Grizzle_E60

M5 Brakes whats need?

22 posts in this topic

So the standard brakes are awful and before i plan a hike in power i'm thinking M5 brakes.

Whats needed??

Caliper? Carrier? Disc and pads? do i need to change the hubs? 

Thanks in advance

Bigger wheels for a start! You may need M5 rims to clear the calipers I think, 19" spiders might clear diameter, but offset might be different for caliper width.

Or you could upgrade to the 535d/545i size of brakes. Gives you a bigger diameter disc but uses same size of pads as 525i upwards.

I had no issues with braking performance on my E60. Genuine discs, Textar pads and regular fluid changes, plenty of stopping power. Just saying....

Dotcom1970 likes this

As far as I know, the M5 setup will fit on the front, but not the back without changing the wheel hubs. I'm doing the same as you - going to M5 ones but I'm just going to do the front for now. Calipers, carriers discs and pads will be required. Hoses from what I remember reading will still fit but don't quote me on that.

One thing I would add, is although you can get rebuilt calipers for under £100 per side, the price of the carriers will make you laugh. It would be cheaper to buy a caliper and carrier set with pads from eBay, than it would to buy new carriers for BMW to go with rebuilt calipers. I think it was about £220 per side just for carriers. Buy your discs whilst they're on offer at Euro Car Parts too. I bought mine and with the offer they had on, it meant I effectively got one disc for free.

Even with the Mtec discs and EBC red stuff pads on mine, I've had them smoking and starting to fade after a 'hard' drive. The E60 is a heavy car - no getting around that.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

Cheers mate i would just get used from ebay or that and rebuild them and have them painted.

12 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Bigger wheels for a start! You may need M5 rims to clear the calipers I think, 19" spiders might clear diameter, but offset might be different for caliper width.

Or you could upgrade to the 535d/545i size of brakes. Gives you a bigger diameter disc but uses same size of pads as 525i upwards.

I had no issues with braking performance on my E60. Genuine discs, Textar pads and regular fluid changes, plenty of stopping power. Just saying....

So 535d/545i have bigger brakes from 530d? 

i will need to change discs and pads all around and i was thinking to do a small upgrade.

1 minute ago, Paris 530d said:

i will need to change discs and pads all around and i was thinking to do a small upgrade.

535D are 348mm if that helps in your research. Looks from a quick search that 530D are 324mm unless they have S102A option which might be an upgrade for Police use or something.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E60/Europe/530d-M57N/R-N/apr2004/browse/brakes/front_brake_brake_disc/#6763824_1

5 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

535D are 348mm if that helps in your research. Looks from a quick search that 530D are 324mm unless they have S102A option which might be an upgrade for Police use or something.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E60/Europe/530d-M57N/R-N/apr2004/browse/brakes/front_brake_brake_disc/#6763824_1

So police cars had the 535d size on their cars. 

Obviously except discs and pads what else i need to change in order to fit 535d brakes? do i need caliper or just the carriers? 

10 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I would imagine you'd need the carriers too to move the caliper out further to allow for the bigger disc.

according bmwfans.info 535d and 530d is not just the carriers as the calipers have different part number as well :(

2 minutes ago, Paris 530d said:

according bmwfans.info 535d and 530d is not just the carriers as the calipers have different part number as well :(

Sorry I meant to put calipers in my post above. I think the pads are bigger too so yes you would need the bigger calipers to accommodate. How soon are you looking to get it done? My old setup will be coming off the car soon in order to go to the M5 brakes. Mtec C hook discs and EBC red stuff pads. Brand new calipers fitted this time last year and the carriers will be going too.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

In some point this year. Probably next time when eurocarparts have a good offer like 35% or 50% off

Is your car 530d with 535d brakes or standard 535d? 

Do they fit behind standard 530d wheels mv2?

Mine's standard 535D. They should fit behind MV2s no problem, I'd wait for someone else to clarify but I think MV2s were offered on the 535D. I have OEM Spiders on mine so there's miles of room.

3 hours ago, Paris 530d said:

Yes, bigger discs but pads are the same as is caliper and cradle.

1 hour ago, Grizzle_E60 said:

So calipers and carriers on the way, ordered a set of discs and pads they are a bloody fortune!!

Let me know how you get on dude. Did you get your discs from Euro Car Parts?

Got this set up on my 535d bit late on replying sorry, everything is bolt on, I didn't need to change rear hubs on mine, Evan over on 5series.net did change his when he did the conversion but think his was 4x4 before so different rear set up, callipers are huge even compared to 535d ones , just a shame there not 4 pots , change your hoses to Braided ones they'll bite better 

received_10159359401205249.jpeg

20170902_211316.jpg

received_10159359407930249.jpeg

On 31/08/2017 at 9:55 PM, Mashed Potatoes said:

As far as I know, the M5 setup will fit on the front, but not the back without changing the wheel hubs. I'm doing the same as you - going to M5 ones but I'm just going to do the front for now. Calipers, carriers discs and pads will be required. Hoses from what I remember reading will still fit but don't quote me on that.

One thing I would add, is although you can get rebuilt calipers for under £100 per side, the price of the carriers will make you laugh. It would be cheaper to buy a caliper and carrier set with pads from eBay, than it would to buy new carriers for BMW to go with rebuilt calipers. I think it was about £220 per side just for carriers. Buy your discs whilst they're on offer at Euro Car Parts too. I bought mine and with the offer they had on, it meant I effectively got one disc for free.

Even with the Mtec discs and EBC red stuff pads on mine, I've had them smoking and starting to fade after a 'hard' drive. The E60 is a heavy car - no getting around that.

Yeah tell me about it... it stank after that "little" run of ours :D

Mashed Potatoes likes this

12 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

Yeah tell me about it... it stank after that "little" run of ours :D

:lol: just a touch. I've refrained from doing xxxmph over that bridge since!

Took the advice of upgrading brake hoses, Absolutely skint now lol be next month the time i get them fitted so in the meantime i'll start the cleaning and painting.

Cheers for the advice guys. 

M88rt j likes this