic

Here's the thing, my e39 is definitely the best car I've ever had but I want the excitement of the e30 I once owned and the entertainment of something like a M20 engine which I experienced recently.

My question is, which model of e28 should I go for?  Must be manual and a car I can upgrade sensibly to have maximum fun in.

An M5 and M535i are too expensive for me right now. Is a 528i the best next option?  Can a 525e be tuned up to be just as good? Am I wrong to think a 520i will feel too slow?

Looking for some ideas! 

One that isn't rusty. End of. The rest you can sort.

If I was to do it again I'd find a tidy manual 520i and look at a m50/52/s50 conversion.

No point in tuning the standard engines really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hippie dave and gary francis like this

I'm not saying a 528 won't be fun but these days shell condition must come first. Engine second. Good stock is on the wane sadly.

I hear you. Condition is the priority. A 528i would be ideal but model spec can be adjusted. Thanks for the input. 

I've been reading up that a 520 to 525 swap is pretty painless. I assume that costs pretty much the same as an auto to manual swap but correct me if I'm wrong.

The 525i with the m30 as standard is supposed to be quite sweet.

The m30s are the peaches. The 525e is a brilliantly lazy cruiser. The 520 gives you options.

All e28s are good

Ordnator likes this

The 525i with the m30 as standard is supposed to be quite sweet.

The m30s are the peaches. The 525e is a brilliantly lazy cruiser. The 520 gives you options.

All e28s are good

528i-FAN likes this

Maybe I'm biased but I love my 'e' for occasional weekend cruising. However, if I do feel a bit 'naughty', I can always flick the switch on my transmission into sport mode and there's enough grunt there to have a little fun. But being auto, it's difficult to fully exploit it's potential.

Saying that,  I've always had a curiosity for what the e30 boys have been doing for ages with these 'super eta' engines...... 525e bottom half with 325I head and electronics etc. Apparently,  it's a relatively simple upgrade and conversion to do,....all M20 bits,  they achieve decent horsepower and are a blast to drive. And....upgrade possibilities with injection and turbo/super charging etc.

If I had the money, I would probably attempt an E28 'super eta ' with a manual box and uprated suspension just for the fun of it, to see what it would be like. If anybody looked in the engine bay, they would be none the wiser so a cool 'sleeper', maybe.

To besides, I haven't come across anybody that's done an E28 'super eta'  yet so would be something a bit different, I suppose. 

Anybody want to come in on that and 'shoot me down'?........smile?

The G-Man. 

Edited by The G-Man

There have been a few e to I e28 conversions. A couple on here at least.

I get the point in terms of more power from the engine you have but I think it's a bit passé and there are better ways to get more power.

I've always thought the point of the e is the way it goes about its business.

On 7 September 2017 at 11:58 AM, The G-Man said:

Saying that,  I've always had a curiosity for what the e30 boys have been doing for ages with these 'super eta' engines...... 525e bottom half with 325I head and electronics etc.

It's a good way to ruin a 525e. By swapping heads etc you're basically converting bit into a 528i and losing all the torque. The best mod to make is to convert it to manual - the eta engine is wasted behind a 4HP22.

Best engine for an E28 is an M54 3.0 and six speed manual. You can buy one for 1000 quid these days in a damaged E39 or E46, and still get half of that back selling off the remains. 231 bhp and 30+ mpg.

gary francis and duncan-uk like this

49 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Best engine for an E28 is an M54 3.0 and six speed manual. You can buy one for 1000 quid these days in a damaged E39 or E46, and still get half of that back selling off the remains. 231 bhp and 30+ mpg.

Is there a decent, off-the-shelf FBW conversion kit around now?

Dan Harborow does the conversions - he wires the whole E46/E39 engine into the car, retaining the M54 management and FBW throttle as well as traction control. No point in having modern tech and throwing it away! In other words, adapting the car to the engine, not vice versa.

https://www.facebook.com/bmconversionsuk/?hc_ref=ARS-BoSwKOCsdG_NkiTVMQ6eVQFuR4_D7doF_us-EpJ-BIkVEEKwAqkmZZ23W-ITQQg&fref=nf

Edited by Sir Anthony Regents-Park
Sandip likes this