The Situation

Steering vibrates when breaking

26 posts in this topic

I previously used to have a minor steering wheel vibration at speeds above 60mph which were negligible after changing from run-flats to normal some years ago.

Replaced my discs and pads couple of months ago and was the same so not bothering me much.

But after having changed tyres again very recently the steering wheel vibrations have becomes worse when breaking from 70mph.

Also there is minor play in the steering when breaking also.

Can anyone shed any light as to possible avenues for me to look into?

The easiest that you can do for start is check the balancing on your wheels.

Do you feel anything through your brake pedal when you apply light pressure? 

2 hours ago, Paris 530d said:

The easiest that you can do for start is check the balancing on your wheels.

Do you feel anything through your brake pedal when you apply light pressure? 

No - I do not feel anything through the pedal tbh, just through the steering wheel.

I was hoping something as simple as tracking, but I know that might be wishful thinking!

common fault - lower control arm bushing perished - even if you can't find any movement using a pry bar, I can pretty much guarantee you that once removed you'll find the hydro bearings shot to pieces

3 hours ago, Dotcom1970 said:

common fault - lower control arm bushing perished - even if you can't find any movement using a pry bar, I can pretty much guarantee you that once removed you'll find the hydro bearings shot to pieces

How much we roughly looking at?

5 minutes ago, The Situation said:

How much we roughly looking at?

Personally, I'd stick with Lemforder as these are OE fitment.

LEMFÖRDER    27138 02
LEMFÖRDER    27139 02

ECP has them at £145 each, but hunt around for a discount coupon to bring the price down.  Ebay.de has a left/right for £85 each inc shipping. 

On 02/09/2017 at 11:28 AM, Dotcom1970 said:

Personally, I'd stick with Lemforder as these are OE fitment.

LEMFÖRDER    27138 02
LEMFÖRDER    27139 02

ECP has them at £145 each, but hunt around for a discount coupon to bring the price down.  Ebay.de has a left/right for £85 each inc shipping. 

I will look into this however - what do you think of the fact that prior to having the two front tyres replaced, the shaking/vibration was very negligible and not that noticeable, it's become very apparent after the new tyres.

Im hoping for more cheaper answers like maybe they didn't balance the wheels properly and hoping to go back to them.

BMW shimmy under braking = worn control and or traction arms.  Classic annoyance.

What @Dotcom1970 said.

Dead easy to check, jack up each front wheel and try and rock it and if the balljoint is worn the whole wheel will move in a direction it isn't intended to move in.

Here is how I swapped out my E60 control arms. minus photobucket pics though.....

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=49193&title=e60-545i-diy-suspension-component-replacement

Second time I dropped the strut out to do the arms.

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=50152&pn=1

Dotcom1970 likes this

2 hours ago, The Situation said:

I will look into this however - what do you think of the fact that prior to having the two front tyres replaced, the shaking/vibration was very negligible and not that noticeable, it's become very apparent after the new tyres.

Im hoping for more cheaper answers like maybe they didn't balance the wheels properly and hoping to go back to them.

New tyres = more grip = more lateral forces on the suspension components

Mine did the same thing. Turned out to be warped disc. Everithing vas ok when braking from 80-90 km/h but when i step on a brake from say 120 km/h steering wheel vibrated like hammer drill.

Most interesting - unfortunately I'm experiencing exactly the same as the OP - also after changing the tyres !! Got to be one from the

following ...in no particular order of likelihood I suppose. 

1. Dodgy tyres / balancing

2. Warped discs.

3. Control arms / suspension. 

It's doing my head in as all seemed well before the tyre change and a 4 wheel alignment two weeks after the tyre change. I can't be sure if it occurred before the alignment though it was defiantly noticeable after they alignment. I hadn't thought about the control arms but reading the above posts, I'm thinking the combination of the new tyres and the new alignment may now be showing up the worn arms even more ? 

Wierdly though the vibrarion has been variable - I mean it seems to have almost gone away in the last couple of days. This makes me think it's perhaps less likely to be due to the discs and or just the tyres. Is the temperature or weather making a difference !! Whatever it is, I need it gone for sure. 

It's not possible to do proper wheel alignment if any front ball joint is worn out. If you try you will probably have worse condition than before. All ball joints should be checked and replaced if required before you touch anything about tracking/wheel alignment.

^Agree although any mechanic who knows what they are doing will check all suspension components before attempting a wheel alignment.

Will try this as I also have a slight vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is interesting, I have started to notice the same slight vibration when braking at motorway speeds. I'll need to have a look and see if I can find any movement. 

Mark

It will be obvious if serious, I could make my front wheel move in a way it shouldn't! Jack it up and grasp each front not wheel and try and move it. If that doesn't throw anything up, take the wheel off and lever all joints with a bar or big screwdriver to see if anything moves too easily.

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

It will be obvious if serious, I could make my front wheel move in a way it shouldn't! Jack it up and grasp each front not wheel and try and move it. If that doesn't throw anything up, take the wheel off and lever all joints with a bar or big screwdriver to see if anything moves too easily.

I tried the pry bar technique on my E39, but it showed no movement, but when we removed the thrust arm, we could see the hydro bearing had disintegrated.

I've also been reading up on monoball bearings for the E6x - pretty expensive given they are made in the US, but seems to be a lifetime fix. £270 shipped but there might be import taxes to pay on this as well.

https://www.germanautosolutions.com/bmw_solutions/suspension/e60/monoballs/e60_monoballs.php

Edited by Dotcom1970

1 hour ago, Dotcom1970 said:

I've also been reading up on monoball bearings for the E6x - pretty expensive given they are made in the US, but seems to be a lifetime fix. £270 shipped but there might be import taxes to pay on this as well.

https://www.germanautosolutions.com/bmw_solutions/suspension/e60/monoballs/e60_monoballs.php

The thing is that the balljoints at the other end of the arm will fail far sooner than these bushes.  The balljoints cannot be replaced on their own necessitating a complete new arm with that bush at the other end.

Dotcom1970 likes this

Just now, 535i Andrew said:

The thing is that the balljoints at the other end of the arm will fail far sooner than these bushes.  The balljoints cannot be replaced on their own necessitating a complete new arm with that bush at the other end.

True, but those ball joints don't suffer from the same torsional forces, so in theory should last.

I had this on my car and took it to ATS and had my wheels balanced, the were out bad on the fronts but even more shocking so on the rears, seems the place I had new tyres fitted (tyre bought  online fitting only) had balances none calibrated for goodness knows when. Thats where to start first

35 minutes ago, Dannydub said:

I've just replaced my lower arm and control arm and now I get steering wobble which i didn't get before I changed them!

Depending on how that was done, the disc may have been removed and not put back on square to the hub face.  This may be causing a wobble.

When end I did my lower arms I took the disc off, first time was to do the wheel bearing, can't recall exactly why I took it off the second time as I can't think of you need to or not.

Or when the wheel was taken off it caught a balance weight on the disc or splasher shield and knocked it off.

Or something hasn't been tightened up properly.

2 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Depending on how that was done, the disc may have been removed and not put back on square to the hub face.  This may be causing a wobble.

When end I did my lower arms I took the disc off, first time was to do the wheel bearing, can't recall exactly why I took it off the second time as I can't think of you need to or not.

Or when the wheel was taken off it caught a balance weight on the disc or splasher shield and knocked it off.

Or something hasn't been tightened up properly.

The disc wasn't taken off to replace either arm so it can't be that.

I'll have to get my wheels balanced to make sure it isn't that and get under the car with a spanner to check all the bolts are tight.