d_a_n1979

Change of grilles for my Sapphire Metallic black E39

7 posts in this topic

Going to change the kidney grilles when it's in the body shop; not going back to chrome as I don't like them and there isn't any other chome for it to match etc

Been looking on Schmiedmann and like their gloss black and black chorole grilles here: https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E39/kidneys-pg94-catn-ol

Certainly no forking out for the carbon ones :lol: 

But what do you reckon, gloss black, or black chrome?!

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

; not going back to chrome as I don't like them and there isn't any other chome for it to match etc

that shoukld be the very reason you should keep them Chrome ..its a BMW tradition ..they stand out especially on a black car  ..black ones are gash looking ( just IMO tho ..if we were all the same it woudl be boring lol )

:)

46 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

Black chrome is a good compromise. My E39 is not black but I've had those for years and would never go back.

My thoughts exactly

I,ve got black chrome on the Topaz Sport Touring and really like them,even the Mrs said they look better than the chrome ones so that was a rare win win day.

d_a_n1979 likes this

I've been thinking about the Schmiedmann black chrome grills for a while. The M5 board has a thread dedicated to them so you can see most colour combos on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine started life with chrome grilles (car is black) back in 1999. When I bought the car in 2009, by then the chrome originals were a bit worn looking and pitted so I replaced with satin black.

A few weeks ago I replaced the now faded black ones with chrome again which, IMO, looks better against black paintwork. There's probably an element of the 'different' look after a long while as well, which leads you to thinking it looks better than it was!

But, in answer to the question, black chrome...

Edited by Loadmaster