rnhobbs

535d Major blue smoke after boosting

11 posts in this topic

Guys, I need some help and / or advice please.

The car:

2006 pre-LCI 535d that I recently bought from the Sinclair Group as a p/x. It has de-cat, EGR delete (software and valve), DPF delete (software and brick), Pipercross panel air filter, exhaust valve deleted and an awesome re-map (maybe more things as well). My last 535d had all the same mods but this one is much quicker. Sensible miles at 127k.

The problem:

Major blue-smoke from exhaust starting about 3 or 4 seconds after coming off the throttle / boost. But only when the engine is right up to temperature. It starts like a switch (no gradual build-up) and then will not stop happening once started.  

Strange because:

No smoke on start-up. No smoke when revving stationary. No smoke when boosting. No smoke whilst on the throttle. No smoke until about 25 – 30 minutes from cold start-up. No smoke irrespective of how hard I drive it for the first 25 minutes, even when really nailing it. The EGR thermostat does need changing as the temperature dial on the tacho takes 25-30 minutes to swing all the way round. It would appear to only happen when the intake manifold is at maximum vacuum. I might be imagining things but the exhaust note changes too - more of a drone noise. 

What I’ve done:

·         Changed the small turbo (brand new) – no difference.

·         Changed the oil for some 10-40w – no difference.

·         Changed the vortex breather (brand new) – no difference.

·         Tried a standard air filter (brand new) – no difference.

·         Reinstated the exhaust valve – no difference.

·         Removed the EGR thermostat core to keep engine temperature down – no difference.

Any ideas where to look next? I don’t want to invest in a large turbo if there is something simple I’m missing.

Thanks guys.

Richard.

Have the software checked at might be someone has not coded something out properly 

Get it up to temperature, leave it smoking and if you have access to diagnostics, do a DPF counter reset. Tell the car it has a new DPF in. This will stop the smoke for a short amount of time if it is a DPF regen because all of the counters will go back to 0. It's difficult to balls up a DPF delete on the EDC16 ECUs BMW use, but not out of the realms of possibility. The fact you're saying the tone of the exhaust changes sounds like a regen occurring but it MAY be something else. That's quick and easy to try though.

Thanks guys, 

I have a nifty little Autel All-systems diagnostic bit of kit (highly recommended if you've never seen them).

Sadly, I've tried that too, put the DPF back to 100% capacity on the counter reset, my tool counts the resets and that was it's 3rd one. No difference. 

I expect that the DPF was coded out correctly as there are no DPF error codes in the system, or indeed any other error codes. The complete dpf box has been removed and replaced with twin-pipes.

I'm thinking it might be rings but surely not on a BMW diesel with just 127k? 

Is the big turbo easy to change from undrneath? It looks like a nightmare from the top. 

Richard.

have the swirls been deleted? if not has the connector rod which moves them become detached somewhere? with possibility one or two are going closed?

Scratching my head a bit on this one? First advice is get to a well reputed remapper to confirm dpf has been coded out properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sinclair group South Wales???

Yep, Sinclair Group South Wales.

Swirl flaps are blanked, one of the first things I checked. 

I'm really scratching my head too. So annoying as it's a really nice motor otherwise.

Living in Pembrokeshire means that any mappers - well reputed or not are miles away! I don't want to drive it as I don't want it to end up running on it's own oil and going bang. 

Richard. 

13 hours ago, rnhobbs said:

Thanks guys, 

I have a nifty little Autel All-systems diagnostic bit of kit (highly recommended if you've never seen them).

Sadly, I've tried that too, put the DPF back to 100% capacity on the counter reset, my tool counts the resets and that was it's 3rd one. No difference. 

I expect that the DPF was coded out correctly as there are no DPF error codes in the system, or indeed any other error codes. The complete dpf box has been removed and replaced with twin-pipes.

I'm thinking it might be rings but surely not on a BMW diesel with just 127k? 

Is the big turbo easy to change from undrneath? It looks like a nightmare from the top. 

Richard.

Big turbo can only come out from bottom, no room from top. You will need remove the exhaust, easier to drop the whole exhaust as one piece - It's heavy (40Kg) and will need someone to help you. Once you removed the metal protection plate from under the car, you will need remove 2 bolts (#2) which hold the turbo to exhaust manifold. These are accessed from below through bracket using a long extension and there also 2 bolts above which hold the turbo to the exhaust manifold (#3).

N85EWbQDXVJ5FLNG2Hniw

The small turbo has to be removed because it would be very difficult to get the connecting pipe (#11) to mate with the small turbo attached to the manifold.

11_3790.jpg11_3794.jpg

Thanks for that, It's as I thought, quite awkward changing the turbo outside on the drive but I don't have many other options. The small turbo core was only £146 brand new so worth a try. 

That's why I thought I'd see if I was missing something easy first. There seems to be a split opinion whether blue smoke after boosting is rings or compressor side of turbo seals. 

I think I'm going to try venting the breather to atmosphere first and see if it continues. 

I removed internals completely from my breather on advice of a senior tech at Sytner haverfordwest. Live in Pembs aswell.

Go see Pembs remapping, his files are from DNA tuning and they will confirm dpf delete has been done properly atleast.