Ram Rod

Service Record Book - not straightforward to obtain

25 posts in this topic

I don't like this new method of having the car's service records only accessible by a dealership. I like to see the datr and mileage a service was carried out, maybe to plan for the next one if for instance a holiday is close. If you sell the car privately in the years to come, how do you show the service history to a prospective buyer? It is unacceptable I have to drive for an hour to my nearest BMW dealership just to view the cars service record. Even as an owner, I have not been given online access to see my car's record. It is all a mystery.

In order to obtain a service book the registration of the car has to be provided because BMW have conveniently classed a service log book as a "security item". The registered owner also is required to provide ID and the car's regjstration documents. 

Every car I have ever owned has come with a service log book, but BMW are attempting in my view to put owners off of having their cars serviced at independents, who may not be equipped to access the car's service history electronically via the key. 

I am very surprised that this "protectionism" and attempt to thwart competition has been allowed by the British government or under EU competition rules. This is a deliberate measure by BMW to limit customer choice, and maintain its own exorbitant servicing and repair costs at its dealership networks and franchises.

I can buy a plain book anywhere IIke and call it a BMW Service Log Book. No security check required at WH Smith, no presentation of registration documents either. 

It is things like this that really put you off of a brand like BMW.
Edited by Ram Rod

I agree with you, I am pretty sure this is anti-competitive behaviour.  BMW also do not generally allow non-BMW garages access to the software to update the iDrive service record.

However, until someone challenges BMW in court, I think it's safe to say there will be no change.

Doesn't BMW keep a central record of service history?  I had a brake fluid change at an indy recently and they couldn't update my electronic record due to a connection issue. They showed me the tool. It looked like rheingold.

They phoned a week later to say they'd updated it. 

I do also have a service book but there is clearly something other than the idrive  (CIC is a countdown timer essentially) and the service book.

The service record is also available in the iDrive and shows when the service was done, the mileage, and what service items were attended to. The iDrive menu option is only available once the first service has been logged and if you choose the DIY route for servicing later there is a way for you to update the car manually using a tool a contributor in a different forum wrote along with an Enet cable. The car's service record is reupdated by BMW each time a service is done by them or an authorised 3rd party garage (which will overwrite any manual entries). The electronic service record was introduced in 2013 but it can be enabled for older CIC cars too. I have it enabled on my 2010 F11. 

sshooie likes this

31 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

The service record is also available in the iDrive and shows when the service was done, the mileage, and what service items were attended to. The iDrive menu option is only available once the first service has been logged and if you choose the DIY route for servicing later there is a way for you to update the car manually using a tool a contributor in a different forum wrote along with an Enet cable. The car's service record is reupdated by BMW each time a service is done by them or an authorised 3rd party garage (which will overwrite any manual entries). The electronic service record was introduced in 2013 but it can be enabled for older CIC cars too. I have it enabled on my 2010 F11. 

Thanks.. interesting 

So the idrive record, can that be viewed in Rheingold? 

BMW over writing manual records presumably is them copying their central record into the idrive which tallys with what I was referring to - the thing that the third party updated?

2 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Thanks.. interesting 

So the idrive record, can that be viewed in Rheingold? 

BMW over writing manual records presumably is them copying their central record into the idrive which tallys with what I was referring to - the thing that the third party updated?

The service record can't be viewed in Rheingold and yes, the entire record is resynchronised with BMW's central database each time they service the car. So an authorised 3rd party must updating that central DB too. 

1 minute ago, Matthew Ashton said:

The service record can't be viewed in Rheingold and yes, the entire record is resynchronised with BMW's central database each time they service the car. So an authorised 3rd party must updating that central DB too. 

Cool. Thanks.  So that tool you referred to presumably can read the record from idrive? Do you know if warranty work is recorded there too?

My car was an ex police car and just came with a print out. I bought a blank BMW service book from ebay and clipped the Police service history in there. Any subsequent services can get stamped in the book. The services since i have had it which has been around 6 months i have had work done by the dealer as the servicing has been slightly cheaper then an indy or same price.

2 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Cool. Thanks.  So that tool you referred to presumably can read the record from idrive? Do you know if warranty work is recorded there too?

No warranty work is recorded and the tool can only add events to the latest position. It can't read already written service events.  

I thought you could simply reset the service icon (in a similar way to the E60) using the trip button on the dash and this would then update what is shown on the idrive?

I plan to service mine myself with BMW doing selected services, such as vehicle check, but oil and brake fluid, I will be doing and reset using the dash buttons.

Or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

I thought you could simply reset the service icon (in a similar way to the E60) using the trip button on the dash and this would then update what is shown on the idrive?

I plan to service mine myself with BMW doing selected services, such as vehicle check, but oil and brake fluid, I will be doing and reset using the dash buttons.

Or am I missing something?

This discussion is about updating the iDrive list of services completed (and items within those services) which has replaced the paper service book for post 2013 vehicles across the BMW board. I think you are talking about resetting the interval indicator before the next service for a specific item is due. 

Well my 2010 car came with a book - which I believe is the best way to record work.

59 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Well my 2010 car came with a book - which I believe is the best way to record work.

Yes, until 2013 they all did. Now no longer and it is all in the iDrive which we with pre-2013 cars can also enable so we have the best of both worlds. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton
Calypso-E34 likes this

I take it you need Carly or something like that to activate it? I'm guessing my other services won't be in there anyway?

There is a software that allows you to add service records yourself, but you need to know the whole coding/flashing side of things. Ive added the services ive done myself since owning the car marked as an "indepenant" service.

I know however that if i happen to take the car to BMW at some point in the future they can possibly wipe out any history ive put in, so i keep a manual record to re-apply if needed.

IMG_20170813_092734.thumb.jpg.6d2f1052142353812aa53f0ca72a421e.jpg

IMG_20170813_092740.thumb.jpg.7a370dd22811569def2ff0fc59a57f7d.jpg

IMG_20170813_092745.thumb.jpg.13c149e114aca2580eafbcaca23dba68.jpg

535i Andrew likes this

My 2012 car did not have the service info on the Idrive by default I had to code it in

I like many others also make good use of my John Bull printing set to update the various paper copies with official looking smudges just like any reputable back street trader does

32 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

I take it you need Carly or something like that to activate it? I'm guessing my other services won't be in there anyway?

No idea if Carly can activate it, I used Esys to activate mine. Once I did this all services back to 2012 showed up so they are there just not visible. I think I may be missing the first service that was done just before I bought the car, I'd need to check. 

Thanks @IINexusII, I understand it now.

I knew I must have been missing something, pictures are always better for my brain to understand. It's an Engineer thing, drawings and pictures, good, words bad!

My car did not come with a service book and as it was less than a year old at the time nothing was in the idrive record. I simply bought a service book from Cotswold (no security checks required) and the first service was stamped in the book as well as shown on the idrive under the vehicle status section. 

I shall keep all stamps as well as receipts for future resale. 

Sounds a good thing to do, folk are fickle about wanting a paper service book but it's so easy to stamp up a book to show FSH, but if it's backed up by receipts, that's a different matter.

When I made a claim for corrosion warranty, they wanted a copy of the service book and what pi**** me off was that my car has never been outside the dealer network from date of registration. I was told no service book, no claim!

On 31/08/2017 at 11:06 PM, jake13 said:

When I made a claim for corrosion warranty, they wanted a copy of the service book and what pi**** me off was that my car has never been outside the dealer network from date of registration. I was told no service book, no claim!

As the service book was discontinued by BMW around the end 2012 beginning 2013 and assuming your car is post this change then they can't be asking for a service book as they don't exist (normally) and either a different BMW dealer needed to be approached or a polite but forceful contact should have been made to BMW Head Office.