stevecvo

Installing Xtrons head unit into 525d

Following research after an earlier posting I took the plunge and ordered an Xtrons unit which is supposed to fit the E39 series. My car is fitted with a standard one piece BMW business radio incorporating a tape deck and getting this out was simple but the ISO connector which goes into the back of the unit does not mate with the connectors supplied by Xtrons. I attach photos of my ISO and the Xtrons leads. I have queried the matter with the  Ebay supplier but have received a fairly lame reply referring to a totally different radio. 

Before I send the unit back as unsuitable for the described purpose I thought I would check whether anyone else has encountered this problem and managed to resolve it. 

Also as a word of advice to others I did not realise how much dismantling is necessary to remove the frame which holds the standard radio!!

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

I never had these problems with my erisen and xtrons pure android based units, both resellers sold individual leads (although I did have to add an illumination pin to the erisen lead)

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

I'd say either send it back and spend a bit more and go full android like mine:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232216440369

Or...

I can send you my old erisen lead (that I have already added the illumination pin to) and you can carefully cut and shut the two leads together to get your current unit to connect to E39.

I'd be worried that the "CAN decoder" box will be wrong too, given they already sent you a lead that didn't fit.

Obviously once you go cut and shut with the leads, it will be tricky to send the unit back!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, stevecvo said:

Following research after an earlier posting I took the plunge and ordered an Xtrons unit which is supposed to fit the E39 series. My car is fitted with a standard one piece BMW business radio incorporating a tape deck and getting this out was simple but the ISO connector which goes into the back of the unit does not mate with the connectors supplied by Xtrons. I attach photos of my ISO and the Xtrons leads. I have queried the matter with the  Ebay supplier but have received a fairly lame reply referring to a totally different radio. 

Before I send the unit back as unsuitable for the described purpose I thought I would check whether anyone else has encountered this problem and managed to resolve it. 

Also as a word of advice to others I did not realise how much dismantling is necessary to remove the frame which holds the standard radio!!

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

This is why I went for single DIN in the end, much easier to fit and very much plug n play... No need to remove half the dash to get the cage out either ;)

However, looking at your plug (which is exactly the same as mine); the cables provided should fit fine, just plug the OEM connection into the flat pin connector provided and then into your new head unit and it should all work (assuming you've not tried this already)

Plug it in and see what happens :) 

I'm with @d_a_n1979 the adapter cable supplied looks just fine. The connector in your car is the later style 40 pin flat (BMW not ISO) variant which simply needs to be connected to the larger of the two adapters in your photo (the one marked E46). Then the other end will attach to the new headunit. The connector with the round pins may be ignored/tucked away with some tape/foam to prevent rattles.

Thanks d-a-n1979  you are correct. The flat pin connector does fit. I was put off by the E46 label on it and the fact that I could not see how the pins lined up plus the also that my iso plug has a couple of wires which do not line up with the flat pins. I will have a go over the weekend and post up how I get on.

Thanks also to ad touring for the generous offer of your spare lead. I must confess though while I will tackle anything mechanical I am wary of splicing into wring looms. I was however interested in your views on the full android unit you have installed. It looks good value for the extra cash but if all I basically want apart  from the radio is GPS and the ability to link my Iphone would I really be likely to use the additional features much? What do you feel that you get from the unit?

I made all the connections today to test the unit. Everything worked nicely - radio, CD player, GPS, bluetooth phone connection and even the steering wheel buttons. I have yet to test the USB connections but foresee no problems there. I am used to Windows and IoS so getting back into the settings of Android was unfamiliar territory but I got there. Overall I am very impressed with the unit and am now relaxing before undertaking the dash strip down to  remove the original radio cradle and route wires to the top of the windscreen for the GPS sensor and the external microphone - not a task I am looking forward to.

29 minutes ago, stevecvo said:

I made all the connections today to test the unit. Everything worked nicely - radio, CD player, GPS, bluetooth phone connection and even the steering wheel buttons. I have yet to test the USB connections but foresee no problems there. I am used to Windows and IoS so getting back into the settings of Android was unfamiliar territory but I got there. Overall I am very impressed with the unit and am now relaxing before undertaking the dash strip down to  remove the original radio cradle and route wires to the top of the windscreen for the GPS sensor and the external microphone - not a task I am looking forward to.

It's easier than it looks, just take your time :)

My Bluetooth/hands-free mic is right behind the rear view mirror (pics can be seen in my Projects thread), the cables are more than long enough for that

I've no GPS as I use CoPilot on my S8+ for sat-nav etc, or Google Maps (which is just as good IMO)!

I know you're able to install apps to the Android head units via Wifi, I'd highly recommend using Nova Launcher as the main launcher, it's so smooth and glitch free compared to a lot of others and makes using Android bliss-like 8) 

I spent a few hours on my birthday yesterday fitting this unit. As d-a-n1979 says it was not too difficult but I would not like to have tried it without the benefit of the guide in the Bentley manual as some of the retaining screws are well hidden.IMG_0530.thumb.JPG.000628aeb22c5e7717af2e5323ae276e.JPG The unit fits nicely . The usb leads are loose because I have not decided where to put them.IMG_0532.thumb.JPG.4e3485cccf27a96f157b2cb5d51e57e4.JPGI have found only two problems. Firstly I can't seem to get the date and time screens to make any change to the date or time which appear. The date is correct but the time is several hours ahead presumably relating to the time zone where the kit came from. Pressing the up and down arrows produces a beep but no action although it is possible to change from 12 to 24 hour setting.IMG_0534.thumb.JPG.8bf204362f8e21ec5e452e9cbfbcefb4.JPGand I can't figure out how I am supposed to fix the unit in place using the brackets provided. Any ideas gratefully received.IMG_0536.thumb.JPG.350bd0032c3efad10d8e2051d1ffcb17.JPG

Finally found the answer to the time setting problem. The time is synced to the GPS and you have to pick a satellite setting to suit. Oddly enough although we are on GMT here in Portugal I could only get an accurate time setting by opting for GMT+1. Weird these Chinese!

Hey.

I bought the same unit. Xtrons for my e39.

I plugged everything in but there isn't any sound coming out of the speakers.

I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions. 

5 hours ago, bb2005 said:

Hey.

I bought the same unit. Xtrons for my e39.

I plugged everything in but there isn't any sound coming out of the speakers.

I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions. 

@bb2005

Pop this into the Audio section further down the homepage pal; you'll get better coverage as you're piggybacking on someones thread here

And whilst you're at it, take some pics of the wiring and connections, that will help

Do these Xtrons units require any modifications to be done in order to get them to fit. Is it simply a case of removing the frame and fitting the new unit?

cheers

4 hours ago, trenchy24 said:

Do these Xtrons units require any modifications to be done in order to get them to fit. Is it simply a case of removing the frame and fitting the new unit?

cheers

Just that!